• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Base coating the steel:

Anduriel_WIP_5.JPGAnduriel_WIP_6.JPG

Base coating the leather and skin:

Anduriel_WIP_7.JPGAnduriel_WIP_8.JPG

Edit: one thing I hope this helps is the back of the mini. Dearth of shots back there, lots of stuff. I could probably see that cylinder between his bedroll and scabbards as a vial, but I'm going with scroll case. Kind of stumped on the case-looking thing between the bedroll and his hair, so it's leather!

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 4

I'll start off with this statement: NMM is HARD.

Anduriel_WIP_13.JPGAnduriel_WIP_14.JPG

Apologies for the blurry pics as always, autofocus doesn't like these WIP pics. I usually take a few so one might come out in focus...

So there's the steel and gold NMM. Easily the most difficult technique I've tried, purely from a theoretical standpoint. I'm happy with a few spots (the gold bracers). For something of this level of complexity, I wish the instructions had three WIP pics of each area to be painted as well as a couple larger front/back shots of the completed minis. I was winging it for most of the mini with very little idea of what I was supposed to be doing.

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By XxZambiexX
      Just finished both learn to paint kits. First minis I've ever painted, pretty stoked how they turned out. I did take a couple experimental liberties just to see what happened. What do you guys think? 

• By WhiteWulfe
      I've had these pics on my camera for a few days, and keep forgetting to upload them...  Keep getting distracted by other projects, but nothing wrong with that I say...  ^_^;;;;;  These photos were taken using my previous way of doing things, and I definitely prefer the "newer" way even if it means a bit more work up front, but there's less editing, and my kit lens is a LOT easier to work with for such up close pictures.  Kind of can't wait to get that Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro that's on my wishlist, but right now it's a debate between miniature supplies and camera gear, and the camera gear isn't currently on sale, plus we really could use a wider selection of paints in the house, so..... 

Ingrid was definitely an....  Interesting challenge to paint, to say the least.  She has a great deal of smaller details to her, aaaaaand she's pint shot glass sized, which adds to things.  Interestingly enough, the biggest issue I kept running into was with her gloves, boots, and especially belt.  Cloak also gave some issues, even having me somewhat frustrated at first that my initial shadow layer looked a LOT like vertical red and black stripes, I kept it as it was, and added additional layers on, which seems to have partially corrected itself, but looking at the photos, at the right angles it... Still kind of shows that way.  Oh well, we learn as we go, right?

This was also the first mini that I attempted something resembling eyes, and I did my best to have it look like she was looking right at the gem itself.  It took a few tries, but I managed to get some sort of hazel-brown eye going, although with just the one colour hazel eyes have (not the brown-green mix).

• By WhiteWulfe
      Couldn't resist the silly-ish title - it was originally going to be "Novice Painter, versus LTPK:Core!" but I changed it a touch at the end..  Bonus points if you read that as the Innkeeper from Hearthstone. :P 

While I have painted miniatures in the past, I've first and foremost never shown such results to anyone, and secondly went in blindly with those ones, and while I was happy with them at the time, I wanted to improve.  Other things in life took over for a while, and then finally I said that's it, I'm either going to FINALLY paint my primered army of doom that was at Doom In June 2005 or I'm going to sell the minis I've had sitting in boxes for over a decade.  So glad I found out about the Learn to Paint Kits, because that pretty much solidified that decision right then and there :P

Anyways!  At some point we were all at this stage, and while looking over the pictures I can see a number of things I can improve on (*cough* like my up close photography skills *cough*), but for most things...  I'm happy with them.  Especially the chain mail on the Orc Marauder.  I just might have to retake some of these photos, because I realize looking at them that, uhm, first and foremost f1.7 blurs half the model, and secondly, I didn't get a shot of the backside of the Marauder's Shield, which I was also happy about.  Oops.

But before I ramble on for three pages......!

Drybrushing feels sooooo weird, but it was starting to click once I got to Magnu, even if I wound up overdoing it in a few areas and it so wasn't a dry effect anymore.  But that's life, we learn from our actions!
    • By Sophie was taken
      Learn to Paint Kit 3:
      When these kits were still being sold, it was suggested that this one be attempted last, even though it is #3. So now, having done the rest, it’s time to get down to business. 

Look at all these paints! There’s even a bottle of the brush-on sealer that everyone keeps taking about. I’m excited! Fresh brushes too!

The minis are Anduriel Brightflame, Elven Warrior and Tyden, Female Barbarian. A bit of flashing and some non-Euclidean geometry happening to their weapons, but that’s nothing unusual. I’m impressed by the details on these minis, Anduriel in particular has a lot going on.

Now to take a look at the instructions, see what this Non-Metallic Metal is all about.

Oh.

Okay. I see why it was recommended to wait on this one. Did I say excited? I meant terrified.

Ah well, no sense delaying the inevitable, time to prep and practice. I hope it’s interesting at least.
    • By WhatsEcstacy
      I painted my last figure from the Learn to Paint Kit: Core Skills. I'm thinking i'll order the next kit to work on layering. I found this figure a little tricky because I used so much of the metallic paint. I'm happy overall with how it turned out. My favorite spots are the blue fabric in the back and the shield. Can't wait for the next set of figures to come in. It's exciting to already see how far I've come and how much I've learned from painting my first mini. C&C welcome, I'm always looking for ways to improve! Thanks for checking him out.

~WhatsEcstacy
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)