Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Here be dragons! 2013 paint challenge

What if he adds wings to the T-rex? Just playing devil's advocate, and a little silly.

Then he would have a mutant dinosaur... if he did that he could do a diorama with a mad scientist and the bionic ape, hehehe

But it still wouldn't be a dragon!

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 2

At the moment, for the purposes of the Challenge, anything in the manufacturer's catalog labeled "dragon" and synonymous terms like wyrm, wyvern or hydra; a reptilian monster, with leathery bat-like wings, scales, claws, and a long tail. All the Reaper dragons that are not labeled "familiar" or "young" and stand about 3.5" tall or larger. All the old Grenadier and Ral Partha "Dragon of the Month" sets, and the behemoths from Magnificent Egos, CMON, Heresy and other manufacturers.

The Contest will have similar but better defined rules as to what constitutes a dragon, for the purpose of winning prizes. That will be posted in due time.

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 1

I withdraw my dragons from consideration for prizes. I am told I am a PRO Dragon Painter...I believe it is akin to being a pro Dragon Slayer, but with chocolate given as tribute. So I will just post dragons. :-) First one coming up tomorrow :-)

Sue

well, if this is a contest, shouldn't the PRO win? ::):

also, where's that first dragon you mentioned? :devil:

… synonymous terms like wyrm, wyvern or hydra; a reptilian monster, with leathery bat-like wings, scales, claws, and a long tail. …

Emphasis added by me.

Just for the sake of clarity: Are the wings optional? I ask because hydras don't typically have wings but are acceptable for this contest. If wings are optional, how does one distinguish an acceptable monster from a dinosaur in light of the remaining description "a reptilian monster, with leathery bat-like wings, scales, claws, and a long tail"?

Just for the sake of clarity: Are the wings optional? I ask because hydras don't typically have wings but are acceptable for this contest. If wings are optional, how does one distinguish an acceptable monster from a dinosaur in light of the remaining description "a reptilian monster, with leathery bat-like wings, scales, claws, and a long tail"?

;)

KingGhidorah-Fly1.jpg

I withdraw my dragons from consideration for prizes. I am told I am a PRO Dragon Painter...I believe it is akin to being a pro Dragon Slayer, but with chocolate given as tribute. So I will just post dragons. :-) First one coming up tomorrow :-)

Sue

well, if this is a contest, shouldn't the PRO win? ::):

also, where's that first dragon you mentioned? :devil:

I knew I would get caught on that - due to plumbing semi-emergency, ebay duties, child's homework dramatics and issues on the other minis painted for my current project, the little guy isn't done yet. He's still in makeup and will be out for his debut very Soon . :blush:

• Like 1

So, in the discussion of what is a dragon....is this considered okay?

It was a quickie done as commission - 14442: Gam-Nan, Gaan-Hor Elder

post-1042-0-51763000-1358822825_thumb.jpgpost-1042-0-31703700-1358823087_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's awesome! I think he's a little small in regards to the minimum size (I think I saw something about 3.5") but since you're just showing off instead of competing I doubt anybody will gripe.

… synonymous terms like wyrm, wyvern or hydra; a reptilian monster, with leathery bat-like wings, scales, claws, and a long tail. …

Emphasis added by me.

Some dragons will not have wings, for example I know the oriental ones don't. If you're not sure about a specific figure, just ask. To paraphrase Justice Stewart, "It may be hard to define, but I'll know it when I see it."

The object here is for folks to pull out a dragon they've been hesitant to paint, and "git 'er done", have fun doing it, and share the progress. Don't worry too much if your dragon doesn't have wings, or scales, or scary claws as long as you feel it is reasonably dragon-like. But at the same time, we're not painting dinosaurs, or lizard men, or giant frog-priests. You can put wings and claws on a pig, but it's still a pig. :D

Sue, anything you paint is okay. :)

• Like 2

What it boils down to is the challenge should have been named "Here there be Drakes", as drakes are the family which dragons, hydras, wyverns, and wyrms belong to.

• Like 2

Ohh is it too late to put my name down to paint one of my big dragons I get from bones? It won't be a marvelous job (like some I'm sure we'll see) but it will be painted to the best of my ability!