Your problems with kickstarter?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I have to admit a Torch-Wielding Troll-o-rama sounds like quite an interesting idea for a miniatures vignette.

Aside from that, was a bit annoyed at seeing USPS up it's international rates over the last few years. Fortunately, for many lines I'm interested in, there's good UK stockists. (Some of the German web shops are pretty amazing, too; unfortunately, Deutsche Post are robber barons.)

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to shipping.

I live right on the Canada-US border (Niagara Falls).

This affords me the opportunity to rent a US post office box. Their box rates jumped significantly this year (from $60 to $76) but they also added some new services which are fantastic. The money I pay for my PO Box is more than recovered in the savings on shipping. In fact, many times I save 100% on shipping as many things online offer free shipping to (or within) the US.

I'm pretty lucky when it comes to shipping.

I live right on the Canada-US border (Niagara Falls).

This affords me the opportunity to rent a US post office box. Their box rates jumped significantly this year (from $60 to $76) but they also added some new services which are fantastic. The money I pay for my PO Box is more than recovered in the savings on shipping. In fact, many times I save 100% on shipping as many things online offer free shipping to (or within) the US.

I've been curious about US PO Boxes myself, as I live very near the border in the Vancouver Lower Mainland area. While the distance isn't very far the time involved in crossing the border can be ridiculously silly. That and the fact I had thought that not all companies accepted a PO Box as a delivery address. I hadn't realized about the box rates price though. That would certainly have been a savings over the delivery charges I have paid for things both from online stores and from kickstarter projects this past year.

Do you find that you're often stopped to pay duty/customs when crossing the border?

I agree the border wait times can make one go :blink:. I don't know what it's like in Vancouver but in Niagara Falls it's totally insane. There are ways ways to mitigate the problem though like keeping tabs on traffic conditions and learning when the slow times normally occur.

It's true; not all shippers accept a P.O. Box address. However, one of the new services I mentioned is that USPS will now accept courier deliveries on your behalf. You just have to change up the address a bit. For example if I'm having something sent by USPS I have it sent to

Dan Goodchild

P.O. Box ####

Niagara Falls, NY 14302

But, if the shipper specifies no P.O. Boxes or I know they're sending by courier then I have it sent to

Dan Goodchild

615 Main St. Unit ####

Niagara Falls, NY 14302

In this case 615 Main St. is the street address of the Post Office at which my P.O. Box is rented and #### is my box number.

I get stopped to pay duty/HST occasionally but unless it's something really expensive they usually just wave me though.

Pro tips: get the smallest size box available. If your package doesn't fit in the box they just keep it in the back and put a slip in your box to let you know something's there for you. Also, if you recieve something for someone else make sure they put your name on the package or else the Post Office might refuse it. I usually tell people to put their name C/O my name and that works perfectly.

I've had my box for over 10 years and it's been worth it every year.

• Like 1

I've been curious about US PO Boxes myself, as I live very near the border in the Vancouver Lower Mainland area. While the distance isn't very far the time involved in crossing the border can be ridiculously silly. That and the fact I had thought that not all companies accepted a PO Box as a delivery address. I hadn't realized about the box rates price though. That would certainly have been a savings over the delivery charges I have paid for things both from online stores and from kickstarter projects this past year.

Do you find that you're often stopped to pay duty/customs when crossing the border?

For the wait times, get yourself a nexus card and it becomes pretty painless, most of the time. ( http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html )

I can't help you with the duties since I always stay down there for over 48 hours and get the $800 of duty free goodness. I get pretty much everything I order online sent to my (American) in-laws, and then just pick it up when we visit. So much cheaper than shipping to Canada, and sometimes faster despite waiting for the next visit to pick it up.

There are a few different shipping houses you can use right across the border in Blaine. There's some in Point Roberts too, but I've heard you get extra scrutiny there since that's what the majority of visitors are crossing there for.

I've seen ones from Canada so I don't know how they got on. It's all US dollars though. Also UK is there now as well.

