Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant_Crunch

More X-Wing Fun

I had a very good night last night! :-D I won both of my matches 100-0 in league. I ran 3 B-Wings: Dagger w/Adv Sensors, Ibtisam w/Adv Sensors and PtL, and Ten Numb w/Adv Sensors and Auto Blaster.

The first win was especially satisfying b/c I'd never beaten this guy before. To totally blank him was sweet. ::): He ran 2 Gold Y-Wings w/Ion Cannons and 2 Dagger B-Wings w/Ion Cannons. He had to set up first, so he spread his units evenly across the map, so I put all 3 of my guys along my right edge and rushed the Y-wing on that side. By the end of the 2nd round of shooting I'd destroyed the Y and put a few hits on one of his B's before he could managed to get his Y from the other map edge into range. That saved me b/c if he'd been able to ionize all 3 of my ships I would have been up the creek. As it was, he had 2 of them ionized in opposite directions, trying to run them off of the map. I got Ten Numb turned around though and smoked one of the B's before the Y could get into range. Then he missed an ion shot on Ibtisam and it was all over from there.

My second game I faced one of our newer players who was running Vader, Soontir Fel, and Turr Phennir (the last two are TIE-Adv). All of them souped up w/upgrades. Luckily for me he ran them in bunch formation and went straight after Ten Numb, planning to take him out fast. I guessed his movement correctly though and ended up with my guys in perfect position for the opening salvos. Ten was less than an inch in front of Turr, outside of Soontir's firing arc, and in range 1 of Vader, so Vader couldn't hit him w/his Cluster Missiles. I rolled the 3 dice for Ten's Auto Blaster and got 3 hits. Turr went boom before he even got to shoot. Meanwhile my Dagger and Ib had both target locked Vader. Ib scored 2 hits and then my Dagger scored 3 to finish off Vader. 1 round of shooting and he'd lost 2/3 of his squad!

Freaking Fel turned out to be a PITA to chase down though. He had PtL on him, so he'd do a green move, then boost, then PtL for a Focus and get another Focus token from his ability. And he had a Stealth Generator on him. It took me 3 turns to get a single shot lined up on him, and that one was at range 3, thru an asteroid, so he rolled 6 freaking defense dice! He'd zip away from me, then turn around and race back in at one of my B's backs and snap off a range 2-3 shot before running away again. He did that twice I think, each time scoring hits against my Dagger. It was really beautiful flying to watch, even if it was annoying the hell out of me. He had all the shields off of my Dagger and I was worried that I might lose it, when I decided that instead of trying to point all 3 B's where I guessed he was gonna turn (and thus facing the wrong way), I was just gonna be stupid and turn everyone in random directions. Worked like a charm! :rolleyes: He ran into Ten Numb's firing arc and I manged to roll a Crit against him at range 3. Ten's ability is that you can't block 1 of his Crits, so there was nothing he could do to stop it. That took out his Stealth Generator and then 2 turns of random turning later, Ib got 2 hits on him to kill him.

While not X-wing, had 2 good games of Attack Wing myself. One of the things that the Trek one is good at is scenarios.

In the one we played, the Klingon player gets exactly 3 ships, and the Pilot is hidden (all Klingon ships run at Pilot Skill 3 until revealed). Goal is to get across the map (depoy North, head South), drop shields, and beam Gorkon down to the planet. Other crew starts on the East and West sides, so real close shooting on turn 1. First game, I was able to blast the Federation with my battlecruisers and managed to get Gorkon to the planet. Second game, we just switched sides and both used the fleets the other guy used. I defly manuvered my Federation ships, and was able to crush the ship holding Gorkon on the turn he beamed down. The way the scenario is set up, it is a 3 or 4 turns game, at most.

I really like the scenarios in Atatck Wing, and it is emerging as my favorite of the 2 games. Plus, who doesn't like to put Kahn on a Reliant?

Edited by sethohman

Okay, finally got this. Have two starter boxes, the TIE fighter and XWing expansion packs. What should I look at adding next?

I'll be playing mostly with my 7 year old so I don't need killer lists.

I'd get the Falcon for you kid. It'll stay on the map longer than normal fighters, and the 360 degree firing arc means he/she won't have to worry about lining up shots.

I may have to fight with her over playing the Empire. :devil:

Any other of the smaller craft? We'll likely expand once she gets the hang of it.

For Empire, slave 1 is almost as good as the Falcon. Rear shooting arc, anyways.

TIE Interceptors are fairly straight-forward to run. A-wings are too (but they really suck) - except Arvel - he can shoot at something he is touching. New TIE interceptor pack is due out shortly, with some nice re-paints and nifty new pilots. TIE advanced are also good - they come wuth a shield, and who doesnt want to be Darth Vader? Y-wings are not bad - they can take a beating, and can take a turret. Not overly strong, but a great support model, IMO.

For that age, I would stay away from the B-Wings and TIE bombers - both require multiple upgrades in order to be effective. Same with the HWK and Imperial Shuttle.

How many do you need for play of the other ships? Is it usually just one or two, with TIE Fighters and XWing filling it out, or do you want a bunch of the other craft?

Right now I have 3x TIE Fighters and 2x X-Wings and am finding that I want one more of each, even with the other ships I have (one each Y-Wing, A-Wing, Mil. Falcon, TIE Adv, TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber, and Imp Shuttle).

How many do you need for play of the other ships? Is it usually just one or two, with TIE Fighters and XWing filling it out, or do you want a bunch of the other craft?

Depends on how big you want your games.

Standard format is 100 points, which averages out to around 4 ships for the Rebels and 4-8 for the Imps. (Imps all depend on how many TIE Academy Pilots you take.) If you're using the Falcon, you'll only need 2 other Rebel ships.

Thanks for all the input guys. Had a chance to read the rules through yesterday at work. Looks pretty simple and fun. Doesn't seem like there are any force composition rules outside of, no duplicating unique pilots. Should be really easy for the kids to get the hang of the rules.

I've learned to stop trying to combine cards with special rules for my one son. His technique is "charge forward and turn after running into something."

Doesn't seem like there are any force composition rules outside of, no duplicating unique pilots.

Make sure you don't mix Rebel and Imperial ships. :poke:

I don't see why you couldn't really. A mercenary troop that's cobbled together some broken down and damaged fighters out of wreckage.

I just watched the Table Top episode on this and am honestly not really sure what to think. It didn't strike me as the most entertaining game ever, but that could be specific to any number of things unrelated to how the game actually plays out at the table.

Two questions for you guys:

1. What is roughly the minimum suggested age?

2. How long is a typical game with the base game?