Getting ready for kickstarter minis

Demogon

I need some help getting together a list of materials - that will be needed for the reaper kickstarter mini deluge that will hit my house soon. Is there any and all recommended brush sizes? paint thinner, brush conditioners, palettes or any other things i've forgotten or just don't know about? it has been quite some time 10+ years since i've painted and have never painted these bones minis. i will appreciate any info you can give me. once i know what to look i'll be ok.

THANKS

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that what people need is a matter of personal opinion.

For brushes, I suggest getting some good brushes in sizes 0,1 & 2. I don't bother with anything smaller since the paint dries too quickly and, if the other brushes are good, the points should be fine enough to do detail. I would also pick up some cheap brushes from the dollar store to use for mixing/drybrushing.

Brush conditioners/cleaners are ok but I find that if you are are good with your brushes, they aren't needed at the start. I have some pink soap that I use to clean my brushes but this is only done every couple of months.

I use a ceramic pallet with a number of resevoirs to mix/think paints. However, I also use a plastic plate for painting when I am traveling.

The other things I suggest you get is a good hobby knife/scalpel for cleaning the minis, a set of clippers and some files. The files may not be needed with Bones as many people find that a knife works better. You will also want some glue.

I assume that you have paints from the KS. The only other option is whether you are going to prime your Bones minis or not. I haven't with good success but others say that priming is better. Your choice.

I hope this helps ;)

• Like 2

It sort of depends on what your overall goal is. I've gone the very basic route, and some others strive for more advanced results.

For basic stuff like these examples I'm doing http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47047-bones-revisit-77005-ogre/ what you'll need is pretty simple. If you're looking for results better than that, you'll need some extra stuff.

• Like 1

Do you recommend any Brand name of brush or brush point round or narrow?

MiniCannuck I have most of that stuff already so it seems i might be close to ready for the Paint to fly! thanks for the advice just to pick up a couple of brushes.

Buglips I like your ogres they are nice, what is the extra stuff i'd need for more detail? just in case i turn out to be a decent painter ;)

Mostly it affects your material choices. What I did in that thread I did with cheap synthetic brushes, but if you want to paint them as better display miniatures more than just "colored game tokens" you'll need to get a couple of decent Kolinsky brushes. I like to use Winsor & Newton Series 7's. Heisler's links have a good list of materials, including brush sizes. If you go with Kolinskys, you'll need some brush soap and/or brush cleaner & restorer to help take care of them.

Basically, if you're planning to do your Bones like people paint metals you'll eventually need pretty much all the same tools, except maybe for files. So a regular miniature painting supply list will set you up. But if you were originally thinking more "quick & dirty" like I did in that thread, then you can shorten the material list by quite a bit and I didn't want to give you a big list of materials if you wouldn't wind up needing half of them.

My recommendation is that you plan for painting them to a good standard if you can. I'm compromising because I need Bones for a specific purpose and need to push them out in numbers. You can paint Bones every bit as good as a metal miniature.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

The 3 Basics are:

paints, brushes and how to take care for the brush

- The Brush should be a Kolinsky-sable-brush.

best ones should be Winsor & NewtonSERIES 7 MINIATURES - Short handle

- The brush size should be 2.

Especially for the W&N.

I'm in need of a new brush, my old ones are very, ähm, old. :-)

So I will get a W&N, size 2 and think about 2 cheapier kolinsky-brushes.

You don't really need a smaller one than size 2, if it has a long sable and good tip (or point, not sure with my english).

A good painter don't need a smaller one.

I would get only for dry brushing a cheapier one. You don't want to drybrush with your W&N or similiar brush. It will damage the point.

The only reason, why you could in need of a size 0 and 1 are moments, where you have not much space, like behind armpits or whatever.

Extras: cutting tools for edges from casting the minis

Extras: super glue for multiple parts miniatures

Extras: Green Stuff or Plastic Putty, to close holes

Extras: You need a magnifier very seldom, if you have the money get ony with arms which holds the miniature.

But It could helpful sometimes...

Look after How to clean or take care for Brushes!!!

And follow it!!!

Always!!!

Next step of painting: Search for painting Tutorials!

Personally, I would get some metal miniatures from reaper :-) and try first paintings on them. It is always easier to remove paint from them after it.

Edited by Teskal

I need some help getting together a list of materials - that will be needed for the reaper kickstarter mini deluge that will hit my house soon. Is there any and all recommended brush sizes? paint thinner, brush conditioners, palettes or any other things i've forgotten or just don't know about? it has been quite some time 10+ years since i've painted and have never painted these bones minis. i will appreciate any info you can give me. once i know what to look i'll be ok.

THANKS

If you want to start with the basics you could wait for the Learn to Paint Kits to be restocked from Reaper. No time frame beyond.....SoonTM

Extras: You need a magnifier very seldom, if you have the money get ony with arms which holds the miniature.

But It could helpful sometimes..

If you are young and have good eyesight, then you may be able to do without a magnifier.

If you are older or have vision problems, that a magnifier is pretty much required. I use reading glasses to paint, and sometimes I augment them with a light/magnifier that is at my workstation.

The other thing that you really should get is a couple of lights, and I suggest using reveal light bulbs, at the 100 watt strength. Having a light on either side of you as you paint will help bring out the details and reduce eye strain.

You don't really need a smaller one than size 2, if it has a long sable and good tip (or point, not sure with my english).

A good painter don't need a smaller one.

Said as someone who uses a #2 for almost everything, the body of the #2 is large (a good thing). But this means sometimes you'll want a smaller brush to reach tight areas where the larger body might touch the mini, like reaching into the space between the body and arm to paint a cloak or something (think the old game Operation...BZZT).

Also, I'm getting to the point where sometimes I appreciate the stiffer tip of the 0 or miniature 1 for certain things. But for starters, a high quality size 2 WNS7 is a solid brush to learn what you like.

I'd grab a small bundle of cheap, small synthetic brushes. These are for when you're going to deliberately hurt the brush:

Jab it point first into something.

Prime (and. you want it done fast).

Drybrush

Speed work especially for basecoating.

Gluing or painting over basing materials like sand.

And so on.

A word about files and mold lines. Because of the soft nature of the Bones material you really want something more along the lines of the type of files that women use to buff their nails. You can usually find these for cheap in the beauty aisle of a dollar store.

EDIT: just to clarify, I'm talking something like a very fine sandpaper/emery type of file.

Edited by Darsc Zacal