Sign in to follow this  
buglips*the*goblin

Buglips' Bones Thread (Formerly Known as 77005 Ogre)

*Looks at all painted minis* ......

*Looks at the time it took to paint them all* .....

*Looks at my own shelf of minis.* .....

................. I think I am going to have to kill you... x) jk ;P Amazing work!

• Like 2

I have finally finished off my troublesome third Bones Ogre:

post-3313-0-08066900-1367840824_thumb.jpg

I don't much like how he turned out, but I can live with it. I decided to experiment with Coat D'Arms "flesh", which is something of a pale yellow. I suppose it was designed to work with flesh wash, which would make it appear more normal. In this case, it just kinda gave him a weird skintone. The paint also had a lot of fight in it. He looks okay enough, and it's at least a different look than his compadres.

That sculpt also had some weird molding issues. Outside of the extremely prominent moldlines, which were a lot worse than I see on the other ones of his kind, several spots had a weird pitted texture to them - you can probably see it most on his fangs. Weird. But anyways, he's good enough for the front line.

Also, here's my green Flit if you missed him in the Bones WIP request thread:

post-3313-0-20756800-1367841079_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

darklining works really nice here, makes these minis pop. ogre's club could use something more than just a base colour though :)

darklining works really nice here, makes these minis pop. ogre's club could use something more than just a base colour though :)

It has it. It just doesn't look like it has it. I undercompensated for the new Earth Brown, and didn't make the dark undercoat dark enough (the old Earth Brown had a shocking tendency to dry much lighter than it appeared when wet). It's distinguishable in person, not so much through the lens.

I have finally finished off my troublesome third Bones Ogre:

That sculpt also had some weird molding issues. Outside of the extremely prominent moldlines, which were a lot worse than I see on the other ones of his kind, several spots had a weird pitted texture to them - you can probably see it most on his fangs. Weird. But anyways, he's good enough for the front line.

I dunno Bugs, with that pale skin he almost looks like an extremely old ogre with the textures he's rocking out with. It works for me, warts and all.

well, not sure if you feel like going back to it, but maybe try a stronger highlight? the club has an interesting texture sculpted (plus the "face") and it would be a really quick and easy exercise.

orange, ochre, light brown, flesh.... any of these would work, I suppose. Gently drybrush or even better paint with a side of your brush to hit top of the texture...

These are primarily intended for deployment in (large) numbers, not for fancy display. He's #3 of an eventual 20, and it doesn't look bad enough in person to justify going back and fixing it for him (or the orcs and goblins done at the same time). It only looks bad in the picture. I'll incorporate the lesson on #4 instead, either making the undercoat darker or adding something to lighten the highlight.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

It's cool. I just hadn't seen you post in a while, so I thought I ought to explain that the objective with these is a little different from regular painting and that in the interests of speed and production I'll usually make changes moving forward rather than go back to fix things. That's a philosophy I outlined previously, but if you've been away for a while it would have been easy to miss. It's a good suggestion, but I thought I should tell you why I wouldn't be doing it on this particular guy.

But feel free to offer suggestions or comments. Even if I don't employ them on the model in question, they might be useful to somebody reading along. Lots of new faces hereabouts.

In this case, what caught me was that the Earth Brown I had been using was from an older batch - 6, 7 years old. So possibly the formula was slightly different or it was just old. I ran out of that dropper about a month ago and had to order a replacement. And the new bottle, as it turned out, behaves a little differently than the old. Going on it looked the same, but where previously it would then lighten dramatically, here it didn't. And by the time that was evident, I'd already moved onto the orcs.

Generally I won't go back and make a fix unless it's really worth doing, because while it might only be five minutes to do, after 100 different fixes like that for various things then I'm looking at nearly 10 hours of additional time. So I'm willing to make some compromises, if they don't severely undermine the piece, in order to keep the output rate up.

But if this was a regular miniature where bulk output wasn't a concern and I was painting just to paint, then I'd totally go back and make the fix.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

I never had 20,000 Kobolds but I did have a castle full of mercs and assorted minions in support of a vampire priestess and a blue dragon necromancer. It was a bad day. Closest I've ever come to a tpk.

You've done three ogres so 17 to go, are you trying to find a good paint scheme and then "batch paint" them maybe just changing the occasional colour or are you going to try for 20 unique skin and clothes tones? The latter sounds like a big undertaking - will we see a turquoise skinned ogre?! :p

Edit: spelling mistakes again...... :s

Edited by Dadcubed

Also, not focusing on the face of that club can make the Ogre less "chieftain" and more "one of the guys". I thought that was your intention when I first saw the picture! :)

You've done three ogres so 17 to go, are you trying to find a good paint scheme and then "batch paint" them maybe just changing the occasional colour or are you going to try for 20 unique skin and clothes tones? The latter sounds like a big undertaking - will we see a turquoise skinned ogre?! :p

Edit: spelling mistakes again...... :s

So far the winner seems to be Ral Partha Flesh, though RP Amerindian was also nice. The Coat D'Arms Flesh looked like something fun to try. It's okay, but I don't really feel it on this dude. But it might work on the Manor Ettin incoming, or some other beastie. Though it does break up the other skin tones nicely . . . so maybe I'll do another one like it.

#4 is being done in Coat D'Arms Dwarven Flesh, which I haven't tried yet. Probably that will resemble the parthas. And then #5, eventually, will be done in Partha Warrior Flesh. I think that'll be all my possible flesh tones (I also have CDA Elf Flesh, but I'm not convinced that will make decent Ogre skin). I have some Reaper Hill Giant Brown I might also try.

It usually doesn't take much extra effort or time - Troublesome Ogre being the exception. But that was mostly because the CDA Flesh had a serious attitude problem. The leathers, base, bandages, club, metals, fur, and pouch are just standard formulas employed across a range of minis (this also means an Ogre can hang in the background getting bits painted as I work on other stuff, only being promoted to the front of the queue for finishing work) and the skintone method is the same for all with minor variation.

With #4 I'll have 4 Bones and one metal. With me now running the game, I can plan around what I have so that might do in the meantime. Additional ones will come after I've chewed through some of the Kickstarter, but it might take a couple of years for enough to trickle to completion to field the full 20.

• Like 1