Miniatures collection reflection

Shakandara

In a little over a week, I'm moving. When Terri and I moved into this apartment 6 years ago, I was a pretty serious miniatures collector. I already had some rare stuff, and had even started going back and tracking down OOP stuff that I'd once owned and sold/lost, or always wanted to have. I had been sending stuff off for commission work for several years at that point, and the percentage of my collection that was painted was steadily growing. About 4 years ago, I did an inventory on my entire collection, and I've been good about keeping it up to date as stuff has been painted, new stuff has come in, and when stuff was traded away or sold.

I have 3 of the IKEA glass cases filled with painted miniatures on display, and hordes of stuff around my desk in various states of assembly. I also have somewhere around 17 miniature cases in varying sizes and designs. Between that, and the knowledge of my database on the collection, I thought I had a pretty good handle on what I had.

Boy was I wrong.

As I've been packing everything up, I'm being reminded over and over again that I've got some really cool stuff in my collection. Of course I'd think the stuff is cool (I did buy it after all, right?), and it's not that I was unaware of what I had, but the collection has reached the size where it is easy to lose sight of its scope, and it's been really fun reacquainting myself with the contents of the various drawers and boxes. It's caused me to reevaluate my priority list of the things that I wanted to have painted sooner rather than later. I find this especially amusing in light of the coming onslaught of the Bones, Demons & Devils, and DeepWars KS deliveries that I'll be receiving over the next couple months. Those will add no less than 600 more figures to the fold.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. When was the last time you really went through your collection?

~v

• Like 4

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for some time. Every time I open a drawer I'm astonished at what I find. Especially in the last couple of years, when my partha buying went through the roof. Just this morning when getting ready to mail my exchange mini I bumped into the paint rack and some blisters fell off.

I picked one up, stared at it, and then said out loud: "I have a Rakshasa?"

Picked up another. "Bullywugs? When did I buy Bullywugs?"

Don't remember. Even worse, last week I was browsing my ancient 1994 RAFM catalog and thinking "You know, I should buy some of these."

Completely forgetting that I'd bought them all already when I did my huge custom order.

• Like 2

I go through bits of my mini collection at a time. Usually it's along the lines of "what was in this box again?" or "was this the drawer I put my old Grenadier dragons in?"

Then I usually spend a couple of hours going through whatever it was I actually found. Sometimes moving some of the minis that caught my fancy into another location so I won't forget about them... But of course I do. At least until the next time I wonder what's in that box or that drawer.

It's all a vicious unpainted circle really.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 2

I have a pretty good idea of my whole collection as I've been collecting for only 2 years now, and I did go through everything after gencon last year. That being said I know I probably have a handful of stuff that I've forgotten about as they were just thing to get orders up to the free shipping amount on reapers site.

• Like 1

I have a pretty good idea of my whole collection as I've been collecting for only 2 years now, and I did go through everything after gencon last year. That being said I know I probably have a handful of stuff that I've forgotten about as they were just thing to get orders up to the free shipping amount on reapers site.

Yeah, Free Shipping Minis are a whole different category of "I don't know what I have".

I had a handful of miniatures 'back in the day' when I was a kid and messed around with minis painting. My minis collection got jumped into overdrive with D&D Miniatures back in 2003 when I started back into DnD. DDM had a side effect of making me start 'touching up' and customizing paintjobs (maybe 3-5 per year). I whittled down my DDM collection years ago, but I still have thousands for use at the game table. My collection of custome painted miniatures has grown exponentially since December 2011 when I got serious about miniature painting. My horde of metal and Bones minis has garnered 'attention' from the wife unit...boy is she in for a treat come March!

• Like 3

Funny that you mention it Shakandara, I was contemplating going through my collection a few days ago. I did write up an inventory list about 7 or 8 years ago. Of course this was before Rackham went down the tubes and Confrontation minis became affordable for me. I picked up at least 100 more that were definitely worth the coin I paid. I think I'm up to 800 or so individual miniatures now and It's definitely time to make another inventory list.

• Like 1

I've been at this for a long time. My first actual mini was a gift in the form of a pewter figurine from a mall somewhere. Haven't seen it in a very long time. It was simple wizard with a pointy hat. My sister got glass figurines and I got pewter. I think Mom thought I would destroy the glass ones too quickly.

In middle and high school I collected as many figures as I could get my hands on locally. It was the 80s and all I had were model train shops and whatever was in a Waldenbooks or similar.

I've moved many times over the years since. Moved out of the house in college. Moved in with my girlfriend at the same time. Space was limited. I was into painting but not hugely so things were set aside.

Had my son, moved for the second time. Tried to create an office and work area. Never got back to it fully.

Had my daughter, moved again. Amazingly, I still played RPGs and such during this time and collected but never really had opportunities to paint much.

