Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Here be dragons! 2013 paint challenge

Why limit....Heaven and Hell or if preferred Angels and Demons to give themed flexibility. By the time tht contest is up i might have my dragon painted for the contest that already ended.

• Like 1

judging takes a few days. Remember the Judges don't get compensated for doing this so I don't like to give them short deadlines as they're all taking time to do this for the love of the hobby. This contest is also probably going to take them a little longer due to the crazy quality of the entries, especially in the diorama category--I have a feeling that's going to be very close for all 3 winners.

• Like 6

Having run the Halloween Contest this year, I will attest to the length of time is needed for judging. The judges really need plenty of time to run this, and they definitely need time. I looked at the quality, and, especially with a few entries (sadly not mine), using my own criteria I'd have a hard time picking a clear winner without having four to six days to think about it.

I also just realized I didn't wish everyone waiting good luck, because all of us did awesome work and I'd be glad to have any of the dragons in either contest on my gaming table or on my shelf of awesome.

• Like 5

Judging a contest is really tough. I've done it before and I don't envy anyone who is placed in that position. Then again, I want to be put out of my misery as much as the next person.

I don't envy the judges either... the quality of those in the running for the prizes is quite high (I can say this as mine is in running for the random draw and no where near the top anything) and I am not sure how they are going to make a decision.. I couldn't.

MonkeySloth, Inarah, whoever is involved... don't rush it. It is ok. I believe most of us who entered are just anxious, but we can wait. We had a nice time doing the challenge, and in my case it got me back into painting, so I consider myself already a winner :blush:

Plus, it helped me evaluate my own ego vs my painting skills. Even with the great entries, I am more than happy with my production for the Diorama category.

• Like 4

Yep, no rush here. I know I won't win, but make sure to take your time to figure out who does win. It was a really fun project and I learned a lot in the process.

• Like 1

Will be announcing the winners later today.  The forums were down when I tried to do this last night so once I get done with the podcasting stuff I'm working on I'll get everything announced.

Just a FYI: If you want feedback you will need to PM me.  It's gets too hard to keep track of the requests in thread.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Here are the winners!

Diorama

1st place -- Vulture for "Cat and Mouse"

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/49646-here-be-dragons-2013-diorama-entry-thread/?p=817438

leftfinal_zps42c75128.jpg

backfinal_zps084524b5.jpg

2nd Place --  Jonishi for "Wyrmgear and the Gnomes"

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/49646-here-be-dragons-2013-diorama-entry-thread/?p=817312

post-12679-0-63524800-1388515159_thumb.j

3rd Place -- Willen

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/49646-here-be-dragons-2013-diorama-entry-thread/?p=817035

post-12204-0-13584100-1388455842_thumb.j

Participation Prize -- Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 13

Single Dragon

1st Place -- Odinsgrandson

img52b1c26e4f298.jpg

Participations prizes:

Darius Greenwell

Janciolds

SamuraiJack

Von Krieger

Thanks to everyone that participated.  I hope this was a fun and reward contest for all of you.  There will be a new contest starting tonight that will run though most of Feburary and I'll link it in this thread once it's started.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 13

Whoa, the wait is over and I actually came second...! I had a great time making the diorama and I'm glad other people enjoyed as much as I did. It must have been very hard judging this contest, so thank you very much for that, jury! I also thoroughly enjoyed viewing the other entries so well done everyone and congratulations to the winners!

Edited by jonishi
  • Like 5