Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant_Crunch

More X-Wing Fun

If there are reprints coming in the next several months, I can wait a bit. Plus I just realized I don't have the original trilogy on DVD, so I need to indoctrinate the children before we start playing.

• Like 3

Make sure you get the good DVD's (if they even exist anymore).

I'm glad to hear reprints are coming. I cannot find much in the stores. I feel like I'm too late to the party.

Last night our league's TO sent out an email about our league's final game. A huge free-for-all with everyone having to field a Falcon or Firespray! Woot! Should be a blast, especially considering the tight confines it sounds like we'll be using. 12-15 models on a 3x3 map. LOL!!!

Now to decide if I want to use Chewie, or take a Firespray to make use of those mines.

Fist off, I know this question might get better visibility on boardgamegeek, but I can't get there while at work.

Yesterday I started making some asteroids for the X Wing game. My plan is to make them the approximate shape/size of the cut outs, then put them on stands that use the actual cut out for a base. That way it should still be easy enough to use the cut outs as the rules were designed, but still have something 'floating' in space to look nice on the table. So far they are looking great, and I'll try to post a pic or two tonight.

However, this got my creative juices flowing... luckily they are some of my most harmless juices. With the upcoming addition of B Wings and TIE Bombers, I'd really like to have something to torpedo/bomb the crap out of. I'm thinking of using the same technique I'm using for the small asteroids and building a bigger one. An asteroid big enough to build some sort of outpost/listening station/fuel depot on. Something that would require torps/bombs to really take out. So, on to my questions;

1) How big is too big? I don't want it to take up the whole table, but I do want it to be large enough to look like an installation of some sort. Is 9x4" too big? Too small?

2) My thought is the "base" would be built into one side, so bombing runs would have to come from a specific direction... or should it just be on top and attackable from any direction? Maybe only from the broadsides?

3) Defense turrets? I'll have to homebrew some rules for shields/armor, but should I mount some little laser turrets on it for defense? I guess I could put a couple on and just call them decoration if I decide not to use them.

4) I'm pretty sure there was a four, but I'm drawing a blank now.

I do not think you can get too big, but at some point you have replaced the table.

It would be cool if you could rotate it so you can change how it plays.

I used stationary ties as turrets. Points are the same, but they get two shields.

I do not think you can get too big, but at some point you have replaced the table.

It would be cool if you could rotate it so you can change how it plays.

I used stationary ties as turrets. Points are the same, but they get two shields.

I definitely don't want to replace the table. I'm just aiming for a 'terrain' piece that has to be attacked from certain angles. That way it offers some tactical requirement other than 'fly towards it and fire'.

I've toyed with the idea of making a rebel themed base on one side and when you flip it over, an Empire themed base. I'm just not sure how it would look to have the unused 'base' hanging off the bottom of the asteroid. Maybe one base that sticks out the top and bottom and you can flip it over to control which base (rules/objectives) are in play. If it works out I don't mind making a couple of them. I got a 2x2' sheet of dense foam at Home Depot for $5. I know the big sheets would be cheaper for the amount you get, but I don't need a 4x8' sheet at this time. Plus this one fit in my car trunk.

I like the idea of using points values associated with game pieces as the turrets. And, I think the two shields would make up for the stationary status very nicely. Ideally, I could make a printout similar to what goes on fighter bases to show fire arc etc and attach that to the bases base.

maybe instead of a base it could be a transmission relay station. Mount a little satellite dish looking thing on the side of an asteroid.

For mission and scenerios I really do prefer a 4x4 table to the defacto 3x3 which I think is to small for anything more then 1 on 2 dogfights.

I really like the idea of the base of the asteroids being the shape of the cardboard cutouts..that way you can see when you lay your movement templet down if you clip it or not..

I'd just make the top asteroid part removable for when ships are really close to it..that way the asteroids can be abit bigger on the table without affecting the rules

Yesterday I started making some asteroids for the X Wing game. My plan is to make them the approximate shape/size of the cut outs, then put them on stands that use the actual cut out for a base. That way it should still be easy enough to use the cut outs as the rules were designed, but still have something 'floating' in space to look nice on the table. So far they are looking great, and I'll try to post a pic or two tonight.

I'm sure they'll look awesome, but I think you'll find that they'll be a pain in the butt during game play. More often that you'll want to, you'll have to lay a movement template or a ship itself across an asteroid, so what will you do when the "stand" gets in the way? There could also be times when the stand gets in the way when determining LOS. You can't just move the asteroid around - that's not fair (or legal). The hight/size of your asteroids could be an issue too, b/c several of the ships are larger than their base. So you could end up with a situation where the ship's base isn't on the asteroid template, but the ship is knocking your asteroid over. And while you could prevent that by making the asteroids stick up a few inches higher than ships on their normal stands, that creates a new problem: are they so high that they prevent you from easily reaching across the table to measure and move? Again if you're knocking them over all of the time, that's creating an unfair situation b/c you won't ever put them back in the exact same position.

Man, that really sounded negative.... don't get me wrong, I love the idea. Just want you to consider all of the issues you'll have to deal with. If you figure it out, let us know b/c I'd like to try it.

I immediately thought about using 2 sets of asteroids. The first set would be just the normal templates, which the players would place on the table as normal when the game starts. Then the 2nd set would have the foam asteroids mounted on them and you'd just place each one on top of its matching template. Then when you need to move one out of the way you just pick it up and the 2D template is still there on the map. I think you'd still have a problem w/knocking them around though... as in when you accidentally tip over the 3D version, it's template would nudge the bottom template just a bit. If your opponent is OK with that tho, go for it!

We just use a hex base for the asteroid and put them on top of the tokens. Even that gets in the way more than the aesthetics are worth. But, they may just be me.

pic1617883_lg.jpg

seems like these would work..if ones in the way you simply lift it off the cardboard token..then put it back on top when its in the clear

Chrome and Niranth make some good points. I think the aesthetics will be worth it for me, and using the method Niranth and Bloodydrake mentioned would probably be a good compromise. The large 'base' asteroid would be a terrain piece that could be bumped but not moved through so I'm not worried there.

Here is the current state of the asteroids I'm working on right now.

2013-05-16211626.jpg

And a family shot...

2013-05-16211715.jpg

Sadly, my phone seems to take better picture than my camera.

• Like 1