RPGstandard contests idea/discussion thread

We are considering doing them as monthly contests....

That the entries of the other websites contests were as low as 5 does make me feel a little better ...

For something the same scope as the previous contest (one figure with some terrain/backdrop) I think a week would work. Run from 1800 hours on a Monday to the same time the next Monday (for instance).

Here is a link to the finished entries collection on TG: http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/competitions/index.php

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seams that alot of people require at least a month to complete a mini, initially I had though about doing them weekly, but not sure how well received that would wind up being.

Aside from timeframes, is there anything I can do to make this more accessible to beginning painters and pro painters alike, and everyone in between ? We have some ideas that were going over to do like an achievement based system, any thoughts on what you would like to see us implement there?

I think 2-4 weeks for a simple single paint-only mini contest is appropriate. I am not new to mini painting by any means butmstill not really fast either. Also, life tends to get in the way...work, gym,honey-do list, etc. and not all of us can paint every day. Maybe a sliding tine scale...single mini -2-4 weeks, multi-mini- 6-8 weeks, diaroma 2-3 months, etc. Maybe throw in a contest for scenic bases of different sizes as well (single mini- scenic base-1 month) might attract a wide variety of skills

Yeah, I definitely crave feedback.

One thing I'm feeling pretty strongly about is basing. I don't really do it yet, as I'm focused on improving my paint work. While I understand it's now a big part of the hobby (thanks granny wendy and your crappy slottabases), when I see judging based on basing for me it immediately causes me to lose interest. I'm probably the only person who feels like that, though :)

I'd rather see the stock base or a sculpted base than 90% of basing that's done.

/broken record but you asked for feedback, heh

Edited by CashWiley

Yeah, I have to admit, the video was a bit tough for me to digest. I don't keep sound hooked up to my main computer. It's only only my laptop, which I don't use to browse the forums and is off most of the time. If it were written out, I'd be more likely to actually participate because having to watch a video to get the rules is a barrier because then I have to use my phone or boot up my laptop to watch it.

• Like 1

Ahh! See, I didn't even check the about section. I didn't think to do so. I think if you were to cover it in the "About" section and then just refer us to it, that would go a long way. Unless I missed you referring to it. I'm sometimes quite oblivious and need things spelled out in LARGE CAPITAL LETTERS. Comes from being a father of 3, you end up tuning out all but the obvious in order to get anything done.

We've gotten the majority of the new rules all hammered out , and we've talked to Myrnnyx minis about helping us out doing feedback on people's entries. The contest will no longer be considered a contest, it's now a hobby challenge, and includes new rules regarding single minis vs dioramas. Whomever receives the most points from the session will be deemed the winner. Every entry is eligible for points based of of the quality and creativeness of their entry, but there are also ways to get bonus points, like by adhering to the theme(which is for extra points only, you can still enter anything and still get the regular points), best improved mini, and lots of other that equate to added percentages of you final score of points. Each point is worth so many cents, though we have not been able to crunch the numbers yet to tell you how many. The challenges will run the length of a month. We will be posting the new rules on our website as soon as we can.

If anybody has ideas for achievements we would like to hear them . We're up to a dozen so far .

Here is a link to the blog page of our website that outlines the new rules and the achievement system that we have been working on. Let us know what you think. The next challenge will begin on February 1st at midnight PST.

http://www.rpgstandard.com/apps/blog/show/23179761-rpgstandard-s-challenge-rules-and-guidelines