It's really hard. My partner is American, so I'm able to work around it, but it'd be nice not to have to go through major riggamorole to start a campaign.

Not trying to point out the obvious, but those Dwarves sculpt were done prior to the start of the kickstarter. There are still 11 men size more, 2 chariots, 2 cavalries, 2 monster infantries, 1 monster and 2 war beasts to cover. If it takes him 2 months (already excluded the month which amazon pays him) to make a mold from what is already available before the start of the kickstarter, there are legitimate reasons to concern that whether the kickstarter will ever be completed (at the same time he keep starting new kickstarters).

Edited by Redshylock

Not trying to point out the obvious, but those Dwarves sculpt were done prior to the start of the kickstarter.

To be fair, I do think two of those were sculpted post-Kickstarter (number three and five from the left in the picture posted by recruittons). That's my understanding at least, although I do agree with your general sentiment; there is a ton of stuff left to be made here.

Actually, what really kindled my worry about this project was update #16 where "this is where we are today" was accompanied by shots of basically only the greens that were part of the initial pitch for the Kickstarter (the remaining four minis in the picture above). This, coupled with statements of "we're still on track for a December delivery" felt very odd and didn't exactly inspire confidence. Later (update #18), it turned out that "still on schedule" actually meant that only the initial box set minis where meant to be sent in December, and that all the stretch goal stuff (monsters, chariots etc) would be sent out later in waves (this hadn't been mentioned before). Now I think we're back to a delivery of everything at once, and I believe the latest word was "shooting for a February delivery, but could be as late as April".

Anyway, I do think that a lot of the problems here might be mainly due to bad communications, but as I said, it hasn't inspired confidence (and hence my worry).

That actually leads to one thing that I find annoying about some Kickstarters, they don't update on the kickstarter page but expect you to go to their website to find out what is happening. I just want to go to one place, the place I pledged from, to find out what is happening. I have 10 kickstarters still to be fully fulfilled (some late, some, like Reaper, upcoming) and I don't want to go to 10 separate places to find out what is happening.

• Like 8

I thought it would be appropriate to post this here because so many are concerned about the Dwarf Gladiators project. Mick posted this on Facebook today. It's the first 6 dwarfs in resin. So at least there's something moving ::D:

The big problem with that is those are the same minis we saw before the KS even ended and there have been no new greens shown since then, and there are still over a dozen that haven't been seen yet.

I thought it would be appropriate to post this here because so many are concerned about the Dwarf Gladiators project. Mick posted this on Facebook today. It's the first 6 dwarfs in resin. So at least there's something moving ::D:

The big problem with that is those are the same minis we saw before the KS even ended and there have been no new greens shown since then, and there are still over a dozen that haven't been seen yet.

Well, there is a half finish slayer type gladiator green, but other than that we have no timetable, no survey, no confirmation to the PM, meanwhile the guy is starting kickstarter after kickstarter... I am not sure this guy is lazy, unorganized or a fraud, but no good could came out of any one of those.

Well, there is a half finish slayer type gladiator green, but other than that we have no timetable, no survey, no confirmation to the PM, meanwhile the guy is starting kickstarter after kickstarter... I am not sure this guy is lazy, unorganized or a fraud, but no good could came out of any one of those.

I just think they're very very disorganised and they don't see any problem with that. I get the impression that Mick sometimes sees us all us a giant, chilled-out gaming group and that nothing's especially urgent.

I do get frustrated by the seemingly endless stream of new greens or concepts that are randomly thrown up on the EFS facebook page, sometimes with no explanation of what they signify.

If you look at the Judge Dredd Kickstarter in comparison - they've commissioned, cast and delivered dozens of new figures in two months with dozens more right behind the first batch. Dwarf Gladiators and Low Life have managed a fraction of that, their comms have been much less frequent and comprehensive and I have no conviction whatsoever that delivering the kickstarters in question are high on the to-do lists.