Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant_Crunch

More X-Wing Fun

I've been playing the full version with my 9 and 13 year old sons. Sometimes they miss on the combinations of effects, but overall they get the hang of it.

I'm 41 and I still have the same problem. :lol:

Yeah I am pretty sure my eldest would be able to play the full version if I translated the cards to Danish. Realistically that's not really going to happen though, but in a few years she'll be able to read the original English cards I guess.

I know that the game is available in other languages. A couple days ago someone was asking about an error in the German rulebook on FFG's forums. Look around the internet and you might be able to find stuff in Danish or at least your kids' second language.

Honestly though, being able to read the cards isn't the most important part of this game. Its the tactical planning and spacial reasoning. 9 times out of 10, when I'm watching two evenly matched opponents play, the guy who loses is the first one who accidentally hits an asteroid, or bumps his ships, or even moves one of them off of the map. Losing an action or two is hard to overcome. Losing an opportunity to shoot b/c you're on an asteroid or in B2B with a model is usually fatal.

Its the tactical planning and spacial reasoning.

Ugh.... perfect example last night. I was running a Fire Spray upgraded w/Expert Handling so it could do barrel rolls. I'd just flown between a formation of TIEs on my right and Vader alone on my left. When I planned my move I'd wanted to barrel roll to the right, but after resolving my move and seeing where his Academy TIEs were all at, that roll would have put me in the firing arc of 3 TIEs instead of the 2 that currently had shots at me, so I decided to sit still and use a Focus action instead. I glanced at my ship a second time and a lightbulb went off in my head, but it was too late, my opponent had already flipped over Vader's maneuver dial.

I hadn't thought about rolling left b/c I wanted to roll forward to open up space between me and the TIEs, and there was an asteroid right where I would have gone. The lightbulb was me realizing that if I'd rolled left and backwards though, it would have put me right in front of the asteroid (I would have definitely hit it the next turn) but taken me out of the firing arc of both TIEs. And as it turned out, it would have put me out of Vader's arc too. Instead, Vader pulled a 2 Turn which was just enough to get me inside of his left arc and he proceeded to send Cluster Missiles up my tail pipe. Between him and the other two TIEs I took 5 points of damage. It should have been worse but he missed w/his final Cluster Missile, leaving me w/2 hull left. He killed me off on the next turn though and that pretty much sealed the game.

I still had Chewie left in the Falcon (we were playing a mixed faction game) but he was out-numbered 5:1. I took out two more TIEs but couldn't finish off Vader before time expired and I lost the match on points: 52-42. ::(:

Oh, and I made one other big mistake before that. I started the ships on opposite edges of the board planning on using a pincer movement, but Chewie had to turn to cut in between two asteroids and couldn't make it. I ended up parked on an asteroid on turn 2 and just sitting there instead of being able to shoot at a TIE fighter right in front of me.

Edited by Chrome

Select Target stores have started to put the core box on Clearance. I see guys on bgg.com reporting as low as $20. One of the Targets here in Omaha had it clearance priced for $27 a couple of weeks ago, but the two stores by my neighborhood were still selling it at regular price, so you may have to look around.

Its still selling for $30 at Target.com.

The curse of living in a tiny country is that pretty much nothing gets translated since the market is simply too small for it to make sense. My guess is it's available in English, German, French and Spanish. But yeah I don't think it's that big of a problem.

Had an awesome 5 player game yesterday. 4 ties, vader in an advanced and a firespray vs 2 x-wings a y-wing and a YT-1300. The imps consistently rolled two or three evade on 3 dice (not even using focus to achieve it) and won with only one lost tie.

• Like 1

I'm on an 0-4 streak in my league and hating this game right now. <_<

Lost 2 weeks ago on points b/c my opponent spent the last 3 turns running away from me so I couldn't kill any of his ships. Even a 12-pt TIE would have given me enough points for the win. (game detailed two or three posts above)

Lost last week in what was possibly the most Epic game I've ever played. Even tho I lost, this game was great. Both of us played excellently and it went right down to the wire. R2-D2 won the game for my opponent, as I had to have done at least 15-16 points of damage to his Y-Wing, but that little droid kept refilling his shields.

Last night I went 0-2 for the first time on a league night and I wasn't very happy about it. Not mad, just bummed b/c there wasn't really much I could do about it. Just horrible, horrible, horrible die rolls in my first game, then a combination of 1 bad move and more bad dice in the second game. First game I took Han and 2 A-Wings while my opponent had Han and 2 X-Wings. On the first round of shooting, he got 6 hits on the Falcon and 1 on an A-Wing. I managed to deal 1 whole point to him. I don't think that either of my A-Wings managed to inflict a single point of damage, despite taking multiple shots. It just didn't matter what I rolled, he rolled better. On the final turn, his Han killed my Han, but b/c of they had the same Pilot Skill my Han still got to shoot and finally brought down one of his X-Wings. 5 turns of shooting to kill an X-WING!!!! ::(:

