Sign in to follow this  
Jasper_the_2nd

Bones with Quickshade WIPs while at Work

Day two of the Ogre.

I'm really enjoying painting this guy. He's got some awesome detail. I really like how all the straps are thought out and have buckles, and fold over where they should, etc.

Unfortunately he also has some serious mold lines, which I tried to clean up for a few minutes yesterday (all I had available was my metal files though...). Going to see what I can do to make them less distracting, and just keep telling myself "table top" quality.

May need to order a few more of these guys though, and play around with modding them, later. Likely much later. (The modding I mean, I'll likely order them far, far sooner).

Anyway, end of lunch, ran out of time on the metal so will have to get his shoulder plate later.

post-8239-0-02585900-1360258729.jpg

• Like 1

Day 3 on the Ogre.

Pretty much finished up the base coat. Fairly happy with the colors, though I might change the gem to a different color, that turned out kind of pink. The bracelet on his left wrist I'm thinking copper or brass, both of which are home, so they didn't get done.

I've got a bunch of touching up to do and a lot of little details I'd like to at least hit with color, so I'm thinking two more lunches for this guy. I hope my pack of goblins I threw into my last order get here soon. Be nice to paint something a little smaller so it doesn't take 4 - 5 days...

post-8239-0-53886500-1360343095.jpg

post-8239-0-33376600-1360343094.jpg

Oh, and I should probably do his mouth at some point. Forgot about that until I looked at the pictures.

• Like 1

Day 4 of the Ogre. Mostly fiddly little bits got done today. Lots of touch ups.

Tried mixing a color to look sort of scar/woundish, may have come out too pinkish. Oh well. Perhaps I should have taken a look on line to see how others do that first...

I think all that is really left is to put a little drybrush on the grey fur, and to do up the rest of the metals. I always save them for the end of the session and ran out of time today cleaning up my other mistakes.

post-8239-0-15567500-1360604058.jpg

post-8239-0-54767700-1360604059.jpg

• Like 2

Hopefully the kids won't ask what I did at work today.

"Painted an Ogre's toenails."

So Day 5 and the Ogre is as done as he's getting. Going home tonight to get Quickshaded.

post-8239-0-26008800-1360694272.jpg

post-8239-0-61327500-1360694273.jpg

• Like 2

While Chief Ogre soaks in his Quickshade bath at home, my goal for today is to get ready for Valentines Day, so no painting today at lunch.

Gotta keep the Missus happy, or she might stop painting my townsfolk....

On to the Cave Troll. He's a keener. Had his hand up asking to be painted since day one....

My order of plastic sanding needles came in yesterday. These are the ones Loim mentioned here:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47483-plastic-sanding-sticks-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-bones/

I ordered a pack of each grit, since I was paying for shipping anyway.

post-8239-0-44595000-1360862917.jpg

White is the finest grit, blue is medium, gray is course.

Spent a few minutes cleaning up the troll, not that his mold lines were bad. So anywhere you don't see a mold line is because of these sticks. Anywhere you do see one is because I'm blind as a bat when it comes to mold lines. :)

I really like how they worked. Easy to control and quick.

On to the troll. I grabbed all (I think 8 total) greens last night and brought them. Not a lot of variety, I've never worked with green much, other than Goblin Green. I think the colors I picked out will work out ok though. I like how the "wash" (actually a dark green ink) looks where I tested it on his back.

post-8239-0-44256400-1360862916.jpg post-8239-0-14448600-1360862915.jpg

Got a fair amount done considering I did some filing and had to decide on coloring. still need to go over some of the darker green again as it doesn't cover supper well in one coat. The purple covered quite miserably, so it'll require a good going over tomorrow too.

Any thoughts on how to do where the colors meet? Keep it distinct, or blend or something? I'm not really sure how I want it to look...

Not sure how I'm going to finish this guy either. Quickshade String would likely change the colors more than I want. Maybe I'll go with the Dark as it's black based, and just keep it a thin coat.

As always, C&C is always welcome.

• Like 2

You can mix both colors and paint it over the the line where the color meet.

On the yellow side you paint after it with more yellow and on the green side with more green than yellow.

Thin the paint with water.

(äh, no, she shows defenitly in the other video the blending steps...)

Girlpainting talks about another video she made about using wet blending, I think there will be more explanations how to do it.

Edited by Teskal
  • Like 1

I was too tired to try painting today (I'm on call for work this week. Had 4 issues over the last 3 nights, incluDing 1:30 and 4:30 this morning).

So instead I tried out a HD color (a friend got some) vs a standard MSP. I like the coverage. May have to order some eventually.

Then I tried doing some wet blending with those two colors off the troll to see how I'd do.

post-8239-0-28123600-1360947914.jpg

It took me a few tries to get to anything even remotely passable, but I think it came out ok.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Sure looks way, way, way better than the attempts I've made at wet blending ^_^

It looks like you've got the right concept, and the style certainly seems to work for you. Try it on a few more minis, see how you like the results.

As an aside, Anne Forester and Jen Haley discuss wet blending a bit on their wonderful DVD set. They recommend not thinning your paint quite as much, and adding a tiny bit of drying retarder to extend the paint wetness. Apparently that makes the process simpler, though I can't say anything for sure.

I should get a fair amount of practice on the troll next week.

Hmm, drying retarder eh? I was just doing up an order for some brushes and stuff. Guess I can add one more thing to try it out.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Day two working on the Cave Troll. Today was all about trying to blend the transitions between the dark green and the Slime (the old AD&D paints had wonderful names...).

Not really sure how happy I am with the results; I think my work on the test Gretchin came out better. I may be trying to get it to blend over too short a distance to get a decent transition, or using too much water (fluid medium and drying retarder are still in transit) or I may be rushing too much, or I may just need to do a few more layers of it. Not really sure.

Also, phone decided it wanted to focus on my cubicle wall far more than it wanted to focus on the troll today, so had some problems getting shots.

post-8239-0-13939900-1361208243.jpg

I also did a quick test with my darkest green to see how it would look for the warts/lumps.

post-8239-0-04708300-1361208242.jpg

Thoughts?

Cave Troll Day 3.

I think things went better with the blending today. Since I still don't have any of those handy additives that would help with the process, I ended up mixing some shades between the two colors, then wet blending the original colors and those. It seemed to help with making it more transitional.

So I think the transitions are ok anyway. At least for my first try.

post-8239-0-46154700-1361296906.jpg

Also base coated his hair and nails today.

My camera really doesn't like this guy. I don't think it likes the greens. I'm having a heck of a time getting it to focus on him at all, and it seems to give a pretty mediocre result even when it does focus. I think he looks much better in person.

Took yesterday off from painting after slipping on ice and falling on my steps at home the night before.

Back is feeling a little better today so, Day 4 of the Cave Troll.

Mostly little details, touch ups, and playing with inks today.

I "think" he looks better at the end of it, but not really sure I accomplished a lot.

post-8239-0-86172800-1361466388_thumb.jpgpost-8239-0-28706900-1361466390.jpg

All I really plan to do with him tomorrow is finish up the base and put a purple ink on the loin cloth. Pretty sure I have one at home.

Still not sure which quickshade I'm going to use on him. I'm taking the gretchen I practiced blending on home to test on.

I got one of my orders from Reaper yesterday, so I think up next I'll be starting some goblins. Still unsure what color to make them, so might try a couple different ones. Yellow, orange, brown, green? Anything else?

• Like 1