Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant_Crunch

More X-Wing Fun

Well we're down to the final 2 weeks of league night (if I'm counting correctly). I finally broke my losing streak last week, and since two of the guys right above me in the rankings didn't show, I jumped up to 4th place. (again, if I'm counting correctly.)

I've pretty much decided to just stick w/2 squadrons for the next 3 matches. Han w/2 Gold Y-Wings, and a pair of Fire Sprays for the other one. The guys in spots 1 and 2 are running a build w/2 Outer Rim Smugglers and 2 Y-Wings that is just brutal. Its 36 points of shields and hull that you have to chew thru. I don't think anyone has beat it yet. I had a shot last week w/my Fire Sprays but screwed up my movement - forgot which one moved first and ran Krassis right into the back of Kath, which left him in range of all 4 ships and w/no action. I ended up not destroying a single ship, but none of them had any shields left. It was the closest anyone's come I think.

So I've tweaked my Fire Sprays a bit to face those guys, but still hold up in general. We'll see.... I think Han might hold up against them too, simply b/c its kinda a mirror match. They've got more hit points due to the 2 ORS's, but Han has a lot more firepower.

Well as much as the idea of X-wing appealed to me I think after playing Star Trek attack wing at Gencon I'm going that route. I just found it more appealing. Maybe because it makes more sense to me with less units. At any rate, my two X-wing sets are probably off to ebay to fund more Star Trek purchases.

It may be silly, but the total disregard for scale that seems to be going on with the STAW minis is a deal breaker for me. It's as if they decided that all ships are the same size.

In-scale Corellian Corvette, and Rebel Transport incoming!

http://www.boardgamequest.com/x-wing-miniatures-large-ships-not-wave-4/

In the X-wing PC games, the imperials made use of Corvette's too, so I wonder if it will be dual-use?

Of course, this makes me want Carrack and Strike-class Cruisers too, they're about the same size.

Edited by Nanite

As cool as it would be, I'm not sure I like the idea. Either they're going to have to break scale or the models will be so large playing with them will require playing in the driveway or a gymnasium. I'd rather they explored the plethora of fighters from the various EU sources. They already used the moldy crow so why not explore the fighters from the X-Wing/TIE Fighter video games?

I'm thinking kitchen floor.

But, that article said these weren't wave 4, so we're getting another wave of more useful ships too!

From what I heard, the Transport is in scale but the corvette is not. Its slightly smaller. And no they're not Wave 4. I don't think they're even legal for regular play. FFG is releasing "epic tournament rules" and rules for "cinematic game play". These are for those.

2TJJf.jpg

BRzsf8gCIAAyg6b.jpg

BRz6W1WCIAAIJ1G.jpg

Edited by Chrome

It may be silly, but the total disregard for scale that seems to be going on with the STAW minis is a deal breaker for me. It's as if they decided that all ships are the same size.

I'm not sure how well they actually scale but the ships I've seen are considerably different sizes. I think the Enterprise D is about 4x the size of the original.

I have a hard time accepting the price on the smaller expansions, but I tell myself that it's the content, not the plastic that costs that much.

But $60 and $90??? Suddenly, Star Wars Pocketmodels are looking a whole lot better!

I'm not sure how well they actually scale but the ships I've seen are considerably different sizes. I think the Enterprise D is about 4x the size of the original.

It looks like they are the same sculpts as the clix game, and that is all over the chart for scale.

The HMS Bounty and the other Bird of Prey sculpts are bigger than most other ships in the game.