Sign in to follow this  
Hellbeard

Science Fiction Orbital Cavalry

In this thread I'll post about an experimental, speculative project about 28mm Science Fiction soldiers. These troopers are a sort of air cav/paratroopers but in space. The first part of the project was to figure out a design. I was mostly concerned with it having a coherent look that was practical and aesthetically pleasing.

As part of the design process I sculpted and painted this 1:35 scale prototype / design sketch.

2ZkkUFD.jpg

SA0ihLI.jpg

A5f2E3h.jpg

There are more details about the project on my Blog. Next I might do some sketching, start a couple of 28mm armatures, do another 1:35 sculpt or all of the above.

Comments, suggestions, questions and critiques (especially) will be met with deadly gratitude.

• Like 2

Awesome "sketch"! I love the concept. The idea of air-dropped troopers (from SPAAAAACE!) has me imagining that they might have gear that looks as if it collapses into slightly smaller forms for transport.

Now, I wish there were some way to just magically shrink that guy down to 32mm "heroic" Chronoscope scale. Even without a gun in hand, or other special gear, that figure strikes me as a great "base" figure that could be easily adapted to a number of roles with the addition of some "bitz" slung onto his back, etc.

Am I the only one--

... Science Fiction soldiers. These troopers are a sort of air cav/paratroopers but in space ...

... The idea of air-dropped troopers (from SPAAAAACE!) has me imagining ...

--that has ever READ Starship Troopers??? ---Robert A. Heinlein, 1959.

Awesome "sketch"! I love the concept. The idea of air-dropped troopers (from SPAAAAACE!) has me imagining that they might have gear that looks as if it collapses into slightly smaller forms for transport.

Now, I wish there were some way to just magically shrink that guy down to 32mm "heroic" Chronoscope scale. Even without a gun in hand, or other special gear, that figure strikes me as a great "base" figure that could be easily adapted to a number of roles with the addition of some "bitz" slung onto his back, etc.

Thank you! I also though about some "earlier" form with additional atmospheric shielding that falls off or some different armor for more inhospitable environments. Because I did not want them to be too bulky I decided they would be inserted via drop ship or pod rather than individual re entry.

I do intend to make them in 28mm-ish scale so there is a magic way - I'll sculpt smaller ones. With this get up the character is just the "base" as you wrote, good call. On it there will be additional gear, I wanted to be able to see the details of the basic kit so he doesn't have much on him.

If you were to produce the 1/35th scale figure, I would certainly buy.

Why thank you so much! I've never produced anything but I do like the 1:35 figure as it stands. If I ever do make some commercial headway with this project, and I hope I will, making some 1:35 figures is on the list.

Am I the only one--

... Science Fiction soldiers. These troopers are a sort of air cav/paratroopers but in space ...

I love that book. Heinlein is one of my favorite writers and Starship Troopers along with Puppet Masters are his two bestest creations in my view.

my sketches looks like this

Stick_figure.png

Good job!

Some 2D sketches. Trying to find a nice futuristic gun design. I was mostly inspired by Kriss Vector and XM-29. I also want to get more of a handle on the "look" of the units.

Although the idea is for the units to be for the use of the player in whatever system is their favorite I am imagining a sort of back story to help me figure things out. I don't think I've got the chops to come up with a completely new system of play but I think it would help to have at least some stats to help players use the units in the system they already enjoy. I'm thinking mainly about Tomorrow's War as where they'd fit best. Any other systems that could use these guys? What systems are allowing 3rd party miniatures in their play?

The setting for now, very unrefined yet, is that human civilization has colonized the solar system and was almost utterly destroyed by an intergalactic space faring alien race who then moved on. The remains of humanity are now fending off the myriad hostile aliens who feed off the table scraps of the destroyers. It might still change a lot but it's got an interesting theme to it.

TiT0oQv.jpg

4gBbvJk.jpg

jzpQVS8.jpg

There's quite a lot out there. If you really like building the stats of troops and want detailed build rules followed by fairly detailed combat, have a look at Defiance: Vital Ground. If you like building troops you'll find it's an addiction, and will also help you figure out and fill combat roles, more complex weapons, stuff like that. http://www.mj12games.com/defiance/

If you prefer to hit the table and start flinging dice, FUBAR. http://thegamesshed.wordpress.com/2010/06/17/fubar-one-page-sfmodern-rules/ It doesn't have a lot of chunky bites, crunch, or moving parts but it fits on one page.

