Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant_Crunch

More X-Wing Fun

Buy lava rocks from grill aisle. Mount on bases. Asteroid field finished.

What??? Too easy! I need to make this as difficult as possible. ^_^

Lookin good Geek!!!

Thanks, Chrome. It's a fun side project regardless of how much use they get. I'll likely display my ships on a shelf somewhere when not packed to take and play, so it will add to the display as well!

On another x-wing note has anyone seen a guide to replicating the paint scheme on these miniatures? I ask because I really want to get a second YT1300 and convert it to a YT1300c where the cockpit is in the center. This will involve some cutting and some modding which will require either touch up, or complete repaint. I'll probably do a custom paint job on the top to further differentiate it from the Milleneum Falcon. I was thinking of a weathered red ring, but now that I type it out I'm afraid it would look like a bulls eye... bad omen.

I'm not sure if this is worthy of it's on WIP thread, or if I should just leave it here for the x-wing fans. For now I'll leave it here.

Some work on the base has been done. This is turning in to a bit of a time sink, but a healthy dose of tin-cup keeps me from giving up.

20130518_174940.jpg

I put a coating of glue down to protect the area that has been excavated for the base building the added a little paint to get some extra texture from slightly melting the foam...

20130519_105308.jpg

Then I've been chopping bits from the spares bin and putting them down.

20130519_162545.jpg

and

20130519_162622.jpg

I may try to cut out a round piece of plastic and make a landing pad on the flat space. Ideally it would have a thin circle around it to hold it in place and a rebel symbol on one side and an imperial symbol on the other so it can be reversed dependent on which force is attacking/defending.

There are no blasters... yet. But there are a couple of tubes full of proton torpedoes!

• Like 2

So I took a chance and made a custom matt online @ bannersonthecheap.com I used two square images side by side on a 4x8 vinyl sign

the space picture was pretty low res only about 1250x1250 but the spacestation pic was close to 3800x3800. using their built in online editor I added both pictures to the sign and scaled so they both covered half as well as I could tell.

Now that I've done one it would have been better to combine the pictures into a single file that was the correct aspect ratio(2:1) and simply scaled the single image on the website.

The banner came rolled up in a long box..but UPS squished the one end of the box and the whole sign has a crease in it along the one side every 4 inches or so..I'm hoping I can use some sheets over the vinyl and iron it out.

looking at it the space scene at 4x4 is abit blury but thats mostly due to the low res picture I used ..the spacestation is much better.

I'm gonna just cut it down the middle and have two mats.

all together including shipping it cost 47dollars...so less then 24 dollars each..simply the best price I could find and I'm really happy wiht how it looks.

I'm gonna look for some stock WW1 ariel photos from over europe and will probably get another sign or two made for wings of Glory as well.

x-wing+mat.jpg

x-wing+mat+1.jpg

x-wing+mat+2.jpg

Where did you get the high res space station picture?

"This item is OUT OF STOCK" is showing up an awful lot. :)

Saturday I did find a FLGS that had everything except the X-Wing expansion. Sat down and played my first few games with some friends and it was a blast. I have a habit of flying off the board though...

On another x-wing note has anyone seen a guide to replicating the paint scheme on these miniatures? I ask because I really want to get a second YT1300 and convert it to a YT1300c where the cockpit is in the center. This will involve some cutting and some modding which will require either touch up, or complete repaint. I'll probably do a custom paint job on the top to further differentiate it from the Milleneum Falcon. I was thinking of a weathered red ring, but now that I type it out I'm afraid it would look like a bulls eye... bad omen.

There's a guy who's done this already. I know he posted images on the FFG forums, but I'd try searching BoardGameGeek.com first. FFG's forums are just horrible.

I have a habit of flying off the board though...

That'll improve with experience. You've got to learn to plan your moves 2, sometimes 3 turns in advance, based on the static parts of the map. Whenever I'm moving towards an asteroid or the edge of the map, the first thing I consider is if I've left myself enough room to maneuver on the next turn.

Edited by Chrome

Board game night at the FLGS last night was X-Wing night! Had a lot of fun and met some people local to me so I may get to play this game once in a while. The game was a large battle... because you should always make things as complicated as possible for a bunch of guys who all have only a game or two at most under their belts. It was fun though. It just goes to show that it's hard to take the fun out of the X-Wing game!

• Like 1

We had a four player tourny at the shop on Tuesday, 50 point builds. Good times! I managed to squeak out three wins using four unmodified Ties. All of the games were really close.

Yeah, I was just looking at those last night. That's awesome about the Star Wars font tho. If I get some, I'm gonna put the Rebel logo on them!

I'd have to get a third X-Wing to try this one, but the idea is that Biggs tanks for Wedge who plays the knife fighter. Wedge uses the Squad Leader to keep Biggs nearby. Luke hangs out until he can get a good shot off with the torpedo then picks off what Wedge doesn't kill outright. It sounds good on paper but have no idea how it would work in practice. (the points listed by the pilot name are inclusive of the upgrades)

X-Wing (100pts)
  • X-W •Biggs Darklighter (33pts)

Shield Upgrade (4pts), •R2-D2 (4pts)

• X-W •Luke Skywalker (34pts)

Determination (1pts), Proton Torpedoes (4pts), R5 Astromech (1pts)

• X-W •Wedge Antillies (33pts)

Swarm Tactics (2pts), •R5-K6 (2pts)