Inarah

Here be dragons! 2013 paint challenge

Humm. Want to make this a contest that ends in December? I'll get prizes if people want to do this.

Maybe do

1) 50mm and smaller dragons

2) Stuff larger then #1

3) Diorama

A contest sounds good, and may provide some extra motivation to help people get finished. I still think it should not include the smallest dragons, though. I don't want to say "they're too easy", but the challenge was to push people to do the larger figures which we just don't see very often. A diorama category would be great, many of the poses lend themselves to it. Would you limit it to only Reaper figures?(Are they sponsoring prizes, or are you doing it individually?) I'd want to get my old Ral Partha _Antagonists_ out for a diorama.

• Like 1

Well I have an old GW Red Dragon (as in pre-1990) that I plan to sort out next month and then there is the Bones dragons (which I have all of coming).

So yes I'm in for Dragon painting!

I am up for this challenge I have been putting off painting a dragon for far too long. I always feel inspired when I see others paint up a dragon so this challenge may be the push I need to finally get my dragons started.

I will choose the Pathfinder Red Dragon (60028) as I wanted to do a diorama with him and I already have him. I'll start prepping him this weekend, but it is doubtful he'll see paint for awhile.

For a red dragon what color primer would work best?

I usually use white but have been meaning to try gray out, black is not something I like usually as it is harder for me to make out detail.

• Like 3

I like to prime dragons with flesh tones and a lighter version of whatever color you want to use for the scales, so if you are doing a blue dragon I would use something like sky blue as its main primer, if its a red dragon I'd use I light orange color

Edited by Rocketpropelledgames
  • Like 1

Humm. Want to make this a contest that ends in December? I'll get prizes if people want to do this.

Maybe do

2) Stuff larger then #1

3) Diorama

A contest sounds good, and may provide some extra motivation to help people get finished. I still think it should not include the smallest dragons, though. I don't want to say "they're too easy", but the challenge was to push people to do the larger figures which we just don't see very often. A diorama category would be great, many of the poses lend themselves to it. Would you limit it to only Reaper figures?(Are they sponsoring prizes, or are you doing it individually?) I'd want to get my old Ral Partha _Antagonists_ out for a diorama.

I can break this down into Reaper vs Non-reaper and for the non-Reaper category I know I can scrounge up some rewards from other sources. Though I'll still ask Reaper to see if they'll sponsor a contest with non-reaper stuff first. Just haven't yet as I didn't want to inject myself into your competition without asking first.

Edited by MonkeySloth

Jabberwocky?

If it looks like a dragon, acts like a dragon, talks like a dragon, it is a dragon.

I think it is a unique dragon.

There are so many versions of dragons: eastern dragons, western dragons, wyverns, wyrms, hydras, feathered serpents, sea serpents

Some have

- no wings,

- no wings and are legless

- only wings, and legless,

- are quadruped (only wings + legs)

- legs, arms, wings

- scales or feathers

- one, two, three, five, seven or more heads

- some are small or very big, some are bigger than planets

- some are not more than animals, some are very intelligent, some are gods or godlike

- some have magic, some not

- some have odem weapons (not only fire), some not

So why should Jabberwocky not a dragon? :ph34r:

People of the world, give the Jabberwocky the status of a dragon. :bday:

I should have been hours ago in bed, it is really time to do the walk, äh, sleep...

Edited by Teskal
  • Like 2

Dragons! Absolutely I am in! Now...which ones do I paint this year? That is the question. But really it will be fun to see all the finished dragons and all the different directions people go with them. As an aside, I will be doing a large dragon/large figure prep and pinning classes at ReaperCon. If anyone finds themselves in deep water, just give me a shout and I can always help.

• Like 5

I'll do it! I've got Nethy, Kaladrax, the pathfinder red dragon, and Wyrmgear coming ::D: I'll let you know which one I'll paint when my husband decides which one he wants painted first, lol

• Like 2

There are some Bones dragons coming my way and I still have one old WIP gw dragon, so yeah, why not ::):

As for making a contest out of this challenge - why don't you accept all manufacturers (that's the Reaper forum policy anyway), but only Reaper dragons would be eligible for the contest (and prizes)? It kinda seems inappropriate to have prizes from other sources on their own forum.

• Like 1

Maybe do

2) Stuff larger then #1

3) Diorama

I can break this down into Reaper vs Non-reaper and for the non-Reaper category I know I can scrounge up some rewards from other sources. Though I'll still ask Reaper to see if they'll sponsor a contest with non-reaper stuff first. Just haven't yet as I didn't want to inject myself into your competition without asking first.

Traditionally if Reaper is willing to sponsor a contest on the forums like this it should be restricted to Reaper Minis. You could perhaps still have a category for Non-Reaper but there would be no prizes for it.

Traditionally if Reaper is willing to sponsor a contest on the forums like this it should be restricted to Reaper Minis. You could perhaps still have a category for Non-Reaper but there would be no prizes for it.

I have no problem with you "injecting" yourself and suggesting a contest, as I said earlier. It was a good idea. It's probably time for it to have it's own thread though.

We have over 20 participants in the Challenge now, and I'm really excited about seeing all of them get painted up.

Are we allowed to volunteer Buglips' Takhismat? hehehehe

It is to be done this year. I would hold off on Takhismat. I'm thinking 2015 for that beeing done!

• Like 1