Against the Kobolds

Loim

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loim is right - I am a gigantic slacker.

On my character sheet I see I took a language for a non-weapon proficiency - but it was burrowing animal, as part of her backstory (she was a scholar, a linguist, even, before getting the sword-wielding bug).

According to the handbook, with an Int score of 14, she can begin with up to 4 languages (and as dwarf-kin, dwarven is one of them) or she can begin with the number of proficiency slots I've allotted to languages, if that system is used. So from that I gather that it's an either/or choice?

It can go either way, but I interpret it to mean you can learn 4 additional languages beyond your cradle language. But to learn additional languages beyond your starting languages you spend non-weapon proficiency points. Demi-humans always get common for free, unless the person playing decides that they don't want to start knowing common. If Eldan were raised by Minotaurs he would have started with Minotaur and Common, but he was raised by humans, so he speaks common. 

I'm a total slacker, and I apologize. My annual conference trip was extended this year because I road tripped out with friends instead of flying, and even when I've managed to scrounge some bandwidth, I have completely forgotten to check the postings here.

I should be back by Monday, hopefully in time to catch up and post.