Bought our first house. Time to start getting serious. Built an office and work space. Started working on the collection. I had lots of sets. Dragonlance; Menzoberranzan (ex-wife's choice); even a Greek Mythology set with a cyclops, Hercules and what not. Lots of boxes of figures that had moved with me from place to place.

Still not much in the way of progress. Most of my stuff was stuffed in the boxes they had come in or even a loose wooden box (eeek).

After the divorce, moved in to a small house with the kids. Not much room. Then a better place and finally took over my childhood home. All the while painting sporadically.

So when I bought this house, I was adamant that I'd build a work bench and storage for it all and get back to it. I opened EVERY box and case and old bits of plastic "Tupperware" and went through it all.

I have stuff from the 70s all the way to a Reaper Bones Great Worm I just bought last summer.

It's somewhat demoralizing to see the hordes of unfinished figures stashed in divided cases now but that's better than loose in a wooden box.

Soon I will attempt to do a full inventory on Springpad preferably before the exactly 500 figures of Bones come. Alright about 10 of those are for other people but I like the exact figure I worked out after redoing my pledge management like 10 times. :)

And man the things I had forgotten I had.

• Old Ral Partha Elementals.
  • The pegasus with the broken wings that I filled in to make a horse.
  • The centaur from the Greek mythology box with a broken bow (recently repaired with a pin and some green stuff).
  • My buddy's really old Grenadier Owlbear which came from the three piece blister of things with the word bear in the name: Werebear, Owlbear, & Bugbear
  • Original D&D Trolls ... missed them ... we've killed those two trolls over a hundred times. Sometimes even as trolls.
  • A flying imp ... with a metal stand. Haven't tracked down his origins just yet but I will.
  • AND the starship Enterprise. Less than 2 inches long and with nacelles on the weakest struts ever.

A lot of really odd stuff and while giants are the forefront of my collection there are a lot of other creatures and PCs. I bought the Ral Partha two packs one year to pull out individuals for my buddies for the campaign we were doing. So I have a bunch of female heroes.

Even some plastic goblins to fill out a table during sessions (numbered G1-G24 with a paint marker).

About as eclectic a collection as there could be. You never know what monster you'll send at your players next.

And my god; the Battlemechs. I have at least a full battalion's worth of mechs.

It's amazing how a collection grows over the years and years. I'm 43, 44 in two months, and I received that first pewter mini at the ripe old age of 8. I think.

My kids own their own. Though they aren't avid collectors ... yet.

I marvel at the scope of my collection. Anyone's collection really. Something that is passionately procured over the years and while not always handled with care, still always cherished.

Right now, I am mostly reassembling, basing and repairing them all so that I can make them whole for their close ups and inventory them. They'll be white, gray or black primed as deemed fit or previously done.

--

A large portion of my life can be measured in lead, white metals and plastic. I hope it remains so.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 4

I have always faced budgetary constraints, so I only have a couple hundred, and almost none were fantasy until I discovered Reaper sometime around 2001.

Last time I repacked, about a month ago, I discovered I have a lot more Reptus than I thought. I really love the Reptus sculpts, especially the early Chaz Elliot ones.

There's an oldish Sci Fi line called Legions of Steel. I eBay it a lot, so I often discover packages in my mailbox with models I had forgotten I'd bought.

• Like 2

I actually got to the point with my DDM collecting that I'd buy 5 cases per set, keep a couple commons, couple uncommons and 1-2 rares and then sell or trade the rest off for more valuable figures. Over the years, I actually made several thousand dollars doing this so my collection was free. Plus I was able to buy ipods and other toys I wanted.

• Like 1

Ive gone through my collection over the last several years. the first few rounds were to find trade bait for the melt bin at reapercon, the last time was to finish things off. I tossed a bunch of old lead minis that I would never paint, so now Im down to a reasonable level... I think.

Im actually having a different problem now... where to put the painted ones... those cases from the kickstarter cant come fast enough :)

I moved my office upstairs last year so that the Small Units could each have their own room (cut the bedtime drama in HALF).

I've painted probably 1200 figures in the 5 years I'd been in that office.

It's amazing how moving that many models changes them from "My babies" to "All this crap".

• Like 6

Wow, you guys have tons (almost literally) of minis! :huh:

I haven't been collecting for long, about a year and a half with metal, and maybe 3 years with the plastic minis from WotC. We have maybe 150-200 of the plastic, and about 100 metal. My husband had a handful of old metal minis from various sources which he gave to me and said "here, practice and make these better!".

They're kept in various plastic drawers (the kind that are sold in the hardware section) and plastic craft boxes (the kind for beads, embroidery threads, and the like) with little bits of foam to cushion them. I love getting little bits of foam in my blister packs, hehe ^_^