Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant_Crunch

More X-Wing Fun

I like that build better with Luke b/c he has more longevity. Plus whenever Wedge is on the table he has a huge bullseye on his back. Players seem to ignore Luke more often and focus on Han instead, which is fine b/c he can soak up a good amount of damage. Especially with Chewie on board.

I'd suggest putting Marksmanship on Han, and switching Nein Nub for Gunner if you can afford it. And the Falcon Upgrade card too. Use the Evade token from Falcon every turn, so you're sure to negate at least 1 hit. Then Marksmanship, along w/Han's re-roll ability is pretty tough, but if you still end up missing, Gunner lets you attack again for free (and both Marksmanship and Han's ability roll-over to your second attack).

Yeah I realized that after the fact. Han, Chewie, Luke Falcon and Biggs R2 X-Wing. My build was certainly not optimum but it was hysterical showing up buying the piece I wanted and taking third.

My build was certainly not optimum but it was hysterical showing up buying the piece I wanted and taking third.

One of the things that I really like about this game is that its really a lot about skill. Being able to plan your moves correctly, and remembering how and when to use your abilities. Really, really bad die rolls can still kill your game, but its more often making a mistake like parking a ship on an asteroid at a critical moment that changes the game.

Case in point - I played two games at league this week. I liked my matchups in both games, using Han and 2 Rookie X-Wings. The first game was fairly even until my opponent pushed his luck and stuck Soontir Fel on an asteroid. Fel (TIE Interceptor) is a PS9, and he had initiative, so he was shooting first each turn, but you don't get to shoot when you're stuck on an asteroid, so he lost out on a point blank shot that would have most likely destroyed one of my Rookies. That same rookie ended up destroying Fel the next turn, b/c Fel took 2 dmg from hitting the asteroid (one when he landed on it, and again the next turn when he moved off of it).

In the second game, I made a mistake on the 2nd turn and didn't get one of my X-Wings into a position where he could shoot anything. I was facing a TIE swarm, so that one early round of not shooting w/that ship hurt me. Then the next turn I decided to change my movement dials after I placed them, forgot what I'd changed one to, and an the Falcon into a Rookie. Then I topped it off w/the worst/funniest die rolling of all night. Rolling 4 attack dice w/Han vs a basic TIE I didn't get any hits. I use his ability and re-roll: 1 hit. My opponent is rolling 3 def dice so I figure he'll easily dodge that and I'll get to use Gunner to attack again, but no, he rolls 0 avoids and takes the 1 dmg instead of allowing me to get a second chance. That luck continued over the next 2 rounds and it took me 3 freaking turns for Han and an X-Wing to shoot down a single Academy TIE. By that time, my opponent finished off both of my Rookies and had eaten thru Han's shields w/the rest of his ships. Game over.

Edited by Chrome

Our league started it's 3rd "season" last week, and this time we decided to be a little more relaxed in our games since its summer time and people will be gone more often. So we're doing our normal, two 100-pt matches on odd weeks, and on even weeks we're playing one off-beat game and then leaving the rest of the time for free gaming, make-up matches, etc. The off-beat game doesn't have any strange rules, its just not going to be a standard 100 pt match. Last night we used 125 pts for our match, and I decided to fly Imperials b/c I wanted to use both of my Fireflies. I took Vader in his TIE Advanced, Howlrunner (TIE Fighter) and two Bounty Hunters. Both Vader and Howlrunner had Swarm Tactics (which let Vader, Howl, and one BH shoot first every round) and Stealth Device to make them harder to hit. It worked pretty well and my opponent conceded the game after turn 5 or 6. At that point I'd only lost Howl, while he'd lost 3 Academy TIEs, his own Howl, and his Vader was down to 2 HP.

That was despite me forgetting to use Howl's ability for the first two rounds of shooting, and failing to roll any hits off of about a dozen Target Lock rolls. :blink:

I'm really looking forward to our next "fun" match. We're doing 100 pts, but your squad can have ships from any faction in it! I'm thinking about 3 X-Wings w/Howlrunner to let them re-roll attack dice.

So, while waiting for the Bonesavalanche to arrive, I picked up Star Wars... Well, I should say I emptied my wallet... Two starter sets, two Advanced Ties, two A-wings, two extra X-wings, 4 Y-wings, on Slave and one Millenium Falcon. Basically what the store had on the shelf, I bought. Got the two boys downstairs for the unboxing... didn't realize they both had friends over.... a quick read of the "basic" rules and the five of us chose ships... The kitchen table was the play area (about 4'x6') with salt shakers, napkin rack, etc as "asteroids" and blocking terrain (hey, it was our first time!) an hour later, myself and one of my boys and one friend were cheering on the lonely X-wing with one HP being chased by three Ties around the table... One Tie downed to a right turn needing to be a left turn upside down on the table... Second Tie down due to running into a Salt Shaker... er, I mean Asteroid. and then the X-wing failed five shots in a row and the Tie got in behind him for the kill shot. I have never seen someone attack 5 times and get all blanks. Up until that point, I don't think any of us had rolled all blanks during the game... Fun game and can't wait to make some scenarios to go along with it...

