Sign in to follow this  
ObsidianCrane

Base Sizes?

I play Icingstead so I do feel your pain about the base sizes. Many of the larger models overlap or just don't look right on their game defined base size.

However, the sizes are needed for the game mechanic so I just suck it up. I am looking forward to my Bones frost wyrm and ice giant king so that I can base them the way I really want to.

Interesting, I was just coming on here with this same question. In my case, i am about to paint the Reptus Hydra and it barely fits the giant base. I am painting this for the ReaperCon painting contest and want the base to look good, and frankly, the 2" base just looks silly under the huge hydra. Would I still be able to play the Hydra at an official game (i.e., ReaperCon) if I put it on a slightly larger base, say 60mm x 80mm? The Hydra sticks so far out of the 2" base that is already enacts the if-you-can't-get-to-the-base-get-close rule from all sides.

Andy

The quick and easy answer is: no. It would not be legal for tournament play.

...[snip].... to be on 25 mm bases on 40 mm bases, I guess that is your choice since you will most likely just be playing with people in your local area and might not be a big deal. But, if you were to play against more experienced players, there actually are several significant differences in how they play in the game that your opponents would take advantage of....[snip]....

@Stubbdog: In Warlord, being on an incorrect, but larger, base size is nearly always a disadvantage to the figure on the over-sized base, T/F?

Does it ever give advantages to the figure on the over-sized base?

...[snip]....This is true, however, with a 40, it is easier to achieve multiple base contacts both offensively and defensively. Packing more than a few around a 25 requires careful planning, while a 40mm has a much easier time basing multiple models in a spread defensive formation. Also, while the same number of maximum contacts for 25's is not different between 25s and 40s, it does change the number of 40's that can base it....[snip]....

25s and 40s? Do I need to revise that chart I made?

Are the Warlord figures supplied with Metric 25mm and 40mm bases or are they denominated in inches? Is Warlord specified as imperial or metric? (Has it morphed over the years from one to the other?)

Biggest difference is/would be between a 38mm base (1.5inches) and a 40mm base. The other sizes are much closer.

For your question directed at Stubbdog, the answer is false. As OC pointed out, there are a number of situations where larger base size is a disadvantage, and a number where it is an advantage, and some situations where it is both an advantage and a disadvantage depending on the exact circumstances. The points cost for models take into account their base size, and how their abilities interact with it.

The first couple lines of OC's post regarding base size are also right on the mark. Don't fret about a millimeter here or there. At the scale of the game, it is not statistically significant, and if you find yourself in a situation where bases are not matching up quite perfect because of the differences between metric- and imperial-cut bases, you and your opponent should be able to agree what *should* be happening on the table.

~v

I wasn't fretting / don't fret about the difference† between metric/imperial when gaming. But I did want to get it correct and per specification on that list I put together earlier in this thread. (I'll dig up the book eventually, it is around here somewhere.)

† -I wouldn't even fuss about Talespinner's Hydra on a non-standard over-size base.

I think what I am going to do is to create two bases for it, both from steel. The first will be a play base 2" x 2". The second will be larger, but asthetically pleasing. Then I'll get 4 rare-earth magnets and embed them in the bottom of it's feet. Then I will be able to swap bases at will, and yet have a good show-quality mini.

Andy

• Like 4

I think what I am going to do is to create two bases for it, both from steel. The first will be a play base 2" x 2". The second will be larger, but asthetically pleasing. Then I'll get 4 rare-earth magnets and embed them in the bottom of it's feet. Then I will be able to swap bases at will, and yet have a good show-quality mini.

Andy

Great idea! You might also base on the larger base and somehow on the base mark the edges of the smaller tourney legal base size.

I don't know much about Warlord, I never played the game and haven't read the book. When looking at the Online Store I see the Hydra and the Turtle Dragon are part of the Reptus army. I also see Deathsleet is part of the Icingstead faction and they are probably all supposed to be fit on 2 x 2 inches base.

Then, what about 10012 Kaladrax and 10014 Cinder? I know they are not part of the Warlord game but for D&D purpose will it be appropriate to fit Cinder on a 4 x 4 base and Kaladrax on a 5 x 5 base? I think it would be hard to fit Kaladrax on a 4 x 4 base.

Edited by Metalchaos

For DnD fit them on the base size they should be on for the size of monster you want them to be.

25mm = Medium

50mm = Large

75mm = Huge

100mm = Colossal

125mm = Gargantuan

Is the way it goes from memory.

• Like 1

IIRC, like most of the small boxed dragons that stand on just their hind legs, Cinder's stance is small enough that you could squeeze him on a 50mm, if you really wanted. Unless you wanted to proxy him for one of the other dragons in Warlord, I would put him on at least a 75, and maybe a 100. I think I've got Stormwing mounted on a 75, and he looks pretty good that way.

~v

• Like 1

Thanks guys! But, I thought Gargantuan monsters were smaller than Colossal ones. I've found contradictory references, according to d20srd website Gargantuan takes 20 ft. or 4"x4" base space and Colossal takes 30 ft. or 6"x6" base space.

There is so many references out there on the web, do you have any online stats that I could refer too?

Thanks again!

Edited by Metalchaos