RBG Halfbloods

Bluesabre

Okay, I have actually found some time to do some painting amidst playing SWtoR and building Lego Lotr/SW stuff :D

Here we have the full set of Halfbloods that Tre has done for his Red Box Games:

Fritjof the Fierce.
047_zpsa48285af.jpg

Gregor the Crooked.
049_zps8630c80f.jpg

Greta the Pious.
051_zpsd6511a7e.jpg

Sverreulf the Red-Handed.
054_zps69d626bb.jpg

Bruiser Gus.
057_zps446b7fd8.jpg

TwoBears Keeper of the Speaking Stones.
059_zps6b38afb5.jpg

And lastly an Inquisitor from GW, for my long suffering Grey Knights project.
045_zps6ff2601c.jpg

So, next on the RBG painting scene will be a bunch of metal Helsvakt and some shamblers, even a big wooluf!
But before I get too them, I must finish off 12 Imperial Guard Storm Troopers and a regiment of Mantic Skeletons.

Stay tuned for more stuff eventually ;D

• Like 10

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work.

Why paint the shadows around the heraldry on the shields?

Stylistic I suppose, just makes them stand out a bit more to my liking, I guess its from painting miniatures that have raised embossing/heraldry on their shields (GW and Reaper).

Nice work.

Why paint the shadows around the heraldry on the shields?

Stylistic I suppose, just makes them stand out a bit more to my liking, I guess its from painting miniatures that have raised embossing/heraldry on their shields (GW and Reaper).

If you look at modern heraldic art, it's normally painted with internal highlighting and shadows to give it an appearance of depth. I think it works pretty well to do that on a figure as well.

I love the way you shade skin. I am never bold enough to use such contrasting colors...got to get over that!

I need to get back to doing that now that I'm almost through the L2PKs. I did it to good effect on my second mini, the Firebrand Drone and it was a decent accent on my Ogre Chieftain, on him I used a pretty vibrant light green/blue that scared me considering his skin was pinkish.

Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated.

@Patrik Strom: The white on Gregor is just done with GW paints. Dheneb Stone is the base, the shading is done with Charadon Granite, and the highlights are Pale Flesh, simple three layer technique.

@bmjoines: The skin tones on all of them are worked up from VGC Dark Fleshtone, with vrying amounts of Mouldy Green, or Goblin green mixed in each layer. On four of them I used a purple wash after the second layer, then added a couple more layers after that. I figured purple would work okay with the red/green coulours being used.

As for the free hand, it's really easy if you have a flat surface to play with and just keep your designs simple, the design on Greta's shield was simply copying the holy symbol hanging off her belt, and using the layering method to apply colours, if you make a mistake, just touchit up with base colour that the design is placed on.

I used to be worried about doing free hand stuff, the realised "what the hell, just give it a go, I'm not trying to do display quality stuff anyway" Here's some other examples using what I described above:

DEColdOnesBanner1.jpgDEColdOnesBanner2.jpg

SpearStandard.jpg

DEPCorsairBanner1.jpgDEPCorsairBanner2.jpg

DEBattlestandard.jpg

All from my large GW Dark Elf army, done a couple of years back.

• Like 1