Stonehaven Troll =(

redambrosia

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Makes you wonder why the produced so many as they knew what the order number would be from backers.

They never said. However I'm guessing that production demands of the resin caster meant that either they had to place their order in early, before they got the kickstarter survey results, and were over optimistic in their guessing of how many backers would want one OR the resin caster had a minimum quantity requirement for ordering.

They've been feeling out some of their backers for feedback. I was one. My own suggestion, and I've no idea what StoneHaven will actually end up doing, is that they should offer the existing stock, while the quantities last, on their current and future kickstarters only! Make it clear that no more will be produced to fill demand, it's first come first served with all orders being filled with the existing stock that Stonehaven has sitting in their warehouse/garage/living room.

I also suggested that perhaps they could also offer it at any conventions that they happen to attend.

I wan't in the group that was asked but I like the option of adding it to future Kickstarters because then it's still a KS only option. It isn't exclusive to the dwarf set but it's a goodie for those who back their projects.

I don't like the option of offering it at conventions. Attending a convention isn't nearly the same as putting up the funds for them to get new projects off the ground.

I can sympathize with having money tied up in inventory that isn't moving but at least mine is in metal so I can trade it back to the caster if I decide to remove the project. They don't have that option with resin and need to find an "acceptable" method to get their investment back.

• Like 2

As a backer, with a troll, I could care less as I'm not a fan of limited exclusivity. It's cool when you have it and sucks when you don't-- though most people that are upset when there are more reprints are those that just want to sell them on ebay.

Edited by MonkeySloth

Okay, here's the thing. I do have a little bit of insider knowledge about the troll that I've chosen not to share on the kickstarter comments page because Stonehaven hasn't made a final decision yet and I didn't want to raise anyone's hopes or get anyone angry.

But since we're usually able to play nice, I'll share it here... And with all the lurkers I guess.

Stonehaven is still sitting with a fairly large number of unsold trolls from the first kickstarter production run. It represents a significant amount of dollars tied up in inventory that they haven't been able to sell because of their promise of it being a kickstarter exclusive. Obviously this is not a good position for a new startup company to be in.

They've been feeling out some of their backers for feedback. I was one. My own suggestion, and I've no idea what StoneHaven will actually end up doing, is that they should offer the existing stock, while the quantities last, on their current and future kickstarters only! Make it clear that no more will be produced to fill demand, it's first come first served with all orders being filled with the existing stock that Stonehaven has sitting in their warehouse/garage/living room.

I also suggested that perhaps they could also offer it at any conventions that they happen to attend.

So long story short. Maybe there'll be trolls available, maybe there won't. We'll have to wait and see.

Thank you ::): I won't get my hopes up too high, but this is reassuring. I looked on ebay for the troll and the only one sold was for 41 pounds. I like him, but not that much <_<

I can understand that it was better to have too many than too few.

I also don't mind if it is offered as a Kickstarter special. I don't even mind if it is offered as a convention special. Fewer people go to conventions than you might think, out of all fandom.

What I'm wondering is, how to deal with it.

This is my first resin mini. It has big y-shapes under the feet and otherwise needs a little bit of clean up.

I take it that resin dust is quite toxic. While I have and will use a good respirator, I think I will take the suggestion of working on it wet to keep dust down. Meanwhile ... how do I do that? I have a large xacto knife, but this material is pretty hard. I also have wet-dry sandpaper. Should I get a tiny saw? I also have a pin vise which is brand new and I've never used one before. Would it be a good idea to pin the creature's feet to its base? Should I remove those y-shapes? Can anyone recommend a helpful thread?

I'm so new at this.

I took the Ys off of the feet by paring it down. Just took my ol' x-acto knife and would sheer off thin layers/chunks until I had it down to a small nub. Then I sanded it down, from there. It was a bit rough, a tiny bit nerve-wracking (I fear breaking things), but it didn't take very long.

• Like 1

Paring with a hobby knife will work, be careful and cut away from yourself.

I recommend getting a razor saw along the lines of those shown here.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=55600&cat=1,42884

Both sizes come in handy for our hobby.. The ultra thin razor saw is especially useful for miniatures.

Resin dust is a concern. So when sanding or sawing wear the proper gear.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 1