brush comparison

Inarah

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's their size, and no it's pretty much different between every brand.

This. 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. are smaller to larger. 0, 00, 000 (also written as 0, 2/0, 3/0) are larger to smaller.

However, as CashWiley notes, every brand (and sometimes even within a brand) is different. So my Reaper master series 5/0 Kolinsky is rated smaller than my W&N Series 7 2/0, but is actually larger in practice.

So the number is more of a rough guide than a set standard.

Thanks much, trying to figure out the meaning had been killing me. I knew you can't divide by zero, but I thought maybe brush makers didn't know that. And if you could divide by zero, would 5/0 be larger than 2/0? Well now I know, and knowing is half the battle. Hail Cobra!

But would a minis painter ever need a fan? They're for smooth blending of oils over large areas.

... I don't know what a comb shaped brush is, sorry.

Flats and filberts are good for large flat areas, but there aren't too many of those on most minis.

Basically, I suspect just about every need of a minis painter will be filled by rounds.

In the middle ages and Renaissance, rounds were all there were. There are contemporary instructions on how to make brushes (different sizes used the quills from different birds as ferrules), and none of them mention anything but rounds.

I wonder when the diffent shapes were invented, and by whom, and why.

I get a good deal of miles out of my smaller flat brush (~3/16" wide). It gets used for picking up raised edges on hair and chainmail and also gets drafted into drybrushing bases. The poor thing gets bet up almost as much as my 5/0.