Is ReaperCon right for me?

GuyWithCoolBackpack

Hi everyone, he said somewhat nervously.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to go to ReaperCon. I figure there's plenty of opinions around here to hopefully help me out. I am new to the painting scene and mostly just enjoy sitting down with a mini and painting it to the best of my ability which, given that I've got maybe 30 minis *total* under my belt, isn't that spectacular. I started by signing up for the Bones kickstarter, which was *amazing*, and decided I should figure some things out about painting minis before they showed up. What I discovered is that I really like it, I find the act of sitting down and very, very slowly working on something to make it just so is very relaxing to me. So with that in mind, here are some questions to hopefully help me figure out if I'll enjoy myself up there.

1) I'm mostly excited by the prospect of getting better at painting: taking some classes, learning some techniques and getting some practice. Are there a *lot* of different classes for me to take? Enough to fill up four days of con-ing? Will they help me get better?

2) I'm in Northwest Austin, and due to my new-ness to the scene, this is the only mini-painting convention I know about that's anywhere near me. Are there others I should know about? (Don't be afraid of driving me off...I can go to both.)

3) Is this a good place for a new person to just...show up? The pictures don't make the place look all that big, and I'm afraid I'll feel like I'm crashing an exclusive club if I don't know any people or anything about what's going on beforehand.

4) A technical question: Do I need to buy tickets for anyone to come in? If my wife wants merely to come in and find me, will she not get past the vicious door guards without a pass? if she does come in, will I need to get a ticket for our two-year-old? He's unlikely to take any classes. :)

5) Describe the Con' to me, if you have some time. What's it like, what's the vibe? What do people do there for 4 days?

Thanks again for the help, I'm excited by the potential, and just want to make sure I don't sign myself up for something that's not quite right for me. Oh, and Like I said, I'm from Northwest Austin, so if there are any fellow mini-painting enthusiasts that want to introduce yourselves, just say hi.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets put it this way:

I live over 1000 miles from Reapercon and i have only been once. It is killing me that I will not be able to go back this year.

Here is what you need to know:

The con is a very laid back atmosphere. I was made to feel welcome from the very moment I stepped in. If I wanted to get into a game I went up to one of the games around start time and asked if I could join in and they let me join. There were RPGs,games, and tours. Over the course of the day there were numerous classes. I took 3 and enjoyed all of them. Very hands on with a small class size. If you have ever been to a local con, then you know what to expect at Reapercon.

Go, you will not regret it.

You can fill all four days with different painting classes and not repeat any. I don't recommend that but it is possible to do it. It is small but don't worry about that, they pretty much let anyone in the door. If you wife has to come in a drag you out, that shouldn't be a problem. :devil:

There is a painting conference and competition at Genghis Con in Denver coming up next month (2/14-2/17). There might be something going on at OrcCon in LA on the same weekend. There are a number of other conventions that have painting classes that take place after ReaperCon.

Genghis Con features some instructors that you will see at ReaperCon as well; Michael Proctor and Jen Kaufman for sure.

Last year was my first year going to ReaperCon and I didn't know a single person. To ease myself into the "Reaper scene", I started posting on this forum and found it to be a very welcoming community. The convention did feel a bit like a family reunion but, after a day or so, I felt like one of the family. Also, I think that this year will be much larger than previous years due to the success of the Bones KickStarter. So, don't worry, you'll be fine.

As for classes, ReaperCon is fantastic. There are a variety of classes that are great for beginners to people who want to push their painting to the next level. I know that you are new to painting. Maybe look at taking some of the beginner classes that they posted to start. I would also suggest looking at the descriptions of the more advanced techniques that are being taught, Google them, and find out which ones interest you the most.

The only other piece of advice I can give you as a relative newbie myself is don't be afraid to have some free time at the convention. There are lots of games to get involved in, open painting and a bunch of new friends to make.

Hospitality is definitely bigger in Texas!

Hello!

1) I'm mostly excited by the prospect of getting better at painting: taking some classes, learning some techniques and getting some practice. Are there a *lot* of different classes for me to take? Enough to fill up four days of con-ing? Will they help me get better?

There is a posted list of classes. These classes will be distributed throughout the 4 days (probably daytime only) with probably 3-5 classes going on concurrently. Plenty to learn in class, but you'll probably want to limit yourself to 1-2 classes a day given overload.

There's also plenty to learn from just sitting down and painting with people.

2) I'm in Northwest Austin, and due to my new-ness to the scene, this is the only mini-painting convention I know about that's anywhere near me. Are there others I should know about? (Don't be afraid of driving me off...I can go to both.)

ReaperCon is the only mini-painting oriented con within easy driving distance. Reaper often attendes Millennium Con in Round Rock (November) with a Paint and Take, and I run a Paint and Take at OwlCon in February, but that's the extent of it as far as I know.

3) Is this a good place for a new person to just...show up? The pictures don't make the place look all that big, and I'm afraid I'll feel like I'm crashing an exclusive club if I don't know any people or anything about what's going on beforehand.

ReaperCon is more like a gathering of friends than anything else. Okay, it's becoming a fairly large gathering of friends in recent years and will be bigger this year, but people are generally very friendly and welcoming to newcomers.

4) A technical question: Do I need to buy tickets for anyone to come in? If my wife wants merely to come in and find me, will she not get past the vicious door guards without a pass? if she does come in, will I need to get a ticket for our two-year-old? He's unlikely to take any classes. :)

No, no tickets if she just wants to come in and find you.

