Ok, there are a lot of people out there with some interesting handles on this forum, so I was wondering about the origins of some of the names.

In my case, Argentee was part of my name in SCA1 in college. I grew up in Louisiana, so knew more about french medieval history than the rest of Europe, so that decided my nationality. Argentee was a medieval french surname meaning Silver. And well, I started going grey at age 11! After 15 I no longer got carded... :devil: My dad's stepfather was a jeweler, and I had studied jewelry making with an emphasis on silversmithing, because I couldn't afford to work in gold. So Argentee it was.

How about some of the rest of you?

1 Society for Creative Anachronism. A Medieval re-creation and recreation group. Also sometimes referred to as the Society for Creative Alcoholism.

• Like 8
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Society, I am Lord John-Carlos Lobo do Mar, seneschal of the shire of Tri-o's.

As for my handle here, I simply thought that if I was translated into a D&D/pathfinder character that I'd be a dwarven ranger wandering the Silver Marches and Savage North of Faerun with my faithful animal companion Shadow. In real life my outlook is that it's nice to be in the company of others occasionally (which is why I'm not a druid), but generally I like to be out in the wilds (swamps, forests, beaches around here) by myself or with my lady and of course with my dog Shadow.

Also in real life, I'm short, stout and hairy. Kind of grumpy and not trusting of others. But if you earn my loyalty you have a friend for life. Sounds like a dwarf to me ^_^

• Like 2

as a fan of LOTR/Hobbit I wanted a forum name/avatar based on it. I wanted to go with Boromir & Sean Bean but in the end Boromir just didn't roll off the tongue like I wanted. Some reason I went with Haldir & of course Craig Parker. The avatar is in it's 2nd phase as I had a different pic before the forum upgrade.

• Like 2

Played WoW for a number of years and my first character was named Recruit. I loved the name, I still use the name where I can get it. Recruittons became a bastardization of Recruit because of just how often it is taken. At this point, I have recruittons in use as much as Recruit!

• Like 3

Mine was originally the taken from the mask of time from Bionicle, but it's taken on a new meaning for me; Lost hero. Solo wanderer works as well. There's a reason for this.

I've named a lot of my characters Vahi, and a lot of times, the character's origin was mine to decide, and they usually ended up loners or wanderers, helping people as they could, just wanting a place in the world for themself, but never finding it, rarely making friends and usually ready to leave them behind. Being a social outcast in my youth, it's a fitting origin. However, like DwarvenRanger, if you have my loyalty, you have an ally and friend that would go to great legnths to aid you. Unlike DarvenRanger, however, I've severed ties with several former friends, but this is only after I found that they've become terrible people, shadows of their former selves. In essence, it's a projection of who I am, a loner who's dealt with evil and promotes good.

• Like 2

Dilvish (the Deliverer and then the Damned) was the the main character in the first fantasy book I ever read (Dilvish the Damned by Roger Zelanzy). As this forum was the first I ever joined, I figured why not use the name that lead me into fantasy and role-playing and then into miniatures in the first place.

• Like 2

Around the time that G.Lucas inflicted the second Star Wars trilogy upon us all, there was a "formula" floating around which allowed those so inclined to create their own unique Star Wars name.

I thought mine actually came out quite well without being overtly Star Warsian, so that's me then. :;):

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 2

Shiqra was the name I made up for my first-ever gaming character, way back in 2001 when I started playing EverQuest. She was a dark elf mage with a particular gift for getting lost and winding up dead...and well, not much has changed :P

• Like 1

My name is also from my time playing Everquest 1, i was looking for a gem name for my elven cleric, and Citrine was the first one I liked that wasn't already taken. So from then on I always made a cleric/healer types with that name (if available).

• Like 1
  • Members

Well my name is from the Cartoon Samurai Jack, but also because my real name is Jack. I also use it as my Barfleet name (drinkers with a sci-fi problem who throw parties at various conventions in the midwest).

My SCA name is Gwalchmai but I go by Malachai and am currently the Midrealm calendar secretary.

• Like 2

I put the the brief version† in the text field that is at the top of my profile page. Just click my avatar.

(On another forum I post as 'Pendrake'. But that was unavailable when I signed up for this one. The initials of the other forum are TG. So it is three initials.)

Dilvish (the Deliverer and then the Damned) was the the main character in the first fantasy book I ever read (Dilvish the Damned by Roger Zelanzy). As this forum was the first I ever joined, I figured why not use the name that lead me into fantasy and role-playing and then into miniatures in the first place.

I hope you managed to read The Changing Land at some point.

• Like 1