There are older games like Dirtside, and newer games like uh... I'll dig up a link...

Some 2D sketches. Trying to find a nice futuristic gun design. I was mostly inspired by Kriss Vector and XM-29. I also want to get more of a handle on the "look" of the units.

Although the idea is for the units to be for the use of the player in whatever system is their favorite I am imagining a sort of back story to help me figure things out. I don't think I've got the chops to come up with a completely new system of play but I think it would help to have at least some stats to help players use the units in the system they already enjoy. I'm thinking mainly about Tomorrow's War as where they'd fit best. Any other systems that could use these guys? What systems are allowing 3rd party miniatures in their play?

The setting for now, very unrefined yet, is that human civilization has colonized the solar system and was almost utterly destroyed by an intergalactic space faring alien race who then moved on. The remains of humanity are now fending off the myriad hostile aliens who feed off the table scraps of the destroyers. It might still change a lot but it's got an interesting theme to it.

TiT0oQv.jpg

4gBbvJk.jpg

jzpQVS8.jpg

Nice 2D sketches. The gun is a little odd. Is it meant as a slug thrower or an beam weapon?

General comment: these three guys (counting the 3D prototype) don't look like 'dropped in from orbit troopers' to me. Unless they have discarded a bunch of kit by this point? Pressure suit, gravitic drogue, parachute, entry capsule, rocket pack, outer helm... ...all gone? scattered around the LZ?

Am I the only one--

I'm aware of Starship Troopers, yes.

@TGP (re: gun design): Looking at the weapon, I'm thinking it looks like it's basically two guns stuck together as one, with two separate ammo feeds. I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that this has two alternate types of ammunition, sort of an evolution of how you might have a grenade launcher under the barrel of an assault rifle? Perhaps the gun uses "flechette rounds" as its primary mode of fire, but has a magazine of explosive rounds as its secondary fire option, for instance.

Regards being dropped from orbit, I suppose it might help if there were a few "clips" built into the armor where straps for rocket packs or whatever could be attached (unless perhaps these troopers are riding "drop pods" into the action).

Nice 2D sketches. The gun is a little odd. Is it meant as a slug thrower or an beam weapon?

General comment: these three guys (counting the 3D prototype) don't look like 'dropped in from orbit troopers' to me. Unless they have discarded a bunch of kit by this point? Pressure suit, gravitic drogue, parachute, entry capsule, rocket pack, outer helm... ...all gone? scattered around the LZ?

Thanks for the comment. The gun is a "slug thrower" The bottom front half is a kinetic round, like a regular rifle but with some tech to make a short barrel be effective; the top is a grenade launcher/ smart munitions platform.

They ride in on a drop ship, I think. I didn't want to make too much shielding and armor so that they'll be too bulky. I think maybe they also have some kind of pod or extra shielding that they discard after they land.

I'm aware of Starship Troopers, yes.

@TGP (re: gun design): Looking at the weapon, I'm thinking it looks like it's basically two guns stuck together as one, with two separate ammo feeds. I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that this has two alternate types of ammunition, sort of an evolution of how you might have a grenade launcher under the barrel of an assault rifle? Perhaps the gun uses "flechette rounds" as its primary mode of fire, but has a magazine of explosive rounds as its secondary fire option, for instance.

Regards being dropped from orbit, I suppose it might help if there were a few "clips" built into the armor where straps for rocket packs or whatever could be attached (unless perhaps these troopers are riding "drop pods" into the action).

You nailed it on all counts. Check out the OICW XM29 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM29_OICW. It's an old future(now past) weapon prototype with a very similar configuration.

Edit: also, thanks so much SmokingWreckage those look swell!

Edited by Hellbeard

SmokingWreckage - take your time, I think what you wrote might be in Chinese.

Started a 1:35 prototype. The plan is for this to be the definitive design and to have it cast as part of the package should it ever see the light.

Pw1Mnsx.jpg

Ai4pZpW.jpg