Finally got around to playing another game with the kids (no pics, sorry) and used the Falcon for the first time. Wow, when it is kitted out it is a force to be reckoned with. I found Han's ability quite useful.

I had a close game last night! Fleets were something like:

Me (99 pts)

Krassis Trellix (Firespray) w/Heavy Laser Cannon, Gunner, and Proximity Mine

Bounty Hunter (Firespray) w/the exact same build

Opponent (99 pts)

Chewie (Falcon) w/Gunner

Wedge X-Wing w/Swarm Tactics

Rookie X-Wing

I started out strong and took Wedge out on turn 3 before he had a chance to inflict a lot of damage, got a couple of hits in on Chewie, and then finished off his rookie before Chewie finally destroyed Krassis. IIRC that left my Bounty Hunter w/ 1 shield and Chewie w/6 hull. Normally I'd take those odds, but Chewie was behind me and my BH was still stressed from an earlier Koiogran turn that he hadn't recovered from yet, and I was heading into a corner of the map. We maneuvered and traded shots for the next two turns, during which I got lucky and managed to drop my mine right in front of him. He only took 1 hit from it tho. ::(: Finally I got myself turned around; I was in the corner facing the middle of the map while he was just to the side of me facing towards the corner. I performed another Koio and it put me right in my sweet spot at range 3 and turned around facing him. He took his shot and rolled 3 blanks, so he used his Gunner to attack again and got 3 hits after using his Focus. I got to roll 3 def dice b/c of the range, and didn't get a single evade. That left me down at my last hull point. He had 2 hull left but I could finally use my Heavy Cannon again and rolled 3 hits. Chewie's only got Agility 1, so he couldn't stop me from killing him.

If the game had gone one more turn, or if I hadn't been able to get out of close range from him (where he'd been able to roll an extra attack die) I probably would have lost.

We were chatting after the game and realized that I never once got to use either of my Gunners. Plus Krassis, who's whole ability centers around his Heavy Cannon, only got to use it once. After that I never had an enemy in front of me until after he took a crit that disabled the cannon. And his mine never got triggered. That's 20 points that I barely got any use out of! :lol:

• Like 1

I still don't get to play this as much as I'd like, but I did get a couple games in last week. I took my stuff to my friend Pat's house (the Bombshell Babes Patrick). Unfortunately he had a couple of rum and cokes before the battle and his piloting was a little off. That plus it was his first game. Three TIE and a TIE Adv vs Two X-Wings and a Y-Wing and I crushed the rebel scum with 0 losses. Not so much so with his missus, Vicky. With the same ships she took out two TIE's in the first salvo. I did manage to make a glorious comeback for the Empire, but it was a hard-won game. As long as I keep providing people their first games I think I'll keep my wining streak. Baby seal, meet club. j/k

• Like 1

Took the plunge and bought the starter. I haven't played yet but I am already thinking about getting that second starter...

Took the plunge and bought the starter. I haven't played yet but I am already thinking about getting that second starter...

I'm saving my pennies for ships instead.

Well, I wanted more X-wings and TIEs and since a starter costs less than a X-wing booster and two TIE boosters, I just got the starter. I Guess it still makes sense to buy one of each booster still, to get the unique pilots in those sets.

I find myself wanting more TIEs so a new starter purchase is probably in the future for me. That and the extra dice would be helpful. Even better is that there isn't any guilt associated with adding to the lead pile as they are prepainted.

• Like 1

The instant usability and non-guilt of prepainted minis is a major factor for me.

• Like 2

So the first game was played in my house this evening. Both of my daughters were really excited about it so they got to play and I refereed. I was a bit worried due to the 14+ age recommendation on the box and the fact that my daughters are 6 and 9 (and English only being their third language), but it worked out wonderfully. The eldest wanted to be Darth Vader and got the TIE Advanced while the youngest wanted to be Luke and got an X-Wing. They played just with the quick play rules, so no actions and no stress (I guess de facto making it not matter if you pick Vader and Luke or generic pilots).

They both loved it and want to go again. If the next game goes equally well I will introduce actions in the third game. Stress will be introduced if I spot them making an inordinate amount of "red" maneuvers. I'm leaving the named pilots in the box for their games.

Now to find a victim volunteer to play the grown up version of the game with me.

• Like 1

I've been playing the full version with my 9 and 13 year old sons. Sometimes they miss on the combinations of effects, but overall they get the hang of it.