Your problems with kickstarter?

Shogun

There have been a few somewhat popular kickstarters that I have not backed because I'd heard some bothersome things about the company and/or the people involved. Or that I could t find any info about them at all and they seemed to have no product to show, just questionable concepts.

Although I will admit to having broken my own rule with one kickstarter, so I'll see how that turns out.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It Came from the Stars: Bringing the Weird to Pathfinder RPG: Expected June 2012 - Way late. There have been recent updates, so I suppose I'll see this at some point.

Rappan Athuk: Expected Aug 2012 - On time!

Kaidan Campaign Setting (PFRPG): Expected Oct 2013 - Seems to be moving forward okay. I think he gave himself A LOT of lead time. This project isn't that big.

I haven't had many problems given that the listed dates are so ridiculous that I never treated then as anything but an absurd fantasy.

Planning fallacy is an easy trap even for experienced buisnesses to fall into. Some of these KS are a couple orders of magnitude larger than any project the owners have executed, so it is even a bigger trap for them.

• Like 2

I haven't had many problems given that the listed dates are so ridiculous that I never treated then as anything but an absurd fantasy.

Planning fallacy is an easy trap even for experienced buisnesses to fall into. Some of these KS are a couple orders of magnitude larger than any project the owners have executed, so it is even a bigger trap for them.

This is further compounded by the fact that these projects have a tendency to blow up beyond anything the creator ever dared to imagine, so even if they could have fulfilled the pledges at their goal, they are left unable to fulfill two or three times that quantity in time. Since the scales of these projects can vary wildly and unpredictably, an otherwise well-planned KS can fall behind schedule.

• Like 2

Sanael, yay artbooks. I have a bunch of Elmore's work in books and honestly he's ok but not a favorite. But BROM...oh yes, I really look forward to that one. Kind of wish I had bumped up to the better binding, I'm thinking they're doing a leather for it. Still...Brom is my copilot.

i am still waiting my Forum Badge and my paints :mellow:

i hope the bones shipping is equally for all and not that US customers first that tried to do with the paints :angry:

But it is hard to ship stuff to Moria what with the Balrog and all. And who the hell can ever remember that password?

• Like 1

• Like 1

After Bones from Reaper, I've done three others.

The first was the Shadowrun Online video game. Which has had a minor setback due to the trio working in concert. They were upfront and told us right away. The time frame jump is significant; May beta moved forward to November. And sadly we've come to expect this behavior from video game companies. However, they have sent us an initial survey and an option to change out some rewards.

The next was just a neat idea I heard on here of a standard playing deck of cards with monsters for images. I can think of a bunch of things to do with them other than just play poker, euchre or whatever. Gary's been pretty on top of his updates. I have some reservations considering they are doing multiple projects at once but I am sure he'll allay those as well. That's due to be shipped in March as well and I ordered two decks. Can't play Creature Canasta with one deck after all.

The last one I put in for was the The Official Settlers of Catan Gaming Board. I didn't get the wood board (shipped in part before Christmas) or any of the other fancy smancy boards. I bought in for the card trays. Since the trays were an add on to the kickstarter I fully expect them to be delayed from the June delivery date. The family and I play this game most Friday nights. We have house rules, actual cards we made for home brew World Rules, and altered uses of pieces and even a new piece (Capitol). We made two extra sets of playing pieces for a total of 8 players. So there are a lot of resource cards and the trays will come in handy.

In all, I haven't really had any issues with Kickstarter though I have read and reviewed some of the ones mentioned or posted elsewhere. I am not a fan of the indiegogo setup so I haven't seen anything that would get me to jump on one.

To be honest, the Bones Kickstarter was amazing. It was an event that had me checking my computer, my phone and my Kindle right up to the last minute and beyond. I loved the artwork the stuff for kickstarter was well made and really fun. Like an old school map. I am going to print out Mr. Bones' completed trail and hang it next to all the bones on the rack I have. And I haven't decided what F5 Sophie I item will be purchased.

Idea: the next Sophie should be her sitting on a large F5 key. Looking tired but satisfied.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 1

I'm one of the more prolific Kickstarter backers here, along with recruittons and several others, at about 40. Only a few have concerned me or still do. I have no problem with projects that are late, things happen, as long as there's communication to us, the investors.

First Kickstarter I backed, back in 2011, Chronicles of the Void is an RPG that is over a year late and looks looks like it will be arriving this summer (so about 2 years after it funded). My complaint is there's no real communication about what's going on unless you get on their forums (which has been abandoned this past winter) but they only do Kickstarter related updates about every 3-4 months with a few times being at least 6 months apart. Even if this game is amazing I won't be backing anything from these guys as they don't feel obligated to keep us in the loop. Everything looks top quality too--which is a shame.

Far West RPG was the third one I backed (around the same time as Chronicles) and it's had many of the same problems, mainly "it takes way longer to put out a quality RPG then planned". They also had the same communications problems but have really stepped up in the past 2 months doing weekly updates which is awesome and makes me like them more. Still a year delayed.

Bushido Ito Clan. Love these sculpts and the look of the game but they only bothered to comment on things about every 2-3 months and really dropped the ball there. Really happy with the product though.

Ages Past. Yet another RPG from summer of 2011. No communication since September and their forums have been dead since then too. I may never get this one which is sad because he started out really strong and did a lot of updates of rules and such.

Weird West Miniatures from Indigogo. This was from summer of 2012 and I backed to help someone start up a company and then they just kind of fell off the map. The figures are finally coming out, after much prodding on Facebook from me, because he sold everything to another company. Guess he just couldn't get it out otherwise.

Some of the more pleasant experiences were the Schlock Mercenary Boardgame (received), Deepwars (received), Adventurer Conqueror King (received), Tectonic Craft (outstanding), Curse the darkness (received), Stonehaven (recieved), Esteren (received), Children of fire (got it 2 weeks after funding because he just needed to pay for printing), Bombshell (outstanding), Renascence buildings (outstanding).

Reaper is an average as they only update about once a month or less. You need to have more the once a month to be pleasant and less then every two months to annoy me and there are several I'm in that are too new for me to judge or are just average so I didn't list them.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 1

@MonkeySloth: I didn't know you were a curse the darkness backer! That was such a great project, and although the companion got pushed back a good ways, I'm not worried about it. The game itself is really good and the setting is amazing. Once the companion comes out and I can just use whitewolf's Storytelling system, I think I'll be able to get people to play easier, as well.

Esteren is another project that really surprised me with speed and quality. My book is positively amazing and I love just thumbing through to see the art. I even have some of the prints framed on my wall!

The issue with Esteren is it was allready written and, I believe, printed so it was a pre-sale--I know the limited editions were allready printed. Most of the stuff in the second one was the free stuff from the first on that was done in PDF only and I think it was in print allready by the time the second one went live because they had a quick turn around from china. It's a well done game but Kickstarter has just been marketing for them and raising funds to write the next thing as the one in the KS is always done.

I did meet the guys at Gencon and they've very nice, but aren't super fluent in English, even got a custom painting in my book.

I haven't read though Curse the Darkness yet but it does look fun.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 1