Sign in to follow this  
farseer

25 years of gaming, just figured out what Warlord is

Thanks for the replies and insight. I am going to have to order the savage north book to check things out. I was chatting with my group on saturday and funny enough, they all thought it was a mass combat game as well. When I mentioned what it was, they all got interested. I agreed to bite the bullet and check it out more.

How long before the kickstarter bones stuff hits? With the P65 line getting disco'd some of the giants and big stuff for the icingstead may be unavailable for a while. DAMN I wish I kicked. Had no idea there was a wargame...

Nice comparison to historicals.

And you know, if we get entrenched, why can we not make up our own stats for new models as they come out? :-)

The KS minis are anticipated to ship in March. Reaper has said they would start releasing the KS minis into the distribution/retail chain after the last of the KS backer packages has shipped, so March-ish as well. Provided everything goes smoothly.

I have no idea if they will stagger the releases over the coming year or just release them all at once, so it is hard to say when some of those models will become available retail. Secondary markets may be a good place to keep your eyes peeled between KS shipping and minis entering retail (if there is any significant lag time) as people look to unload models they did not want, but were included in the pledges.

Qwyk - thanks for the heads up. And good call on the secondary market. I will have to start looking/making my wants known.

Sooooo....anyone NOT want their icingstead compatable ks stuff? :-)

All KS product will be released at once, and your store can order it from their distributor now (if their any good).

Icingstead was only supported by monsters and warlords, no troops. (This made me a sad pander as Fire Giants got 2 troopers and 2 heroes but don't have an army.)

Qwyk- thank you for the link. For all the surfing around that I do on this site now I cannot believe I missed it. Of course its all I have this ks and want that ks stuff so I will have to see about breaking in....

Obsidian - thanks for the heads up. My flgs is awesome and brings in at least one of each reaper release usually. And someone is buying them cause they dont have more than 50 blisters or so in stock and what is there is fairly recent.

Sounds like we have to make our own fire giant list then. ;-)

So I have a trade pending for the savage north book. Lets see what happens....

I only wish I could get more games of Warlord in than I do. Busy lately. I get itchy, irritable, inattentive, and impatient if I don't get my Warlord on.

I know people want Warlord to be more like other games companies, but I'm pleased as punch with just the one book, and an eventual purchase of Savage North. We have enough to collect ALL the armies and throw dice for years!

I'm sure Bones will allow people to buy into this great game at a better price, but I have no worries for myself. I have Celtos models on deck for Necropolis and Elves, Heresy, Hasslefree, Red Box, Enigma, and so many others that I can build just about anything with time and effort. The funny thing is, I still want to buy many (if not all) of the Reaper models too.

I also got tired of GW awhile ago and bought the Savage North rulebook out of curiosity. One of the things I really like about the game is that I can dual-purpose minis to use in my D&D and Warlord skirmish games. I plan to start playing after my KS minis get here, man, I wish I looked into this game before the KS, then I would have gotten apORCalypse. With the bones minis, this game to to inexpensive to pass up.

Warlord is an incredible game to play and has so many facets to keep you coming. The game play is fairly well balanced so that if you really want a themed army you aren't going to be necessarily hampered just because you went with it. I faded away from the game due to life and moving, its hard to play when your minis are sitting in storage, but have been getting things back together to get some more games in. The proxy rules make for a great chance to come up with an army that you not only enjoy the feel of but the look as well. I have an oriental merc army that is just a blast to play and looks cool on the table as well. Usually its just a matter of getting in a few games where people can see you and it comes to life.

Wow, hey, it's been quite a while since I've even posted in these forums. But I'll give you my perspective as a gamer who loves Warlord but never plays it.

I started playing many moons ago prior to the 2.0 reboot. I found it to be a really fun and accessable game that really rewards smart thinking. The basic rules are dead simple, and the complexity comes from all of the different abilities that a model or faction has. So when I started, I had a leader and a bunch of warriors. So did my buddy. We lined them up across the table from each other and had at it. We had loads of fun feeling the tension as models began dying, and in the end, one or two little Dwarves were left and the game was over! We enjoyed how much of a nail biter it was, and were eager to try ranged models, magic, and something other than the basic warrior type soldier.

Years later, after many many games, I found Warlord to be a game with lots of staying power. It wasn't the sort of game where one decision would carry the game for you. Instead, lots of seemingly little choices throughout the game compound together to make or break the game. Nearly every game is a nail biter because it's a pretty level playingfield. Yes some models are better, but the in-game cost is calculated good enough that there really aren't many (if any) super over powered choices you can make. That's a great thing.

So, I like Warlord because it's a great game where you can agonize over your choices and slowly eak out an advantage over your opponent, and it's also a game where you can have a chance of recovering from a really bad turn.

I don't play anymore because there just isn't a local player base. Everybody locally plays Warmachine. That's OK with me because I like that game too. But I still remember fondly all of those great times I played Warlord. It's a great game.

You would be very correct there, Vince. I always get people asking how I its a legal army and just show them the proxy rules and suddenly people are diving into the catalog and old minis are dug up from ages past and are perfectly fine.

Thanks everyone! I am sold on tryng it and have posted on Bartertown for some trades to get into it. I've already had some offers for the rulebooks, so I only need now confirm the faction(s!) i want to jump into.