Game & Gears Pro Studio Kolinsky Sable brushes

Nocturne

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to jump in on the x2 set. Since I'm new to painting, I figure having four kolinsky sable (even if they are on the cheaper end) of each size for a good price is great as a starter set. Hopefully they will get *some* of my double vampire pledge painted without me ruining them!

Went in for the 3x, since the 2x sold out. I paint both at home and at lunch at work, so was looking at 2 sets at least. My wife may get the third set.

I've only ever used cheapy brushes, so even if they aren't at the W&N level, they've got to be an improvement over what I'm using now.

• Like 1

I snuck in on the early bird for a set. 15 pounds for 5 duel brushes is pretty good, even if the quality is not what I normally use. the ony thing is that I wish they sold sets of just 0,1,2. If the point is good, I don't find the need to go any smaller with my painting. I used to think I needed a bunch of brushes to get detail on my minis. However, after a the classes with Wren, Derek and Anne at Reapercon, I realized I just need a few good brushes that keep a point.

LOL, I feel like I'm giving a testimonial like you would see in a Jenny Craig commercial. "After having classes at ReaperCon, I lost 5 brush sizes in 3 weeks!"

I think the cold medication is affecting my mind!

• Like 4

I'm thinking that even if these aren't great, they'll be better than the crappy brushes I'm using now, and when they crap out I'll either be convinced and spend the cash to upgrade to W&Ns or I won't and I'll just get more cheap brushes.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but not necessarily.

Back when I was an art school student, shortly after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Russian art supplies hitherto unavailable flooded the market. Older painters had long lamented the long lost beautiful Russian sable paintbrushes unobtainable for decades, so we were prepared to try the new materials.

They were terrible. Everything was of really indifferent quality. The brushes may have been Russian kolinsky sable hair, but the glue was cheap, the hairs fell out, and the ferrules held but poorly to the handles.

I wish the best for this project, but things can happen.

They just told me in the comments for the latest update that they will be identical in quality to WNS7.

I'm willing to be surprised on this, but I find it a bit hard to believe.

I'm also with the little cernadian on size, I haven't used anything smaller than a 0 in the 7 months since I bought my WNS7s.