So I took a chance and made a custom matt online @ bannersonthecheap.com I used two square images side by side on a 4x8 vinyl sign
the space picture was pretty low res only about 1250x1250 but the spacestation pic was close to 3800x3800. using their built in online editor I added both pictures to the sign and scaled so they both covered half as well as I could tell.

Now that I've done one it would have been better to combine the pictures into a single file that was the correct aspect ratio(2:1) and simply scaled the single image on the website.

The banner came rolled up in a long box..but UPS squished the one end of the box and the whole sign has a crease in it along the one side every 4 inches or so..I'm hoping I can use some sheets over the vinyl and iron it out.

looking at it the space scene at 4x4 is abit blury but thats mostly due to the low res picture I used ..the spacestation is much better.
I'm gonna just cut it down the middle and have two mats.
all together including shipping it cost 47dollars...so less then 24 dollars each..simply the best price I could find and I'm really happy wiht how it looks.

I'm gonna look for some stock WW1 ariel photos from over europe and will probably get another sign or two made for wings of Glory as well.

x-wing+mat.jpg

x-wing+mat+1.jpg

x-wing+mat+2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend it for anyone..its a a very easy miniatures game that you can play with anyone..its a bit more complex then wings of glory but only due to more cards with abilities and pilots.

Only thing I want is more scenerios..tho boardgamegeek fan made ones will easily keep that going.

Perfect beer and pretzels game

oops double post

Edited by Qwyksilver

I'm not picky and my kids are happy to play anything Star Wars. I've thrown a few scenario conditions at them that I've made up on the fly and we have fun. Most scenarios for wargames really boil down to just a small set of mission types.

How do you guys think the replayability factor will be? It looks cool but I'm just afraid I'd get to a point and say "meh, it's the same old same old".

It's not bad for replay, all you would need to do is have a nice variety of models where you can switch out different characters. Using different combos might help it last longer for your group of players. I have been trying to play this game as much as I can since it came out last year, and with the second wave it's making it easy to have a variety of models. I also seem to remember hearing that they are already working on the next wave of models.

Yes, the next wave will be announced this coming weekend at FFG's big event in Minneapolis.

I think X-Wing is about as replayable as most any other miniatures game. It all boils down to your opponents. If you've got a decent number of people to play against, who like to mix things up from time to time, it'll be enjoyable. If you only play against one or two guys who always use the exact same fleet and tactics, it'll get boring.

• Like 1

How do you guys think the replayability factor will be? It looks cool but I'm just afraid I'd get to a point and say "meh, it's the same old same old".

Here's a perfect example - all league long I've used a Chewie Tank squadron. Its only 2 ships: Chewie in the Falcon (with a bunch of upgrades) and Biggs in his X-Wing. They form a mean synergy tho. Biggs' card ability is that so long as Biggs and the Falcon are w/in Range 1 of each other, my opponent *must* target Biggs if he can. So they have to shoot at Biggs instead of the Falcon. Chewie has an upgrade that allows him to move Critical Hits from nearby squadmates to himself, and then I use Chewie's card ability to turn the Crit into a normal hit. Both ships have Shield Upgrades, so as long as I keep them close together (which is harder than it sounds) my opponent has to chew through them 1 point at a time. 6 hits on Biggs first, then 14 hits on Chewie. Oh, and Biggs has R2-F2 (I think that's the one) which gives him +1 Evade so he's harder to hit. It's done well every game until the last one where my dice totally failed me.

But tonight at league night I've got a rematch w/a player I beat 3 weeks ago. We're both in the top 6 of 15 players, so by no means do I expect an easy game or for him to even use the same fleet, so I'm changing things up too. I'm still gonna use the Falcon, but this time I'm going to use Han and a variant on a build named Han Shoots First:

Han Solo - YT-1300 (54 pts)

+ Marksmanship pilot upgrade

+ Gunner crewman upgrade

A-Wing: Green (23 pts)

+ Shield Upgrade

A-Wing: Green (23 pts)

+ Shield Upgrade

This totally changes my tactics from defense to offense. Has as a pilot skill of 9, so he shoots before anyone else but Vader or Wedge, and then it comes down to who has Init. When he attacks, Han lets me re-roll my dice if I choose. Then Marksmanship allows me to change specific results into hits (plus 1 crit). If my opponent manages to dodge all of that, the Gunner lets me make another attack, which Han can still re-roll and Marksmanship can still adjust. It can be viscous.

The A-Wings are mainly there to jam up enemy ships and keep them off of the Falcon for as long as possible, or mop up any damaged ships so the Falcon can go after a new target.

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 1