Sign in to follow this  
Mierot

02818: Bugbear Warriors

The adventuring party has reached the point where they scoff at meeting run-of-the-mill first-level goblins, so the DM asked for something a little different. I started on the first of two bugbear warriors a week or so ago, then got distracted by the holiday. So far I have his torso skin painted.

I used the tanned skin triad, along with a bit of amber gold to give everything a slight yellowish tone. The basecoat is tanned skin and amber gold (2:1 ratio), followed by shading with tanned shadow plus amber gold (2:1 ratio) and blackened brown plus tanned shadow plus amber gold (1:1:1 ratio). The first highlight is tanned skin plus tanned highlight plus amber gold (1:1:1 ratio), followed by a highlight of tanned highlight plus amber gold (2:1 ratio), topped by just tanned highlight.

I am working on getting better at controlling the paint in a series of thin layers to create the blends. So far so good, only a few near panics when the paint suddenly floods off the brush. ^_^

post-5366-0-43936000-1356904908_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have become fairly adept at the quick dunk and swirl in the water jar to clear off my brush and turn it into an eraser. I have not tried keeping a damp brush nearby yet. My experiments with wet blending showed me that I am not that good at keeping track of more than one brush at a time. I'll give it a go though!

The mane and body fur will be basecoated in a dark brown, though I am still deciding on the overall look. I am leaning toward differentiating between his body fur and mane/guard hairs. Brown, but with different shades. Maybe more of a yellow for the body fur and a darker brown for the mane?

Some progress from the last day. I basecoated the hair, then focused on the face, which is usually my favorite part of the mini to paint.

post-5366-0-63042400-1357055653_thumb.jpg

I tried to add some color to the eyes by layering on some pale yellow. I think I'm going to rework it with a red instead. The eyes are not as readable as I would like, even in real life.

post-5366-0-38672600-1357055762.jpg

• Like 1

Another hour of painting and some more progress on the first bugbear. Redoing the eyes definitely was the way to go. The colored iris now stands out from the surrounding white. Like always, the left eye needs a little work. I wonder if it is because I'm right handed...

post-5366-0-20565000-1357270178.jpg

I also added highlights to the hair and fur, though it looks like I missed the stomach, and started in on the leather. The mail also got a very dark basecoat in preparation for the metallics.

post-5366-0-03175800-1357270186_thumb.jpg

I think I need to push the highlights a little higher on the hair and beard.

• Like 1

Another hour of painting and some more progress on the first bugbear. Redoing the eyes definitely was the way to go. The colored iris now stands out from the surrounding white. Like always, the left eye needs a little work. I wonder if it is because I'm right handed...

Nah, I'm right handed and I always have trouble with the right eye. :upside: Of course, I could just be the exception...

More than two weeks without an update, but the paintbrush has not been completely idle.

post-5366-0-68403100-1358308223_thumb.jpg

It is finally down to the items on his belt, plus his weapons. Seeing all the browns, I feel like I need to add a bit of color to at least some of the things tucked into the belt. Certainly the head.

• Like 2

More than two weeks without an update, but the paintbrush has not been completely idle.

attachicon.gifwarrior1-4.jpg

It is finally down to the items on his belt, plus his weapons. Seeing all the browns, I feel like I need to add a bit of color to at least some of the things tucked into the belt. Certainly the head.

Having lots of brown like that says "I are stoopid bugbear barbarian" to me. Dunno if that's what you're going for, but I think it looks fine.

I like minis with lots of brown. It's almost like people are afraid to use brown. A lot of older video games caught a lot of flak during the 'reality is brown' phase. But I love seeing a good usage of a variety of browns, especially for primitives. I've done two minis out of the nine so far where I've focused on trying to make an interesting brown-heavy paint scheme.

I would like a better solution for various bags and pouches, because while I just said I love brown variations it would be nice to have something that lent authenticity and believability without the blue and green bags commonly seen.

See... I always feel like I use TOO MUCH brown. I have a nasty habit of wanting my minis to be as realistic as I can make them (inasmuch as a horned half-demon or big green orc can be realistic), which, in a fantasy setting, means lots of browns. Fully half of any fantasy world is made of leather wood and fur. I have a pretty modest paint collection still, but I've probably got 8 browns, each of which have seen more use than just about any other colour I have.

I actually need to learn how to use more colour. I have blues and reds that have never been opened.

Jeez... I really love this sculpt. I think it's the eyebrows and the teeth. It just has this sort of.... "Durrrr.." to it that I don't know that I've seen so well expressed on a mini before.

Edited by Baugi

Jeez... I really love this sculpt. I think it's the eyebrows and the teeth. It just has this sort of.... "Durrrr.." to it that I don't know that I've seen so well expressed on a mini before.

I reject the implication, sir, that furrowed brows and snaggle teeth are indicative of native intelligence, or of the capabilities and natural limits of the goblinoid race. Now I suggest you cease this discriminatory language forthwith, or I shall have my orc attorney contact you.

Fully half of any fantasy world is made of leather wood and fur.

One thing I tried on the Ogre Chieftain was alternate fur colors. Tons of variety can go in there. I also need to work on a good tanned deerhide kind of effect.

Also on the Ogre I tried for more of a greenish-grey brown for a wood tone.

Of all the fantasy races, goblinoids are my favorite to paint. So much character.

@fanguad - The browns just kind of happened. Hmm...he's a bugbear, not as well equipped as a hobgoblin, I know...brown leather armor and brown straps and a brown belt. He's a young and in his prime bugbear, I know...a thick crop of brown hair and beard.

@Baugi - 8 browns? That's it? I have quite a wide variety of that noble color, and end up mixing shades to add more. :;):

Edited by Mierot

Modest paint collection, as I said. :) I'm fairly recent (back) to the hobby.

For reference, I have 2 each of blue, yellow and red. Heh.