Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Reaper brushes

I suppose I should get some W&N brushes, assuming I can actually find them. I've looked at Michael's, but I'm not sure I was looking in the right place. :unsure:

You will have to go to Art Hardware or Meiningers for WN Series 7s and they will be pricey.

For cleaning brushes I use good ol' fashioned rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol. I use the 90%+ stuff as its the same thing I use to thin acrylic airbrush paints, though I don't think this should be a factor. I clean my brushes periodically, ecxept when painting with red or blue; then I clean them immediately.

Damon.

For cleaning brushes I use good ol' fashioned rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol.

What kind of brushes do you use?

I would guess alcohol would be too harsh on natural hair brushes.

I suppose I should get some W&N brushes, assuming I can actually find them. I've looked at Michael's, but I'm not sure I was looking in the right place. :unsure:

Most Michaels do not carry the W&N series 7 if that is what you are looking for. They do carry W&N brushes, usually open stock in with the other paintbrushes in the main brush aisle. That would be aisle 17 in my store.

I did have the pleasure of borrowing one of Anne's lovely brushes while in Texas, and it happened to be one of the brand spankin' new Reaper Brushes. I liked them quite a bit. One day, I need to order a set for myself.

As for W/N's, the Michael's near my house carries all but the Series 7. (I got funny looks when I asked for Krylon White Primer, they only carry grey) but otherwise they are a good resource to go to.

--...when I can afford it, that is...

--LSH

Yeah those are two very much asked for items to that no Michaels store I know of actually carries. I have had several customers ask for series 7 brushes. Why Michaels does not carry them is something I do not understand. As for the White primer, who knows? Why do we only carry grey and not also black and white? I don't know.

If you want to make suggestions, Corporate offices are in Irving Texas. Look them up. In fact there is an 800 number on the bottom of all those flyers you get in the newspapers. Use it. It seems corporate will listen to customers more than they will employees who state what customers actually want.

I would love to see them carry flocking. They used to a LONG time ago then got rid of it.

I have some of the Reaper sable brushes; they are indeed Kolinsky and well-made, very comparable to the Series 7. Mine are still in great shape after almost a year (I got some 'previews').

Yes, hair conditioner is good for sable brushes! They need the oil restored on occasion, and this provides more than brush soaps. I always use it after working with alcohol-based paints or washes; the deep-conditioning treatment stuff is best. I'd imagine that it would also be good after cleaning with alcohol (which does remove paint very efficiently). Work in, leave to penetrate, then rinse out thoroughly.

I don't think I'd use hairspray, myself, after cleaning. One, I'm a brush-licker, and two, I'd worry about the polymer coating adversely affecting brush performance.

I don't buy Taklon or other synthetic brushes anymore. Just is cheaper in the long run, for me, to go with natural hair. ^_^

Conditioner? I hadn't thought of that! Heck, if it works on my silken locks, then it should work just fine on the brushes. Thanks for that idea!

--besides, I have a Costco-sized container of conditioner, I'm sure I can spare some from the shower...

--LSH

Hmm I am starting to learn how important it is to keep the brushes clean. I quit literly go through 1 brush a day but thats also because I paint 4-5 hours aday and I get cheapo wallmart nylon brushes.

I am gonna reprimend that though.

Now for you people who paint for hours a day do you clean your brushes at the end of the day when you are done painting or every 30 min or so???

Also I have noticed that specielly ink will bend the tip bad quikly have you guys noticed this to??? Or maybe its my low quality brushes.

Thanks for the conditioner idea I will remember that when I get some good sable brushes.

::P:

Vl, it's a mixture. Cheap brushes and not cleaning them after a while will kill a brush quickly.

I tend to rinse mine in brush cleaner, then go to regular water, then another dip in regular water in a seperate drawer.

And that's every time I either switch colors or if I notice paint getting too close to the ferrule.

Also, after an hour or so I'll give my brush a thorough cleaning before I start back in. It gives my back and eyes a rest and gets my brush clean.

And your brushes, even the cheap ones, will last longer if you clean them more frequently.

For cleaning brushes I use good ol' fashioned rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol.

What kind of brushes do you use?

I would guess alcohol would be too harsh on natural hair brushes.

I use almost only sable, except for a handful of nylon brushes I find useful for mixing washes or drybrushing. I haven't had a problem with them yet, but then I also change brushes frequently (every couple months). The alcohol has nothing to do with it; paint getting under the ferrule (such as from cappilary action when applying washes) does.

Damon.

I use almost only sable, except for a handful of nylon brushes I find useful for mixing washes or drybrushing. I haven't had a problem with them yet, but then I also change brushes frequently (every couple months). The alcohol has nothing to do with it; paint getting under the ferrule (such as from cappilary action when applying washes) does.

Damon.

WN Brush Cleaner and Restorer will get paint out from under the ferrule even dried paint. I've soaked brushes in it that appeared clean and could see solution and paint coming down from the ferrule as it's being disolved. Amazing for a product that's listed as non-toxic and biodegradable.

I use plain soap and warm water. Works fine for me.

I have heard of some people using "Pink Soap" by Mona Lisa art supplies. It is sold at Michaels.

I bought a bottle of Pink Soap last time I stopped in an art supply store. It has worked well for me in cleaning my brushes so far.

It also did a great job of cleaning a spilled blue ink wash out of the carpet.

In addition to cleaning, it is also a restorer, and help bring a 10 year old Floquil brand Sable brush back to being usable.

--besides, I have a Costco-sized container of conditioner, I'm sure I can spare some from the shower...

hmmm

'hammer & brushes in the shower

I can see 'Hammer's significant other--"Whatcha doin??" "Oh nothing just washing my hair & my brushes"

I'll never understand that obssesion of yours!!!!!!!! ::P:

I've had decent results with Pink Soap, but I think it's more for oil paints & such. I use Better Way Brush Cleaning Fluid for my brush cleanup, got a big bottle at Micheal's, works great gettin rid of Reaper paint traces in my brushes!!

Randy M