[Open/Group] Here Be Dragons 2013 Challenge

Corporea

This is an open thread for our 2013 Dragon Painting Extravaganza!

I started Cinder back when...um...she was released. Yeah, shelf of super shame. Here's what I've got so far. I may strip her on account of I started painting her when I had no light, so now her paint looks super thick, but at least you get an idea of the plan.

cinder-1_zps26ded5e6.jpg

Ok, feel free to join in!

• Like 9

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the base + overall I really like the color scheme as well.

Nice work....so far.

RM

Well I guess you gotta start somewhere.....................

post-476-0-96259500-1357962528_thumb.jpg

I've had DHL 3000 Kyra & Lavarath since they were released back in Dec of '05. Well maybe I've had them since Jan '06. Anyways I figured if anything to finally paint up this great collaboration between two legendary sculptors, Werner Klocke & Sandra Garrity. Who I can say with great pleasure that I've got to meet over the last few years at various ReaperCons.

I ordered a couple of Secret Weapon resin bases today as well. I wasn't sure if the 120mm circle was the right size (I used a CD as a test subject) even with Ebonwrath's wings there was still quite a bit of real estate that wasn't being taken up so I ended up going with a 60mm circle & 120mm oval. Pretty sure I can always use the one I don't use for anther project.

Now the hard part, deciding on what color I should paint Lavarath. :wacko:^_^

(NOTE: Corner are some various bits from other minis, these won't be included in this one. Unless of course Kyra or Lavarath needs a Chinese style Conical straw hat............... :huh: )

• Like 3

I ordered a couple of Secret Weapon resin bases today as well. I wasn't sure if the 120mm circle was the right size (I used a CD as a test subject) even with Ebonwrath's wings there was still quite a bit of real estate that wasn't being taken up so I ended up going with a 60mm circle & 120mm oval. Pretty sure I can always use the one I don't use for anther project.

Lavarath fits onto a 120mm oval pretty well.

post-7007-0-92307900-1357965568_thumb.jpg

Edited by czak
  • Like 1

Well given his name is Lavarath the implicit colour to go with is red.

Mind I have thought of going with white as well, mostly because the examples in the gallery are all reds.

Also if you want to use him for Warlord (and face it they are a good start on a Sisters army) then you need a 50mm square base, just sayin'.

Edited by ObsidianCrane

I don't play Warlord so I'm not worried about that ^_^

Pretty much going for display with the bases as it adds so much to the figure. I'm gonna keep that one a secret till I get the base painted up :ph34r:

As far as the skin, pretty sure I'll go with red, as it is the iconic dragon color & being this is the 3000 DHL figure & such.

I chose the Pathfinder Red Dragon (60028) for this challenge. I have had him assembled for quite some time, but never even put primer on him as this will be my first time painting a dragon.

So here he is all assembled with greenstuff. After closer inspection I saw a few more areas to fix so I will work on that then hopefully get some paint on him.

post-5971-0-39503400-1358030442_thumb.jpg

post-5971-0-61786000-1358030453_thumb.jpg

Good luck everyone it'll be quite fun to see all the dragons painted up this year.

• Like 3

Since my Takky already has her own thread, when I get my Kickstarter dracos I'll post them in here. Tak's presently the only large dragon I have. I got some itty bitty ones, like Flit, a White Dragon, a Topaz, and an RAFM ice dragon but they don't meet the size for entry. Biggest thing I have even vaguely resembling a dragon after Tak is a wyvern.

Looking forward to reading this in the meantime while I wait for my Bones.

Haldir - Kyra and Lavarath are in my queue for this year, too -- I'll be watching yours with interest!

Well don't watch to closely. I am the "World's slowest painter" thou I may have given up that title last May............. ^_^

• Like 1

Haldir - Kyra and Lavarath are in my queue for this year, too -- I'll be watching yours with interest!

Well don't watch to closely. I am the "World's slowest painter" thou I may have given up that title last May............. ^_^

Somebody should write a children's book about us two: The Tortoise and The Snail. Every page a nail-biter as they inch gradually towards their goal!

• Like 1

I was pointed to this thread by someone on facebook. They had mentioned about a Dragon painting challenge and I should perhaps add my work here too.

I started my Pathfinder Red Dragon the other week with the intention to perhaps ebay it off for some extra cash, this is still in the air. What I have so far found is that the Red Dragon is a big beastie and is hard to control.

Anyway first couple of piccies.

309566_189436654532388_2054626696_n.jpg

408466_189436834532370_935528921_n.jpg734812_189436944532359_42027729_n.jpg

I am open to all comments, positive and negative if you wish. If I am to progress in bettering myself I would like to know what I need do to improve.

• Like 5