Game & Gears Pro Studio Kolinsky Sable brushes

Nocturne

Got in a few days ago but unfortunately missed the Early Bird. I'm in at the 25, which seems awfully steep considering I'll only use probably 3 of the brushes...but as I have been out of the hobby for close to 20 years and cannot find decent brushes near me, I figured what the heck. Double brushes = twice the use, plus blending. I'll stay with the KS unless I find a better deal, though I'm tempted to order the individual brushes on Amazon (I have Prime membership, no shippping charge). I will wait and see; if the stretch goals do more than reward folks who have pledged more than I have, then it might be more worth it.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in at the basic level, and am debating the stand. It's kickstarter, so I'm a little risk averse. I also ordered a W&N #7 size 2 to try before the pledging ends. I have a smattering of generic brushes, and most are synthetic. From the praise dolled out here to the W&N red sable wands, I'm anticipating that the they will paint minis themselves.

I'be come to trust the advice from fellow reaperians when it comes to stepping up to the next level. I'm hoping this kickstarter will ultimately save me some money and give me some tools that I don't have easy access to.

The feeling I get from this kickstarter is a mix between "desperate" and "overconfident." However, even if they deliver so-so brushes, I still think I'm getting a reasonable deal. As for the W&N... I was skeptical since it's not often you hear such effusive praise about a product unless people are biased. But I bought one and they're right. That thing is so much better than any of my other brushes it's not even funny.

• Like 3

Yeah for professionals who want/need the *best brush* I can see being hesitant on these guys. I've heard some people even find "duds" of the name brand ones and wont buy a brush without seeing it in-store. In my opinion though these are absolutely perfect for me. A huge amount of brushes that should be at least moderate quality for a good price. I'm a newbie with no brushes (other than my LTPK1 brushes, and that #2 flat is already toast from like 5 minis.) Plus I only want table-top quality anyway, I bought the vampire pledges specifically for D&D gaming. Honestly, I'm too ignorant to know if they live up to the hype or not when I get them. They will be better than what I have, (nothing!)

The top three, in my book, are DaVinci, Raphael and Winsor Newton (yes, in that order). Not all Kolinsky brushes are created equal so we will see where these brushes fall in that mix.

That's my order as well: I've not had good luck with different orders of Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes. They all seem to end up forking under moderate load.

The DaVinci's Maestro's have all been great, and I've even managed to get a couple of them to recover after being damaged in shipment from Dick Blick (because they lacked their plastic caps). The most seriously damaged one only has about 2/3's of its hairs remaining after trimming, but I thought that the most damaged ones in the recent batch were just trash, so I'm happy.

I'm very curious to see how well these Pro Studio brushes fall in the mix. I'm not expecting DaVinci quality, but somewhere near or above the quality of the Reaper ones would make me happy if I give into the temptation of getting some for my Beginner's Toolkit classes at GenCon.

Ron

If premium brushes worked exactly like cheap brushes but had their current longevity advantage, they would still be hugely better than cheap brushes. Since they also make painting much less painful, there's really no reason to buy the cheap stuff other than for paint-and-takes and the like, where you know they will be abused and taken.

Cheap brushes are too expensive to buy. Buy good brushes to save money (and because they also work better).

• Like 1

That short handle one looks nice. I wish I could afford the little samurai rack, that would look nice on the desk. And my desk is in need of looking nice!

I like the rack as well and almost pledged back in to buy one then realizes I've seen similar things before for way less. They weren't intended for brushes but that doesn't mean they couldn't be used for it. Going to have to take a trip down to HobbyLobby sometime as I swear thats where I've seen them.

• Members