Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant_Crunch

More X-Wing Fun

Argh! Last night was one of those nights that I just wanted to sell all of my minis and quit!

I ran 4 B-Wings vs the Rebel Blockade (2 Outer Rim Smugglers and 2 Y's w/Ion Cannons). I knew it was gonna be a tough match-up b/c my B-Wing's mobility was useless against 4 ships w/turrets, so my only hope was to hit his Y-Wings hard and fast before he could start ionizing them and begin blocking me.

After a couple rounds of maneuvering I got him right where I wanted, but messed up one of my B's moves and planted him right on an asteroid. So instead of all 4 B's having a shot at one Y, only 3 of them did. Then I rolled a bunch of crap and only managed 1 hit. Next turn, each B-Wing rolls 3-4 attack dice and each one only gets 1 freaking hit - most of which are avoided by Evades or Focus tokens.

It continued that way the whole game. I threw 4 dice roughly 50% of the time and even with TL's and Focus tokens I only managed to get a 3 dmg shot one time. And never got a shot that did 4 pts. One time, I rolled 4 blanks against an ORS, spent a TL to re-roll, and rolled 3 eyeballs and a blank. That was the point where I wanted to flip the table over. :angry:

And even after that it was still a close game. He ended up winning w/1 ORS on the table.

BTW, there are 6 or 7 guys from my league going up to Minneapolis today for this weekend's World Championship tournament at FFG. A lot of them are running this Rebel Blockade squadron and I expect them all to do very well. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if 4+ of our guys make top 16 and one of them wins it all. For some reason the rest of the X-Wing community hasn't figured out how damn effective that squad is.

Yes, that helps a lot, but its mostly about Action/Movement denial. Basically, the ships work in 2 teams. The ORS runs head-on into a high priority target and then the Y-Wing ionizes it. The next turn the enemy ship has to move 1-Straight, so the ORS performs a 1 Turn. If you've done it right and the two ships are at angles, the ORS won't be able to perform its turn b/c it'll overlap the ship its touching. Then the ionized ship won't be able to complete its move b/c the ORS's base is so big, so both ships stay exactly where they are. The Y-Wing should be out of the target ship's LOS, so the enemy can't shoot at anything (can't shoot the ORS b/c they're in B2B) and can't perform any Actions to get a defensive bonus. The Y-Wing ionizes the sitting duck while the ORS uses it's turret to shoot some other nearby ship.

If it hadn't been for my horrible die rolls I should have soundly trounced this squad b/c the Advanced Sensors upgrades on my B-Wings allow them to perform their Action before they move. Since the ORS's both moved before my ships (they're PS 1, I was PS 2) I could Barrel Roll before moving to shift one way or the other and keep myself from running into his ships.

The trick to beating it is to ignore the ORS's and kill the Y's as quickly as possible. Its their Ion Cannons that make the whole thing work. B/c even if they can't do the trick I described above, they can do crap like Ionize you into an asteroid, which is how I lost one of my B's. :rolleyes:

PS- I made a post on FFG's web site bragging that I thought at least 3 of the guys from my group would make the top 16 cut @ Worlds this weekend. I honestly believe they can do it too. Plus I figured it should make for some fun on the forums while a lot of the players are gone to the tournament. LOL

Crud, the base touching+ion trick sounds more like an exploit than sound tactics. That's why I always get irritated playing competitively.

Edited by Nanite

Actually, I don't think any of them ended up running that squad. I was sick yesterday so I didn't go to league night and don't have all of the details, but I know that one guy ran a rebel swarm: 2x Rookie X-Wing, 2x Gold Y-Wing, 1x Blue B-Wing. He finished tops out of our group, making it to top 8.

You can see the top 8 squads here - http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/93329-worlds-placement-rankings/

Edit - nope, it sounds like Aaron ran that squadron. He finished 4-1 in the Swiss rounds, made top 16, but lost his first game. One other guy ran the same squad but he only went 3-2 and didn't make the cut to 16.

Edited by Chrome

Yes it would be.

Played Tuesday (we have a small group that has been able to meet on Tuesdays). Took rookie X-wing, B-wing, an A-wing, and Wedge. Crushed the Empire. Kind of fun - not a single die roll went bad for me. 4 dice = 4 hits, almost every shot.

He was running 2 TIE bombers with missile, 2 TIE fighters, and the TIE bomber character that lets you re-roll dice on the secondary wepaons of friends. First shot of the game was fired by Wedge, hit him, and the crit he drew was ignore pilot ability. He was very upset. Game went down hill from there for him.

• Like 1