If anything I'd just get the Falcon, just to have a mini Falcon :lol:

Need to see a demo thou, as my son is a big SW fan (one of my better proddings I must say...)

RM

• Like 1
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for spelling that out Chrome. i played a demo at Gencon and liked it but based on my exposure to Wings of War I didn't know how much variety there might be. Sounds like quite a bit.

Every ship has at least 4 cards (like our data cards) that represent the ship being piloted by different people. For the most part, each ship as 2 low level generic versions that represent rookie and veteran pilots, with pilot skill ratings ranging from 1-3, maybe 4. None of them have any special pilot abilities. Then there's 2 cards that represent named pilots from the SW movies, books, or video games. Their ships have the same stats, but they have even higher pilot skill ratings and a special ability that only that pilot can perform.

X-Wings and TIE Fighters are the exception to the # of data cards. They're available in both the Starter Box and individually, and each package has different cards. FREX: the only way to get Luke is in the Starter. The only way to get Wedge (the best X-Wing pilot) is in the individual blister.

The Falcon is the only ship that has different stats from one card to another. The card isn't really the Falcon, its a standard YT-1300 freighter, and the rookie card represents your average smuggler. The other 3 cards represent a YT piloted by Chewie, Lando, or Han and have slightly higher stats. But to truly be the Falcon, you have to use the Millennium Falcon upgrade card. :;):

2012-11-10_20-11-25_250.jpglandohan.jpgmillennium-falcon-title.png

This page really gives a pretty good look at how flexible X-Wing is when it comes to choosing you ships. It specifically covers the Falcon. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3844

I've got one each of the X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, Advanced TIE, and Millenium Falcon. The X-Wing and TIE give you a couple more scrub pilots and one or two unique pilots that aren't in the starter. Since the other fighters aren't in the starter you'll get more cards that you don't already have. The second X-Wing and third TIE Fighter are almost mandatory though since just the starter gets stale after a few games. For myself, I see the other fighters and ships as window dressing for the main X-Wing vs TIE Fighter conflict.

I ended up getting two starters sets to start and one of each of the ships(minus the awing and tie advanced since I can't find them in stock)

I think 2 core sets are really good for both dice and the templates. We like to play in 2vs2 team games and each team really does need its own movement templates,dice and tokens.

Those + the single x-wing and Tie-fighter for all the options and pilot cards are a great place to start.

Edited by bloodydrake

I had two starters and got a third for my birthday. I had wanted to play an eight Tie Fighter squadron, so I picked up a couple more in blisters and had to keep the X-Wing ratio the same. I have picked up a couple of each of the ships released since. I am fortunate that there are several players in each of two FLGS, so the game has always been different. (It helps that I make myself play a different squadron each time.). My favorite squad is Hans Solo in a YT-1300 and a Outer Rim Smuggler in the Millennium Falcon.

The next wave offers some support ships so the meta will change. I am not sure how I am going carry the new ships when they arrive...

I hate you all, just so you know. I've seen the game, and wondered about it, but I've been able to resist it, because I've been trying to stay ignorant. And now you have to go and talk all about it.

• Like 4

Which expansion packs have the most variety of pilot cards? and are the A-wings any good? I've always had a soft spot for those.

I haven't been able to use my two new A-Wings yet, but I plan to tomorrow so I'll report back. I do know that they play a lot differently than the X- and Y-Wings though, b/c of the way they're built. Fast and fragile, kinda like TIEs. And Tycho Celcu's pilot ability is awesome!

pics of the next additions

SWX_ShipsHeader.png

look like we get two support ships and two bombers... I was really surprised to see Karl Katarn's ship from the Video Game Dark Forces as one of the support ships but I guess they have to use expanded universe stuff if they want to stay in the timeline of StarWars IV to VI

• Like 1

OK. Picked up two core sets today. I got them at Target and they were willing to match Amazon's price so it was $29.65 a piece. You've all sucked me in. Time to put more stuff on ebay.

Edited by papabees