So, for Christmas my parents went down my Reaper shopping list and scored one of each of the Anhurian units I had put on there - I had thought I might get one or tw, but all at once? WAHOO!

Now I have a small horde of little metal men crying out to be painted and fielded, not to mention 3 Doors Down playing in the back of my head...

Here's the first wave, with my already painted Anhurians.

post-8164-0-44848800-1356631008_thumb.jpg

Waiting in the wings are an Anhurian elite guard, an Anhurian cavalry, and two swordsmen - I think there were supposed to be four in the blister, though, so I have an e-mail into Reaper about that, and I'll wait on unblistering them until I hear back.

I'm torn on doing them all in the "stock" sapphire blue color, ala L2PK1 (and my current Anhurians), and separating them into squads and doing some blue, some red, and maybe some green.

I've separated the men-at-arms, crossbowmen, and archers into two units, and done the first half with Reaper brush-on primer. The plan right now is to do the other unit in black gesso. ::):

post-8164-0-14222400-1356631423_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I painted my anhurians in Red, Blue, Green, and Purple, so my players could say "I'm attacking the blue guy" etc.

If I had it to do again, I'd do them all in stock brown with markings - say a colored shoulderpad, an ensign on the helm, or something, so they looked more like a unit.

YMMV

I usually do blue or purple pants and markings for these guys. For some reason they seem to cry out for it. But if I get around to it, I'll probably eventually do some red.

I am a big fan of the Anhurian guys. There's something so classic and quaint about them (and I mean that in a good way). They are in ever way the archetypal little metal soldiers. I think maybe I like them so much because they remind me of the style of my old Grenadiers, only they actually really look good! (No offense, Grenadier, I know you did your best.)

• Like 1

You could do 3 units.

First finish a unit with your basic blue.

Then do 1 with a uniform that is half blue and half another colour (like white or yellow). So all the cloth on right side if the mini might be blue, and all the cloth on the left white.

Then do the third unit the reverse of the second unit.

This will give you three distinct units that together give you a cohesive looking force as well.

• Like 2

I have a bunch, I should pull them out and work on them, cant wait to see how these progress

correction, I have about 5... I need more :P

Edited by nytflyr
  • Like 1

There's always room for more Anhurians! ::P:

So, I did the black gesso for the other half of the army; the intention here is to see, once and for all, the differences between white and black undercoating. I did three of my original Anhurians with black undercoats, and the one from the L2PK with white, so I already had a little experience with this. This is more of a "just for fun" thing.

post-8164-0-53839400-1356664391_thumb.jpg -> Here's the twelve, black and white.

I drybrushed white over the black undercoat to bring out the details. -> post-8164-0-14778100-1356664454_thumb.jpg

I separated the twelve into two units, six and six - three each of the black undercoat, and the white. I'm just dealing with the first six right now; the next six will probably get a different color scheme, maybe red. I like the idea of having the base units red and blue, and then the elite units - the Elite Guard, cavalry, and leaders (when I get them) in a purple, since I got a bunch of purples for Christmas.

Next step is the skin - I started using the L2PK1 instructions and applied Tanned Skin (09044), but then changed it up a bit by using a Tanned Shadow (09043) wash rather than Intense Brown. I applied highlights of Tanned Highlight (09045), rather than drybrushing, touching the cheeks, chin, and top of the mouth.

post-8164-0-83683700-1356664570_thumb.jpg

Eyes... well. Much like others on these forums, I hate doing eyes. Walnut Brown (09136) on the eye sockets, then a touch of Linen White (09061), and then dotted the sockets to make pupils. I tried all the usual tricks for this - holding the mini upside down, steadying my hands against the table, etc - and it still only worked out so-so, especially on the crossbowmen with their enveloping hoods. So... no close-ups for you. ::P:

I hit the cloth and the shield face on the spearmen with Sapphire Blue (09016); I had some issues with coverage this time around, so I may need to do another coat to be sure before I do a wash and highlight.

post-8164-0-89480200-1356665140_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

In my opinion, these guys are the quintesential disgruntled guardsmen/soldier, faithfully manning their posts in the worst of weather. Your progress is truly enhancing this, I dont think they suffer without Disney eyes. Drybrushing from black is the what i did with these gents and you've already surpassed what mine look like finished. Keep it up!

• Like 2

So we had an impromptu Paint Night Saturday, and I managed to knock out the vast majority of the work that needed to be done on these six. Now, if I can just recall what I did...

Well, the cloth was touched up with Sapphire Blue, got a Walnut Brown wash, and then was dry brushed with Sapphire again for highlights, just about as L2PK1 demanded. For the metal, I based the metal bits on the white-primed guys with a 50/50 Ultramarine Blue/Walnut Brown mix - following the instructions in L2PK5. They were painted Honed Steel, then all the metal surfaces were given a Formula P3 Armor Wash. I haven't put highlights back on, debating whether to do so or not - I rather like the armor being dark and worn.

Wood was Intense Brown, with a Formula P3 Flesh Wash over top.

Leather was Oiled Leather, with Formula P3 Brown Ink over it.

Bases still need to be done, and there are numerous touch ups that need to be applied still, but the vast majority of the work here is done - I can field them without shame, at least. ::):

Better pictures when I think of it, these ones were done at Paint Night under suboptimal lighting.

post-8164-0-88097400-1356932899_thumb.jpgpost-8164-0-88131000-1356932927_thumb.jpgpost-8164-0-78571000-1356932953_thumb.jpgpost-8164-0-58981300-1356933310_thumb.jpg

Edited by Last Knight
  • Like 5

Looking good. Are you seeing a difference between the white and black undercoats?

Very much so in some cases, much less so in others. ::): I think, for the most part, it's personal preference - but the colors on the white background do look much brighter than on the black, and the metal on the black background looks much grittier. It's pretty interesting, but that's why I did the comparison; I wasn't sure when I'd have several of the same figures side by side to prime in two different ways and paint at the same time, again.

post-8164-0-80895200-1357066036_thumb.jpgpost-8164-0-69755500-1357066064_thumb.jpgpost-8164-0-82931500-1357066088_thumb.jpgpost-8164-0-74561300-1357066115_thumb.jpgpost-8164-0-95216400-1357066152_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

After my experience with Dain's chainmail, for a mini in mail I think I'd prime it black and undercoat light colors. I painted, thinned, painted, washed, etc...and there are still white pinholes visible in Dain's mail. Arg.