Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Reaper brushes

Hey guys

thinkin of snaggin a couple of these next time I place a net order. Just curious too anyone that uses them, how are they?? I've used W&N & other sable brushes, they're ok, but not what I thought they would be.

thanks

Randy M

I've heard mixed reviews.

Some people say they are great, others don't like them.

I say pick up just one and try it out and see how it works for you before you buy an entire set.

You talking about the Reaper Nylons or the almost released Sables? The Nylons are, well, nylons. I've got a 3/0 liner and a 2 brush in the Nylon and they've kept in good shape since last march. I use the 2 for bases and large blocking in, and the 3/0 for times when I want a firm brush vs. sable....

I also use brush cleaner on a regular basis, which extends their life... soooo... treat 'em right and they'll treat ya right... No curling on 'em either...

Hope that helps.

Michael G / IXMINIS

I too have a handful of the Nylon brushes.

the ones I abused mercilessly look it, but the ones I treated with respect are going strong.

my #2 flat is really hurting, but I've not been kind to it.

my points are still sharp.

I'm waiting for the sable which should ship this week. They should be in my stocking on the 25th.

cher ^_^

I use Loew-Cornell brand American Painter brushes. They are golden taklon. The ones I have abused definitely are showing it. Like the ones I drybrush and apply primer with or apply varnish with. And they are kept solely for that purpose.

My other brushes look just fine. I've had some over two years now. As long as you take proper care of a brush it should last you a long time. A good thing to do is always reform the tip with wet fingers after cleaning the brush, and always store your brush bristles up. It has worked for me.

Say gang, where does one find a good brush cleaner? I looked at my FLGS the other day, but did not see anything... I've just been using soap and water to clean mine.

SK

I've heard the Winsor & Newton brush cleaner is excellent, but I haven't used it myself.

Well, I have been using only water fpr cleaning my brushes, and they have held up pquite good. On average, a brush lasts me about 2-3 years, but then again, painting 6 minis a year doesn't seem to wear heavily on them.

I use plain soap and warm water. Works fine for me.

I have heard of some people using "Pink Soap" by Mona Lisa art supplies. It is sold at Michaels.

Hey guys

thinkin of snaggin a couple of these next time I place a net order. Just curious too anyone that uses them, how are they?? I've used W&N & other sable brushes, they're ok, but not what I thought they would be.

thanks

Randy M

I picked up one for my kids and tried it. I'm the only one who has used it and I know how to take care of brushes. The tip curled and then splayed out so it will not form a point any longer. This tends to happen with synthetic brushes like Taklon but it usually takes months of use for a brush to get this bad. I think you can get better Taklons from Loew Cornel for less money.

What don't you like about your sable brushes? Are they Kolinsky like WN Series 7s?

clay

Say gang, where does one find a good brush cleaner? I looked at my FLGS the other day, but did not see anything... I've just been using soap and water to clean mine.

SK

If you are using synthetic brushes it probably doesn't make much difference if you use dish soap or brush cleaner. I like "The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver" that comes in a cake enclosed in a tan plastic container for routine cleaning. For troublesome cleaning like some paint dried on the brush I use WN Brush Cleaner and Restorer. This solution will bring brushes back from the brink. If you get some be careful not to let any get on the handle as it will disolve that paint as well. You can strip minis with this stuff.

With sable brushes I treat them to some hair conditioner after cleaning, rinse, form a point and lightly spray them with hairspray before returning them to their rack. This is per a brush manufacturers suggestion.

clay

With sable brushes I treat them to some hair conditioner after cleaning, rinse, form a point and lightly spray them with hairspray before returning them to their rack. This is per a brush manufacturers suggestion.

clay

Now I have never heard of using hair conditioner before, but why not? It's hair! ::D:

I have only a couple hair brushes but I use them so infrequently that they have remained in great shape.

I have quite a few of the Reaper Golden Taklon brushes, and my 3/0 and 5/0 brushes have a bit of a curled tip now. I've been using them less than two months.

They weren't bad for a start, though.

I suppose I should get some W&N brushes, assuming I can actually find them. I've looked at Michael's, but I'm not sure I was looking in the right place. :unsure: