RPGstandard contests idea/discussion thread

Some if you may know that we have been holding miniature painting contests and terrain /diorama contests. The amount of interest showed in the contests has been low, and we aim to change this. What we would like to know is how can we make our contests more readily accessible to everybody?

One of the key elements that I have discussed in the past is that every entry gets judged based on quality , creativeness and extra points are achieved by sticking to the theme, neglecting the theme may cost you some points but beyond that we do not penalize you for it.

The points hold a value ( which we have not yet determined) and can be traded in for items in our web store once it is operational. So regardless of your painting skill there is an obvious incentive for everyone to take part in our contests.

What we would like from the community is an idea of how long we should make each contest last? Ideas on themes and wether or not we should continue with theme based contests? What types of prizes would you like to see?

If Reaper is willing to pitch in for prizes that would be awesome too, if anybody knows the specifics regarding getting reaper involved in these types of contests please chime in.

+1 if Reaperbryan does the chiming in :)

Anyway, we look forward to everybody's input.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Themed Terrain Building contests are held monthly over on http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/ a UK site dedicated to building scale model terrain. Most contributors build things for war games or roleplaying games.

Participation fluctuates. Even with 7 weeks or so to build. Maximum recorded participation was 16-20 entries. 5 is more typical.

(The format used is: a contest begins each month, it runs two months, there are about six days for site members to vote, then the new theme for the next contest is selected by whoever placed first. Because of the time allotted to voting there are really about seven weeks to build something. When it is up and running there are always two contest going at the same time due to the overlap.)

What have been the themes and time frames of the prior RPGames contests? (I missed / failed to notice all but the latest one. A succinct review could be helpful.)

On this last one I could not think of a good way to jump in. Necroplis/Vampire Counts/Tomb Kings/Nefsokar are just not my cup of tea and I have very few suitable minis for a theme like Undead.

The short working space (48hrs) combined with the 'Shotgun Start' makes it more of a challenge than it might need to be. (It took me about 72 hours to mentally sift through my collection to come up with an idea. See next:)

I belatedly thought of something I could have tried. I have this guy: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/ghost%20king/sku-down/02991 (somewhere) and I have some of those Skull Encrusted Ruins from a GW plastic kit that would have made a suitable backdrop. It still would have been a rush job.

2cp

• Like 1

Kit is my contact for prizes but that's just for the forum contests I run here. I'm not sure who you'd contact for off site contests but you can send Kit or Bryan a PM via the forum or email (the format is [email protected]).

I'm probably not the person to ask about what I'd want for contests since I don't enter them generally as I prefer this to be a relaxing hobby--there's a reason I was more then happy to take over running the forum contests--but if there's there's a contest that fits what I'm currently painting, or if it peaks my interest, I'll enter if it's a reasonable time frame.

Asking people what they're interested theme wise is a good way to go. If you don't want to have people starting early give a list of 2-3 themes so people can start thinking what they'd do for each several days ahead. Yes some people will be disappointed if their favorite off the list isn't the real one but I've learned what TGP stated above from my contests, which is people tend need 2-3 days to come up with something that excites them--it's not always the case, but it's something a lot of people do need. (also Iron Painter really fits the niche of complete surprise quick paint jobs really well)

Obviously having your site up with the common rules and reward structure will help as well.

Good Luck.

Edited by MonkeySloth

We are considering doing them as monthly contests. The contest themes I recall were "somebody you would find in a tavern" which had the best turnout I think, then it was "the anti-hero/heroine" a necromancer and pet" after that they started to drag a little bit , guessing maybe due to being so close to the holidays. There was a large diorama contest that drew very little interest which had no theme , and a mini painting contest in December that was " Norse mythological figure" which garnished no attention, but I didn't promote it as well as I could have. The latest 48 hour contest had 3 participants, we were trying 48 hours to see how it would work , but won't be doing that kind of time frame again for these type of contests, it was sort of meant to grab your attention and get you motivated to get something accomplished in a weekend more than it was to pump out a masterpiece, which even our other contests weren't really about showcasing the best painter , but more to get people involved when they other wise would not maybe due to lack of confidence in their own skill or any other reason.

That the entries of the other websites contests were as low as 5 does make me feel a little better since that's typically the range mine have recieved

I learned the hard way with dioramas that people really want at least two months to make one, got a lot of complaints about my 4 week time frame first time I had one as a category and stubbornly refused to change it thinking they weren't going to be super time consuming. We got some great entries, all things considered, but only about 4 total. For Halloween there was over two months and got a lot of entries.

48 hours are hard because so many people have other obligations so it's hard to drop everything, or not get sucked into anything, to work on a project. Maybe a week might be a good "quick, energetic" time frame.

Checked out the iron painter contest and its format seams interesting , though I'm not sure that would suit our cause since our aim is to get beginner painters involved and getting points so they can be confident of themselves. I'm thinking I may reconstruct the point system too, maybe something like achievements like "speedy painter" and things of that nature on top of the regular point scale, say you finish in the first 48 you get extra points of something along those lines. We may add new rules regarding dioramas as well, most likely though we will keep them a seperate so that people who want to do single minis don't have to try and compete with those that do dioramas

I paint so slow I'm trying to stay out of contests (quality notwithstanding!). I wouldn't be able to do a 48 hour contest at all.

I've got a lot of stuff lined up, so it's also tough to slot things in as I only work on one mini at a time. Next two are L2PK5, then two minis for the winter exchange, then I've really got to get to painting up some of the games I've been getting in.

So any time I put into a contest would push back actually painting up my game minis by weeks (usually takes me 2-4 weeks to paint a single mini). The games alone will take me months, most of this year will be painting Blood Bowl and Sedition Wars, really.

• Like 1

Keep in mind if your contest target is beginning painters, not all of us are very fast with the brush so speed contests are likely out I know I wouldent wanna do a 48 hour. I am however interested in the contests.

We will most likely be switching to a monthly contest to suit everyone's needs.

I paint so slow I'm trying to stay out of contests (quality notwithstanding!). I wouldn't be able to do a 48 hour contest at all.

I've got a lot of stuff lined up, so it's also tough to slot things in as I only work on one mini at a time. Next two are L2PK5, then two minis for the winter exchange, then I've really got to get to painting up some of the games I've been getting in.

So any time I put into a contest would push back actually painting up my game minis by weeks (usually takes me 2-4 weeks to paint a single mini). The games alone will take me months, most of this year will be painting Blood Bowl and Sedition Wars, really.

You could always enter a mini you were already planning on painting. The themes if we continue with them will be broad enough to allow for pretty much any mini

... What we would like to know is how can we make our contests more readily accessible to everybody?

... What we would like from the community is an idea of how long we should make each contest last? ...

I also think that if you want to attract more beginner painters you should consider giving more time. Some people paint a mini every week but most new comers need to learn the techniques. A month is just enough if one doesn't want to speed paint is entry. I think a three month open contest would be perfect since forum contests often overlaps with each other.

Edited by Metalchaos

3 months seams like an awful long time to run a single mini contest, that might be more in line with a diorama contest though. I'm not saying its not worth thinking about, it just seams like people would get bored with a contest that ran that long. Plus it would limit the potential points everyone could earn ( which isn't necessarily a bad thing for me since I'm basically paying for those points out if my own pocket). There are lots of things to consider and I don't want to limit our options until more people chime in with their opinions.

• Like 1

I think three months would be a bit long for a single mini contest month would be good. One of the things that keeps me from doing alot of contests is (other than my being a beginer) money I never seem to have enouph so if I see a cool contest that I would like to do but dont have a mini to paint for it then that kills my chance to participate. How to fix that there is no way thats entirely on me.

I think three months would be a bit long for a single mini contest month would be good. One of the things that keeps me from doing alot of contests is (other than my being a beginer) money I never seem to have enouph so if I see a cool contest that I would like to do but dont have a mini to paint for it then that kills my chance to participate. How to fix that there is no way thats entirely on me.

With all the new bones coming out, I'm sure that will help a bit.