Winter 2013 Figure Exchange

recruittons

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly counts as too cold to spray? I'm also reffering to spray paint, not airbrushing.

I attempted to spray in near freezing weather- at one point nothing would escape from the can. So for the rest of the winter I'm trying out brush on primer. It seems to work just fine! My exchange project has just arrived, and is now ready to be painted on.

Is there a good brush on sealer? Or combinations of sealers that anyone uses?

• Like 1

Until winter is over, I'm using Citadel 'ardcoat followed by watered-down Reaper Brush-on Sealer. I am not terribly pleased by the finish, which comes out on the shinier side of "satin." As soon as spring rolls around, everything I've painted over the winter gets a coat of Dullcote.

• Like 2

Until winter is over, I'm using Citadel 'ardcoat followed by watered-down Reaper Brush-on Sealer. I am not terribly pleased by the finish, which comes out on the shinier side of "satin." As soon as spring rolls around, everything I've painted over the winter gets a coat of Dullcote.

I've found that 'ardcoat followed by army painter matte varnish gets pretty nice results!

• Like 1

I've used Krylon at very close to freezing with no major problems. That said, I do all my shaking inside, take the paint outside and start spraying right away, then go back inside for the paint to dry.

The only time the paint is really exposed to the cold is between the can and the mini.

Note that I would never try a spray sealer at those temperatures, though. Primer can be stripped pretty easily if there's a problem (and it's normally obvious that there is a problem, but sealer is both touchier and can't be stripped without great pain.

What exactly counts as too cold to spray? I'm also reffering to spray paint, not airbrushing.

I attempted to spray in near freezing weather- at one point nothing would escape from the can. So for the rest of the winter I'm trying out brush on primer. It seems to work just fine! My exchange project has just arrived, and is now ready to be painted on.

I know several people that use Future floor polish for an acrylic sealant. OF course, it's super-glossy, and requires a follow-up coat of Dullcote (if you dislike shinies).

I have to say, I love having a glass-blowing studio to hand. I've never had issues spraying primer. Interestingly enough, I still prefer brush-on (ideally via airbrush).

-Dave

• Like 2

At the risk of being a weiner in my first exchange...My exchange mini turned into something of an experiment in new techniques the more things went off the rails :) So I'm going to paint a different mini for my poor recipient rather than send along something I'm not comfortable sending (actually, it should work out to a pair of minis I'll be sending).

I could probably have just not said anything, since I kept the wraps on the project, but I have an honesty problem :wow:

And since the wheels came off the bus trying NMM, I'm going to slot in my new exchange project AFTER doing kit 3.

• Like 1

On spraying: I moved the cans upstairs to the warm part of the house and then took things into the basement to spray after the cans were warm (it's about 55 degrees and 56% rh downstairs). I do need some sort of ventilation, I try to spray quickly and get out but the old lady complains it makes the house smell funky :)

• Like 1

Just thought I would post that my exchange mini I am painting is almost done. Did a little experiment on True metal mettalics and really shading and highlighting with them, Like I would any other paint color and am super happy with the results. Also working with color theory and the idea that just because I have 120 colors does not mean that I have to use everyone of them on a figure.

• Like 1