Second game I took two Bounty Hunters, but pretty much screwed myself on the 2nd turn. I misjudged distances and used a Boost action on one of my guys. Before the boost I was outside of weapons range on anything and I thought the boost would get me into range 3, where I wanted to be. Instead it put the front corner of my base inside of range 2 of a pair of A-Wings with Cluster Missiles. Between those and his X-Wing, I took 8 pts of damage. The next turn things started to look up for me when he moved all of his ships into a bunch right behind my other BH and I hit them all with a Seismic Charge. Problem was that one of his stupid ships blocked the tiniest back corner of my other BH so he couldn't move out of the way and took damage from the mine too. That left that guy w/only 1 pt of damage left, plus sitting on an asteroid! We had a good laugh about that tho b/c luckily I hadn't taken any damage from the asteroid. If I had, I would have blown up my own ship w/my mine. :wacko: I still couldn't manage to hit he broad-side of a barn tho. My BH's both had boost and I used it repeatedly to deny his guys shots at me, but then just whiff on my attack rolls. Even with Gunner! On one turn, he had two ships lined up on me and I boosted out of range of one and right into the side of his X-Wing at point blank range. Rolled 4 dice twice and couldn't manage a single hit! :down:

I just bought my 4th X-Wing last weekend, so I think I'm just gonna fly four of those next week so I'm rolling the most attack dice humanly possible. (For a Rebel fleet that is. I can't bring myself to play a TIE swarm.)

How much do you guys upgrade? It seems you actually pay for each upgrade slot your model has, so it seems a waste not to use them. Besides some are just freakishly good deals

Depends on the ship.

I upgrade the hell out of the Fire Spray. It should always have a Seismic Charge and crewman. The Heavy Laser Cannon is beautiful, but can't shoot backwards, but I haven't used it the last two times trying other things. I'll probably switch back to it. Here's my squad from 2 weeks ago: Krassis uses his ability to reroll one die for secondary weapons on the missiles and torp. Kath uses his basic weapon (instead of HLC) to hopefully Stress a target or two.

99 points

Kath Scarlet - Seismic Charges, Marksmanship, Gunner - 48 points

Krassis Trelix - Cluster Missiles, Seismic Charges, Gunner, Slave-1, Proton Torpedoes - 51 points

My Falcon is different every time, but it usually has a lot of upgrades too. Especially when its Chewie. With Han, I've gone as light as just Marksmanship and Gunner on him.

Y-Wings only ever get used when upgraded w/Ion Turrets and usually a Droid on named Y-Wings.

I only upgrade named X-Wings (Luke, Biggs, Wedge) and then sparsely. I'm not a huge fan of lots of stuff on Wedge b/c he's already going to be their primary target and usually dies first. Although Wedge + Push the Limit + Torp is brutal and worth it. Biggs I upgrade the hell out of though, due to his role. I like Biggs + R2-F2 + Stealth Generator. That gives him 4 Agility.

Vader definitely wants upgrades: Cluster Missiles + Marksmanship are good. Push the Limit is fun w/him if not especially awesome. The only other TIE unit I've ever used is Howlrunner, who always gets Stealth Device and sometimes gets Swarm Tactics.

Edited by Chrome

I usually use upgrades, especially for my Imperials since it's easy for my Rebel collection to out do them on points (Mil Falcon is mostly responsible for this). I don't have any combos that are set in stone though. One thing I've found is that I upgrade the Falcon to the gills it doesn't leave a lot of points for other ships.

While we are still having fun with the game, we are beginning to get a little tired of the 'undefeatable' TIE swarm. Having 7-8 attacks per turn is brutal

While we are still having fun with the game, we are beginning to get a little tired of the 'undefeatable' TIE swarm. Having 7-8 attacks per turn is brutal

Do you have any Assault Missiles? A few of those will make short work of a swarm. 4x A-Wings w/Deadeye and missiles goes a long way against TIEs. And the A-Wings agility helps to evade those incoming 2-die attacks.

Y-Wings (w/Ion Cannons) are good vs them too. Ionize one or two of the front TIEs and your opponent will either have to move everyone 1 Straight or else break formation. Ditto if you shoot somebody in the back, but shooting the front guy is always easier. Plus if they mess up their move you might get a pile-up.

Also, no matter which ships you're using, always make the swarm come to you, and make them change directions and have to go around asteroids. Don't fly straight at them, hang a hard right on your first turn and just fly towards one of you corners and then go up the side of the map. Every turn that they've got to move their ships is a chance that they mess something up and break up their formation. If one or two of them hit an asteroid, all the better. You main goal though is to make them spread out, even if its just a little bit, so that they can't all shoot at you during that first exchange.

And by all means - if Howlrunner is present, shoot her elf down first!

During our league's first season, the TIE fighter players ruled the league b/c everyone playing the Rebels just kept taking the same squadrons against them, to no prevail. Nowadays you rarely see swarms anymore though b/c everyone knows how to deal with them. They're still a pain and they can still win, but they're nowhere near an auto-win like the early days.