5) Describe the Con' to me, if you have some time. What's it like, what's the vibe? What do people do there for 4 days?

As above, it's a gathering of friends. Nerdy friendly friend. Some a little stranger than others, some a little nerdier than others. But friends. Lots of laughter going on. Some established groups of old friends, but even these tend to be pretty welcoming.

Ron

Last year was my first year as well and I loved all the classes I took. There is a thread of the classes being offered this year but the times and dates have not been posted yet. Classes are an additional cost on top of the con ticket but I feel they are well worth it. After my expereience last year I could not wait for the next ReaperCon to get here!

Another convention that has mini painting classes, speed painting, and paint and take is GenCon in indianaplois,IN in August. I always go to it and have a great time with all the gaming and painting.

Other people have pretty much summed it up. Yes, it sounds like ReaperCon may be right for you.

Last year was my first year at ReaperCon, and I didn't know anybody there. I had taken a few painting classes at past Gencons, and I was trying to improve my painting (still am), so when I heard that Reaper had a dedicated all-miniatures-all-the-time convention, I was intrigued. I joined these forums to ask a few n00b questions about the con, but I didn't really get involved in the community. Even so, I found the event welcoming, educational, and a ton of fun.

As for needing tickets just to look around, I I asked if I needed one when I arrived for last year's "meat and greet" and the person I was talking to seemed to be honestly confused by the question. :;):

I'm trying to figure out if I want to go to ReaperCon. I figure there's plenty of opinions around here to hopefully help me out. I am new to the painting scene and mostly just enjoy sitting down with a mini and painting it to the best of my ability which, given that I've got maybe 30 minis *total* under my belt, isn't that spectacular. I started by signing up for the Bones kickstarter, which was *amazing*, and decided I should figure some things out about painting minis before they showed up. What I discovered is that I really like it, I find the act of sitting down and very, very slowly working on something to make it just so is very relaxing to me. So with that in mind, here are some questions to hopefully help me figure out if I'll enjoy myself up there.

Thanks again for the help, I'm excited by the potential, and just want to make sure I don't sign myself up for something that's not quite right for me. Oh, and Like I said, I'm from Northwest Austin, so if there are any fellow mini-painting enthusiasts that want to introduce yourselves, just say hi.

Hello and Welcome to the forum!

I, too, am from Austin. I enjoy ReaperCon for many reasons. Not simply because of the miniatures and painting, not simply because of the gaming and comraderie, but I enjoy because of the people. This forum community gets together and really takes the time to find your interests. I was introduced to many different aspects of the miniature world that is Reaper. Painting, roleplaying, tabletop wargaming, terraforming (thanks to last year's awesome terrain map), are all on feature there. ReaperCon is like a diamond. It has too many attractive facets not to call it a thing of beauty!

As far as other things, the hotels have been great. The on-site staff is awesome. Definitely get to the facility tour as they show you how minatures are made. Oh and lets not forget SonicMike!

If you have any other questions feel free to post them here or PM me. Us Austinites have to stick together!

Lue.

To answer #5: it's pretty casual and low key. The facility is a big warehouse/factory with a game store attached to it. There are tables set up for folks to sit down at and hang out or paint. LOTS of people do nothing else all weekend. There is an area where the pro painters and sculptors are set up to work when they are not teaching, and you can just go over to any of them and start asking stupid questions or just watch what they are working on. There will be games, both tabletop minis and RPGs of various sorts, some in a hotel a few miles away, but there will be a free shuttle if you want to go check it out.

You can shop the store, and you can shop the warehouse. There will also be a couple other small companies with tables set up that you can shop at. You can also take a tour and see how minis are made.

A list of classes has been posted and you should find plenty of variety. They are small (5 seats) and intense, so I don't recommend you take more than one or two a day. You can skip classes altogether and just talk to people during the day as you feel like it. Just say that you are a new painter and ask for advice and you'll get more than you imagined.

Photos of the con have been posted on the internet and you should not have trouble finding them to get an idea of the environment.

I don't think your wife will get any grief if she needs to come in and find you when it's time to go. Reaper folks are extremely friendly.

The only problem I can think of with Rcon is that there is simply way too much going on at any one time to take part in it all. Not that I didn't try last year. It was my first year, and other than a limited Forum presence I didn't know anyone. That didn't really seem to be a issue though. Everyone was more than friendly, and none of the artist got mad at me lurking around their tables staring.

• Artists

You might also enjoy this thread from last year:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/44512-the-newb-guide-to-reapercon-or-reapercon-101/

And this one has more information on activities at the con in addition to painting classes:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42041-reapercon-basics/

If you haven't been to a lot of conventions, I think a smaller one like ReaperCon is a great place to start! (Or even if you have been to some. ;->) Particularly if you don't have a friend or spouse who'll be spending time there with you. It's pretty easy to get to talking to someone over lunch or during a class, and then to find them again later.

ReaperCon is probably the most painting-intense convention I'm aware of. There are other conventions that offer great classes (Gen Con, Adepticon, and GenghisCon are the ones that first come to my mind). Reaper is the only one that takes place in a facility where miniatures and paints are manufacturered so you can learn directly from the people who make them. The sculptors and painters who teach the classes have an area where they hang out and you can talk with them, and there are tables where people just sit and paint so you can do that and talk to yet more painters. At something like Gen Con, there are terrific classes and other mini related events, but there are also a ton of other things to do, so finding and hanging out with people you've just met is a lot harder to make work. (And people are often much more rush-rush even if you can find them.)