Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
One step closer to having the full Dungeon Dwellers set finished! I tried a lot of different stuff here, most for the first time! Such as...
-Full NMM armor
-Freehand on cloak
-Painted highlights on liquid
-A unique gem in the shield (Watermelon Tourmaline)
-A tiny bit of OSL on the eyes
Let me show you my first tries at painting miniatures:
I went heavy with the dark wash but it was on purpose in order to have an effect "out of dirt".
Don't hesitate if you have any comments or tips!
The biggest model I've ever painted, I worked on it in sections and then assembled it onto the base when finished. I made very minor modifications to Kalarax herself, mostly inserting a lot of brass rods to support joints, and using hot water to bend the tail around onto the base (which is 25 cm square!) There was a lot more work on the base, using rocks, grit and sand to meld the Bones "ruined temple" into a larger scene with common elements from my Vampire army (see sig below)
You may know the story of why the model is so big - apparently a communications error meant that it is twice the size it was ever meant to be? Because of this, I removed odd-sized base details like huge skulls and dinner plate coins and replaced them with "in-scale" objects like dozens and dozens of resin skulls as seen in the close up.
My "huge bony miniature" recipe is:
One can of Army Painter Undead Bone spray paint
A big pot of GW Agrax Earthshade (or similar brown wash)
A pot of Citadel Dry Tyrant Skull
A large flat drybrush
Let the model to the work! You can also use this to paint large numbers of smaller skeletons, of course.
From the Mid 2000's attempt to revive the D&D Chainmail come this Battered Troll Skeleton which was the biggest mini in the Ahumut's Legion Faction box. He has been sitting unpainted for many years as I have found with many of the minis the D&D produced at the time they where a pain to assemble. In his case the full arm and no peg or post and his skull with a bit of the neck was its own part with a minuscule peg and post that did not fit right and would never be able to support the weight of the head. also with the base you had to hand cut the slot that you would tab him into which is the only time i have ever seen that on a mini base. So finally after adding metal post to his parts and getting him on a base I sat down and painted him.
He is your basic skeleton but I do like the little additions on the mini such as the splint holding the leg together and the leather wrap with a nail holding the arm in place as well as the plate bolted on to the chest. It give the mini a bit more character. After finishing him i wanted to work on basing which is a part of the process i tend to neglect so tryed my had at some mud texture paint and still trying to get decent at using static grass and tufts. think it turned out alright but can always use more practice.
Also interestingly enough he is about the same size as the 77004 Cave Troll. So its like a before and after diet pic
Who's Online 16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)