Just placed my first order of green stuff

bblythe84

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there's a tutorial here for making your own tools. Also, I got a set of these, which seem to work pretty well. Otherwise, I use my old ceramic scuplting tools. I recommend hitting up your dentist the next time you go in the see if you can get old dental tools- they're awesome. there's also a link in the forum where Gene mentions his tool sources... ah, here.

If you have a model train show with vendors near you, it might be worthwhile to drop by and look at the tool sellers' booths. I found quite a few very nice different sculpting tools the last time I visited one here.

It didn't hurt that the local train show lets Boy Scouts in for free and runs a one-day merit badge program for Railroading. Great tools, time with my son doing something both fun and productive, and no admission surcharge.

• Like 1

Looks like you lucked out Doug, and of course the base is only the beginning most likely for my green stuffing. I know I will need a cutter and things to push the stuff I was actually looking at a dissection kit and it looked like it might have everything I needed to get started and they have it at my college bookstore. The biggest thing so far with green stuff for me will be ordering it online all the time (or my local gaming store who has messed up every special order I have made there).

Well it is offically on its way here, but I was wondering other than makeing bases and sculpting what else can you and do you use the green stuff for?

Other than making bases and sculpting some weapons, thus far I've only ventured into the realm of eliminating mold lines when I have to glue or pin a joint. The Khong-To I recently posted pics of required some green stuff in multiple places during the assembly process; I distinctly remember where the shoulder spikes connected with the pauldrons and where the head joined with the neck. It was great b/c I got to smooth out the metal and then got to play with scultping little scales to make it as seamless as possible.

My biggest recommendation starting out is, don't focus too closely on the minutiae. You'll find that after you've primed and then painted multiple layers of color, and then a couple layers of sealer onto your miniature that the 'inexperience' of using green stuff tends to disappear.

You can make anything you want! I'm a fan of trees. If you're going to sculpt something larger, use a wire armature/frame, otherwise the green stuff tends to sag. Also, if you mix up more than you need you can put it in the freezer while your thinking and it won't cure.

Yeah, every time somebody drops a ceramic knicknack or something gets chipped, I get called to break out the greenstuff - I've also used it in place of spackle when covering over larger holes in walls as well.

(I actually learned a lot of my color-mixing skills matching chipped paint, lol)

One thing I find infinitely helpful is: Anytime you mix up some greenstuff you will end up having some left over when you're done, so make something out of it - a rock, a tree branch, a snake, a partial skeleton sticking up out of the ground... Use up whatever you have left over for practice rather than tossing it. Sooner or later, you'll not only end up improving your skills but also end up with a little box o' bits you can pick through to add details to your bases or possibly even to the minis themselves.

Edited by Mad Jack

what else can you and do you use the green stuff for?

So far, in my fairly short time in this hobby, I've fashioned tiny wine bottles, little mushrooms, flames, a cobblestone floor, a brick floor, a torch, a moustache... yeah I think that's about it so far.

what else can you and do you use the green stuff for?

So far, in my fairly short time in this hobby, I've fashioned tiny wine bottles, little mushrooms, flames, a cobblestone floor, a brick floor, a torch, a moustache... yeah I think that's about it so far.

LOL a moustache, for yet another question this time about how to sculpt the stuff I dont wanna go ok now I need to do x when it would ruin the look or whatever I would like general advice and perhaps some spesifics on say stone scales and fur.