Sign in to follow this  
MonkeySloth

Painting Excuses Winter Wonderland

MonkeySloth, I am working on a decorative base entry as long as I can get it finished in time. The mini is about 3/4 of the way done, then onto the base idea which I hope turns out.

well, I sure won't have time for three entries, as I've planned, but I should have a simple single mini entry within few days, and decorative base entry is WIP and I hope to have it finished by the deadline.

as for bases - well, 2 basing-based (pun intended) categories indeed seem like an overkill, but IMO basing should be the integral part of the voting/judging. this is not a painting contest, it's a miniature painting contest, and bases comprise very important aspect of our hobby. Not the most important of course, but still...

Bases are there to put your miniature into a context, to tell a story, to showcase your modelling skills.

This is me speaking, a painter, not a gamer ::): but, even gaming models (single, units, armies) can be put on display bases, right?

• Like 3

well, I sure won't have time for three entries, as I've planned, but I should have a simple single mini entry within few days, and decorative base entry is WIP and I hope to have it finished by the deadline.

as for bases - well, 2 basing-based (pun intended) categories indeed seem like an overkill, but IMO basing should be the integral part of the voting/judging. this is not a painting contest, it's a miniature painting contest, and bases comprise very important aspect of our hobby. Not the most important of course, but still...

Bases are there to put your miniature into a context, to tell a story, to showcase your modelling skills.

This is me speaking, a painter, not a gamer ::): but, even gaming models (single, units, armies) can be put on display bases, right?

Well spoken!

For dioramas, sure. And I like the very best display bases. But I find most basing detracts from the mini because I played AD&D for years with minis that had an integrated base. A simple red or grey oval base was the norm. The hordes that now sit on poorly-mown grass thanks to the GW effect, and slott-basing in general, is something people have become accustomed to and new painters/gamers expect.

I will begrudgingly try to learn basing, because at some point the hobby demands it despite what I may or may not prefer. And that means a long period of ruining perfectly good paint jobs with cheesy basing. I'm not exactly excited about that. I'd rather see a clean, non-intrusive base like I have Ororo instead of having her stand in gravel pit or weed patch.

• Like 2

I will begrudgingly try to learn basing, because at some point the hobby demands it despite what I may or may not prefer.

It's a hobby, it demands nothing but however much time and effort you feel appropriate to put into it. That's one of the great things about hobbies. ^_^

If you're looking to do pro work, or enter a number of contents, then you'll probably need to make the trade off. But until you take it to the next level, there's no reason to do anything that's not fun.

• Like 1

Catch-22. May as well get the really horrid stuff out of the way early. By the time I get to pro-level or entering major competition, I don't want to be learning to base.

Well people's different interest in the hobby is why I'm trying to mix up the categories this year. There will always be an open, anything goes, category though for people that want to enter but don't care about all the other stuff we require for some of them.

• Like 2

Don't worry I'm not picking on you. :poke: Just pointing out to people that we're trying to mix things up this year because everyone has different interests when it comes to this hobby. I've even been thinking of doing an army based category one time (minimum 5 figures or something all tied together with a similar paint theme).

• Like 1

I have to say, Cash, as someone with almost no interest in fancy basing, your outspokenness against it is the excuse I need to not bother with it right now. So thanks for letting me indulge my laziness. :poke:

• Like 1

See, as a mediocre painter, I find that the fancy basing the only way to really set my pieces apart! Not just that they are purty, but because it makes a miniature, that is otherwise wholly the same as someone else's copy of it, become unique ::D:

• Like 2

I have to say, Cash, as someone with almost no interest in fancy basing, your outspokenness against it is the excuse I need to not bother with it right now. So thanks for letting me indulge my laziness. :poke:

What will you do when I start learning to base next month, huh tough guy? :p

What will you do when I start learning to base next month, huh tough guy? :p

Denounce you as a traitor.

The goal of these challenges is all about challenging us all as hobbyist mini painters to take the full context of the miniature into account and to push us all to attempt things we've never done. It makes us better painters and overall better at the hobby as a whole.

• Like 4