Where are all of the 1 & 2 LTPKs?

daveismyhero

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I can't remember the last time I used a brush smaller than a #0. This does require that you have brushes with good points of course; I don't know how good your brushes are.

I don't know what order of procedures the LTPKs recommend, but at least if you start by base coating, you shouldn't need anything smaller. To the extent that very small brushes are necessary, they're really only necessary for detail work, not base coating.

LTPK 1&2 received. Content inventory failed. ::(:

How important is it to have the right brushes? I ended up with two 0 and two 2 flat and am the missing 5/0 and 3/0.

I also bought LTPK1 & 2 this past week and both kits had one flat and one 0. As part of fairly evaluating the kits, I am using only the paints and brushes provided to paint the kit models. I think the detail brush provided with the kits is fine so far, albeit I have only finished the LTPK1 Anhurian and my Christmas 2009 Sophie with it so far, both pictured below. I was pretty happy with the result with that brush and have achieved the best eyes I have ever done. I don't own a W&N series 7 like a lot of the folks on the board seem to universally recommend, so maybe it is just that up to now my existing detail brushes are either poor quality or maybe old enough to be worn out....in any event, the number 0 that was provided with the kits was a step up for me in terms of a good point and good enough to certainly last through the two minis in the kit and then some. With it being a thin brush, rate of drying out may be a problem for some folks who are not yet used to frequently cleaning their brushes even when using the same color....my advice is frequently cleaning your brush is a good practice to get into. Using a wet palette also helps keep the paints thin and drying time sufficiently long, and for new folks who have not yet made a wet palette, probably you should (a rubbermade container with a sponge and either pallete paper (available at Hobby Lobby among other places) or non-wax parchment is all you need to make one.

The flat brush I was less happy with as I prefer a stiffer brush for dry brushing, but it still got the job done on the Anhurian. I did use one of my other flats for dry brushing on the Sophie, but I will use the kit flat for the other LTPK figs so I can fairly review the kit as a whole, and so far that review looks to be VERY positive. My take is that they have substituted other parts of the kit clearly to the customers advantage (for example these kits now come with full bottles of all the paints, not just sample pots) and i think the brushes provided are good enough for anyone learning to paint, and certainly the best at the price point of the kits. I figure at the Reaper kickstarter prices, the paint value of these kits is $15 ($1.50 a bottle at the KS prices that most consider a steal) and the other $10 in the kit price covers two medium metal figs, two brushes and a great set of instructions on how-to. While I am not new to painting, I think the current LTPK with the full paint bottles are an awesome value.

post-6758-0-39343500-1359258401.jpgpost-6758-0-81033300-1359258415.jpgpost-6758-0-05171000-1359256457.jpg

It is also worth mentioning that brush size numbers are not universal between brands, so if Reaper changed brush suppliers a number X from one supplier would not likely be a number X for another supplier. IMHO, the kit descriptions needs to be updated to reflect that the kit comes with full dropper paint bottles (this is a huge positive in selling points) and that it comes with a detail brush and a flat brush...no need to mention brush size since size numbers mean less for brushes than they do for women's dress sizes.

Edited by badocter
  • Like 2

• Artists

I was assuming that the brushes included in the kits were the Reaper-branded red-handled brushes. These are a synthetic. Though if you treat them gently you can keep them in decent shape and probably get away with using the 0 for a while. (With two you could use one for rough work and keep one for details, also.) Sooner or later they will curl or splay, as will all synthetics.

If you didn't get what it said on the box that you should, you're within your rights to ask for a replacement.

If your ultimate goal is better or easier painting, then I recommend buying a good Kolinsky sable brush or two for doing the detail work. Treated well those will last for years and form the kind of fine point that makes detail work much, much less difficult. (Using the cheaper brushes for base coating and other rough work helps the nice ones last.) You can find suggestions for brands and sizes with a search on the Craft forum. Reaper's black handled brushes are sable. The other two most popular brands are Da Vinci Maestro and Winsor & Newton Series 7 (both of which come in two possible shapes and then an array of sizes within those shapes.) Which shape and size you prefer will unfortunately depend on personal preference and painting style, as well as the quality of construction of each individual brush. My general advice would be the standard size, buy a 1 or 0 and a 2/0, and a cake of brush cleaner soap.

• Artists

I believe the kits are in the midst of an overhaul, so the packaging will be changing when that happens. They're just continuing with the current sets as a stop-gap until stuff for the new sets is ready.