Buglips' Bones Thread (Formerly Known as 77005 Ogre)

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zommmmmmmmmbieeeeeeesssss . . .

post-3313-0-62584300-1362951089_thumb.jpg

I have three more of these to do. These are the only Bones I don't like, which is part of why they took since last wednesday to do when the bugbear and bathalian went super quick.

My dislike isn't easy to nail down. It's not the sculpt itself, though I know some people think the pose is weird. I kinda like it, and there's no question of the skill of the sculptor. I think some of it is that this mini seems to translate to the material less well than others. It tends to be heavy with flash and it's a bit fiddly. So I think some of my dislike is because it needs a little more work than I prefer it did. To be fully honest, some of it might just be because I'm pretty sick of Zombie Culture by now.

Anyway, these guys can stand in for zombies, revenants, ghouls, ghasts, whatever. So I have a place for them. I may like the alternate sculpt coming with the KS Bones better.

Still, gripes and all, I think these dudes are pretty cool.

• Like 11

I would say, your own personal like or dislike aside, these turned out really well. The color scheme you have on them reminds me of the undead rising up as the sun goes down, kind of between day and Night. Very nice, cool color palette. Except for a cultural zombie overload, I can't find a reason to complain about the paint job. Quite the contrary.

That paint came from the bugbear experiment. After seeing how the more extreme contrast, even with a weird base colour, turned out on that I decided to try something similar here. So that's just a basecoat of Reaper Pro Paint Ghoul Gray with a quick highlight of partha flesh on top.

I suspect it would also work nicely for flesh golems.

Edit to add: I highlighted halfway randomly to make it look as if the skin wasn't uniform, make it look a little more raggedly rotten. Also, I chose partha flesh as the highlight colour because I've discovered that partha paint has a very unusual property for many of the colours in the line: unlike other paint brands, where you have to be cautious with your highlights because they dry lighter than they appear when applied - parthas tend to dry darker.

Weird, huh?

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 1

Buglips, I have not commented yet on your work in this thread, but I wanted to say everything looks great. You are building up a large set. I am assuming you are a big Gamer, and are working getting your monsters ready for the game. Do you have a lot more planned? Any more NPC's coming?

Moonglum, the oldest partha I can verify is 1992. I suspect a couple are a year or two older, and my youngest is 1998.

cookjimjr, these are intended for gaming, yup. I will eventually have every bones in here. Some models I only need once - some will number dozens. My rough estimate total, just from the SKUs available when the KS hit the store is over 800 bones.

• Like 2

Wonderful work! Awesome conpect with the painting speed! :)

What is your plan for the army of bones? RPGs? :)

That's the primary objective, though in actual reality that might just be an excuse for hoarding.

It seems to be a bit too many for the standard game, I mean who needs to fight 20 skellies? Oooh, I could swarm the players, or paint some in "warlock-ly animatied" colors, or... Kobolds with different colors, to serve different dragons, or paint some Fire-rats or dragonic - whatever. Seriously doesnt need duplicates, right? ;)

20 skeletons is a realistic possibility. 40 skeletons is a realistic possiblity.

We once fought twenty thousand kobolds.

I'm not painting that many, I'm capping them at 60.

ETA: The Bulk List so far:

Capped at 60:

Goblins

Kobolds

Regular Orcs

Capped at 40:

Skeletons

Capped at 20-25:

Big Orcs

Ogres

Zombies

Capped at 10-15:

Bugbears

Gnolls

Giants (all giants, regardless of colour, will serve as proxies for any giant race)

Capped at 5-10:

Ettin

Drider

Spiders

Flits (one of each prime chromatic)

And so on, you get the idea. My goal is to never again, ever, have to use a board game piece to represent a monster. Bones are meant for hoarding, and that's just what I'll do - one these days these Bones are gonna horde all over you . . .

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 8

I would really like to one day have enough minis to field similar army sizes. Your numbers look good, we've faced 60 or more of the common humanoid races, gnolls and bugbears by the dozens, double digit giants or demons. We usually pick one or two of the actual critter, then fill out the rest of the troops with whatever we have that is even close size-wise, then say, 'Everything looks like these minis'. We'll wind up fighting a half dozen trolls using one troll, two hill giants, a demon, a dire bear and an elemental and say, 'imagine they are all trolls'. Of course if the troll mini gets killed we swap him with the bear, the closer to the end of the battle, the closer it looks to what is actually happening.

• Like 1

Wonderful work! Awesome conpect with the painting speed! :)

What is your plan for the army of bones? RPGs? :)

That's the primary objective, though in actual reality that might just be an excuse for hoarding.

It seems to be a bit too many for the standard game, I mean who needs to fight 20 skellies? Oooh, I could swarm the players, or paint some in "warlock-ly animatied" colors, or... Kobolds with different colors, to serve different dragons, or paint some Fire-rats or dragonic - whatever. Seriously doesnt need duplicates, right? ;)

20 skeletons is a realistic possibility. 40 skeletons is a realistic possiblity.

We once fought twenty thousand kobolds.

I'm not painting that many, I'm capping them at 60.

ETA: The Bulk List so far:

Capped at 60:

Goblins

Kobolds

Regular Orcs

Capped at 40:

Skeletons

Capped at 20-25:

Big Orcs

Ogres

Zombies

Capped at 10-15:

Bugbears

Gnolls

Giants (all giants, regardless of colour, will serve as proxies for any giant race)

Capped at 5-10:

Ettin

Drider

Spiders

Flits (one of each prime chromatic)

And so on, you get the idea. My goal is to never again, ever, have to use a board game piece to represent a monster. Bones are meant for hoarding, and that's just what I'll do - one these days these Bones are gonna horde all over you . . .

This, dare I say it about you, is extremely sensible. I shall be doing the same for pathfinder. I don't like using "stand ins" either.

13 pages, you need in the first thread an index of you paintings!

That's a good idea.

I would really like to one day have enough minis to field similar army sizes. Your numbers look good, we've faced 60 or more of the common humanoid races, gnolls and bugbears by the dozens, double digit giants or demons. We usually pick one or two of the actual critter, then fill out the rest of the troops with whatever we have that is even close size-wise, then say, 'Everything looks like these minis'. We'll wind up fighting a half dozen trolls using one troll, two hill giants, a demon, a dire bear and an elemental and say, 'imagine they are all trolls'. Of course if the troll mini gets killed we swap him with the bear, the closer to the end of the battle, the closer it looks to what is actually happening.

Now the scope of my plan becomes clear! It's not enough that a Bugbear look good when he's painted - but that I can replicate the result twelve more times. That's the balance between speed and quality I'm looking for here, and I've mostly got it - although things keep cropping up to kill my paint time. Though I suppose if I chose to paint Bones over going out to dinner with a lovely goblin girl I might have priority issues.

This, dare I say it about you, is extremely sensible.

It's rare, but it does happen. It's like an exotic disease that afflicts only one in every 1,000 goblins. Relatives like to gossip about it.

"Gribelda, did you hear? I heard that Dorips's son Buglips came down with a bad case of The Sensibles. Poor goblin, dear heart. But we warned them, didn't we, Gribelda? All that hanging around with hoomans would bear ill froot, wouldn't it?"

• Like 4