What's your favorite part?

fanguad

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assembly, especially sets of multipart plastic figures. All sort of ideas and combinations!

Oh, yeah. ::): I miss those poseable plastic miniatures that GW used to make. Making a wizard by taking the legs of a high elf and the coated body from a Free Company figure.

The Auld Grump

I'm confused by your use of "used to". Plastic multipart poseables are still the bulk of their product line, the Free Company hasn't even changed since they were released.

The difference is in the word 'poseable'. Most are now one pose wonders, the arms of the handgunners and crossbowmen can only go on one way, as an example. The torsos and legs are one piece - the fellow with the brocade shirt will always be walking, left foot forward.

Take a look at the current GW plastic dwarfs - torso and legs are one piece. While heads can be swapped they cannot be positioned without the use of green stuff.

dwarf-thunderers-x4-sprues-5928-p%5Bekm%

Look at the Avatars of War Dwarf Berserkers - arms, hands and weapons, heads, torsos, legs - all separate pieces.

image004-1.jpg

Even the head has a small range of movement, and can be posed.

The older GW plastics were somewhere between those - I could (and did!) combine parts from several sets - now legs and torsos are one - so I cannot do that anymore.

Some folks complained that it made the models too complex - and harder to rank up in regiments. Me, I run an RPG set in the equivalent of the1630s - poseable plastic Empire dudes were awesome for that! (I like gunpowder in my fantasy.) Handing the players a box of kit, and telling them 'make your own mini!' felt good.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* First GW was a command sprue - not a fair comparison, they are even less poseable than most.... used Thunderers this time. And goodness, Google turns up a lot of images of the Mantic Dwarf sprues....

Edited by TheAuldGrump

Well, if you were to look around my place, it would be easy to assume my favourite part is to simply add them to one of my many "to paint" piles. ::):

In actuality, my favourite thing is having an assembly line of minis, all at different stages. So that no matter what I'm in the mood for, I've got a mini on my table waiting for that to be done to it.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 1

Assembly, especially sets of multipart plastic figures. All sort of ideas and combinations!

Oh, yeah. ::): I miss those poseable plastic miniatures that GW used to make. Making a wizard by taking the legs of a high elf and the coated body from a Free Company figure.

The Auld Grump

I'm confused by your use of "used to". Plastic multipart poseables are still the bulk of their product line, the Free Company hasn't even changed since they were released.

The difference is in the word 'poseable'. Most are now one pose wonders, the arms of the handgunners and crossbowmen can only go on one way, as an example. The torsos and legs are one piece - the fellow with the brocade shirt will always be walking, left foot forward.

Take a look at the current GW plastic dwarfs - torso and legs are one piece. While heads can be swapped they cannot be positioned without the use of green stuff.

dwarf-thunderers-x4-sprues-5928-p%5Bekm%

Look at the Avatars of War Dwarf Berserkers - arms, hands and weapons, heads, torsos, legs - all separate pieces.

image004-1.jpg

Even the head has a small range of movement, and can be posed.

The older GW plastics were somewhere between those - I could (and did!) combine parts from several sets - now legs and torsos are one - so I cannot do that anymore.

Some folks complained that it made the models too complex - and harder to rank up in regiments. Me, I run an RPG set in the equivalent of the1630s - poseable plastic Empire dudes were awesome for that! (I like gunpowder in my fantasy.) Handing the players a box of kit, and telling them 'make your own mini!' felt good.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* First GW was a command sprue - not a fair comparison, they are even less poseable than most.... used Thunderers this time. And goodness, Google turns up a lot of images of the Mantic Dwarf sprues....

I remember the old Eldar Guardians (GW) were more like the second set; all seperate pieces that gave some modicum of poseability. That's how I got started in this hobby.... And also how I realized I hate assembly (and to a lesser extent, prep work). I <3 Reaper and their "single piece for ease of use" mentality.

Don't get me wrong, some assembly is ok, but I got tired of super-gluing my hand to my eye to the table....

I love most of all of it. I love picking them out, opening the packages when I get them, inspecting them, prepping them, putting them on their bases, painting them, adding scenic stuff, and playing with them. :wub: Especially playing with them.

The only part I don't like is how much it makes my hands and shoulders hurt. Or all the little holes I poke in myself <_<

I love getting them in the mail. I get all giddy with glee when I see that tiny box on my porch. I also love painting clothes. I love blending and shading and highlighting vivid colors. I'm getting into monsters, lately too, and they're a lot of fun to paint, because there's fewer rules. I painted one of the bones 77007: Ghost with only two colors. Catseye Green and Monarch Purple. It came out AWESOME. I love experimenting and creating looks. When I paint, if I'm really into the char, I make up stories in my head about them. The Ogre Chieftain had so much character, I painted him as a grizzled old war vet, bloodied from one too many campaigns. Didn't hurt that I was reading a lot of Joe Abercrombie at the time...

• Like 1

I have 2 favorite parts:

the first is the inspiration to paint in the first place, the reason to paint, either to add to an army, or because something just strikes me.

the second is when it is completed. I do enjoy the parts in between, otherwise I wouldn't do any of it