Sign in to follow this  
fanguad

02531: Dobbin, Halfling

Presenting the base coat of one of my winter break WIPs. This is for a player of mine's halfing paladin of Sarenrae. Sarenrae's colors are red and gold, thus the prominence of those colors. By the way, that's Christmas Wreath on the base. The gold bits, armor and sword are all metallics. (Also, I can see a few spots I missed on his left side (our right))

DSC02277.JPGDSC02288.JPG

I knew I'd screw it up if I tried to modify his shield, so I left the hedgehog intact.

Here's the best blazonry I came up with for his shield: Argent, a saltair cotised gules, a hedgehog rampant reversed tawny and a crown or

Does anyone know enough about blazonry to tell me if this description is correct?

DSC02293.JPG

Next steps will be to fix those spots I missed, then add shadows.

• Like 2

Close. I'd blazon that as:

Argent, a saltire cotised gules, over all a hedgehog rampant sinister proper, crowned or.

Note that I don't know of any specific terminology for hedgehog positions, so if it exists, you would want to change that out. And I went with "proper" because "tawny" is a seldom-used color in British heraldry (and that doesn't look especially tawny, which is an orangish brown, to me).

Thanks! Everything I know about blazonry was learned over the course of 15 minutes via wikipedia and linked sites. I didn't know if sinister or reversed was correct (or the order of adjectives). The site I had listed proper, but didn't have a color swatch. I think it's hilarious that a halfling would have a hedgehog as part of his coat of arms :P

Edited by fanguad

"Proper" isn't a color, but rather indicates that the device is painted in its natural color. Now for heraldry, "natural color" can be a bit flaky, but brown for a hedgehog would be reasonable. Another option, if you use add the colors of French heraldry (occasionally used in England as well), you could also blazon it as "brunatre" (brown).

I shaded his skin and cloak. I tried going a few shades darker on the cloak than I was comfortable with, to try to increase the contrast.

I also put a black wash on his armor and brown on his hair.

post-8582-0-00562500-1356560461.jpg

post-8582-0-37221200-1356560463.jpg

• Like 1

Highlighting on the cloak. Highlighting and shading on the rest of him. Any ideas on how to make him look better? Otherwise, I think he's done.

post-8582-0-54772600-1356735567.jpg

post-8582-0-70982500-1356735569_thumb.jpg

post-8582-0-72424400-1356735571.jpg

• Like 1

Unless it's just the photo, you need to go higher and lower on highlights/shadows. It's not easy, I know. What looks okay from a distance might not look so good close up.

Ishil

His feets good use more hair, but this seems to be a sculpting issue... :-)

I like the mini. How you painted the hair and the eyes.

Ishil ist correct, it could need more highlights. I hate highlights, I'm still in training with them... If you have the skills to make them, do it, if not wait with it. Because he is already nice painted.

You could freehand some hair on the feet, the same colors as on his head.

I also agree with Ishil, a bit more shading (particularly in the face) and some highlighting would help make him pop.

That cloak is turning out really well. Even though you went past where you were comfortable the extra amount of shading really works for it.

To make him look better use alternating dark purple and dark blue washes to shade or purples and a red or purple brown. He's got a great facial expression so you're going to want to try and make that more intense. I'd suggest darkening under the eyebrows, right under the cheek bones and under the bottom lip (but maybe not the chin). You'll want to also use the same colors on the hands and feet for consistency's sake.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. They'll have to apply to the next one I paint though, as I finished this guy up over the holiday (though I forgot to post final pictures apparently). I'll try to get some up soon, but there's not much change from the last set of pictures.

Hey, just wanted to pop in to say that I think the heraldric word for hedgehog is "urcheon," as per this page, making the proper heraldry "Argent, a saltire cotised gules, over all an urcheon rampant sinister proper, crowned or."

nice. my player is horrified by the amount of thought put into that shield (though he quite like the idea of a "sinister hedgehog")

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this