Wild West Exodus

MonkeySloth

Started following these guys a bit ago on Facebook.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wildwestexodus/wild-west-exodus-sci-fi-western-miniatures-game

They're a steampunk civil war skirmish game.

Not 100% sure I want to stay in at the full $100 level instead of just picking up a few singles but the Enlightened faction looks to be the coolest.  Don't care much for the union one but the Abe Lincoln concept they've posted on facebook looks cool.

554525_281799435282706_2120162558_n.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they're going plastic for units and possibly resin for heroes. I asked about trollcast and they said no as it's a resin, which isn't true, but the stretch goal is to unlock plastic so I assume standard injection molding.

Edited by MonkeySloth

Sequel! Abe Lincoln: Axe Murderer!

I am really freakin' tempted. Ignore the Civil references, and this game smacks of the imagery seen on the old 80s cartoon, Bravestarr, which was a fun kids show of the time. I just don't know if the nostalgia is worth $105 when I already picked up the series on DVD for cheap last year. Tough decision.

Edited by dariustad

In their comments they say it's going to be something non-metal and one of the stretch goals is making everything plastic (ala Privateer or GW) but when I asked about troll cast they said no. So I'm guessing resin?

I'm torn between this one and god slayer, as I don't think I can afford to do both. I like the concept for WW but so far a majority of the sculpts are lack luster and the D modeling is to blame as pretty much all the units look like they have no souls. The officers\heroes are much better (except for that horrible General Grant--don't know who decided that making him look like some gang member from LA was a good idea) and so picking just the few of those I like post kickstarter might be the way to go.

One of the stretch goals is basically Frankenstein with a chain gun, you can never go wrong with that concept.

So reading the fluff it looks like the Warrior Nation are the good guys and everyone else has been corrupted by the Dark Council. Some of the fluff seams interesting, but I wish so many of the minis weren't so wooden looking (everything in the union and all the normal units). It's a real turn off to the game.

Also they've said they're planning on using the same plastic as Wyrd and GW--which is pretty decent.

I looked at this as something that might be useful for Deadlands, but I agree with MonkeySloth: The minis have a very "wooden" look to them. It looks like all the love went into a few special characters. The regular troops look surprisingly bland. I think what might help would be:

1) Give them more dynamic poses -- even the rank-and-file troopers. The occasional guy with a ramrod straight back is fine, but so MANY of them? The poses need more crouching, more looking like they're about to run, more looking like they're doing something other than just standing in the open and firing leisurely. Even when they have a guy down on one knee, there's no WEIGHT to it. These guys look like mannequins.

2) Exaggerate some of the depth of details more. Maybe these guys would look realistic if blown up to real-life scale, but as miniatures, a lot of those details are probably going to be lost under the first layer of paint. I want more creases when cloth folds, thicker armor (so there's more of a transition between the armor piece and whatever is underneath it),

Also, while I'm glad to see the "Iron Horses" finally displayed, it'd be nice if the rider and vehicle were separate pieces. I realize this is a wargame, so if the thing is treated as a single unit in-game, it wouldn't add much to make it a separate part -- but I like having a little more freedom in rider-swapping for minis. (I'm really not a fan at all of molded-on riders for horses or bikes when it comes to minis.)

But the real killer for me has got to be the price. These might be plastic minis, but those aren't plastic prices. Sure, it'd be a bit much for me to expect BONES prices, but at $5 a mini or so, that's around what I pay for metal these days.

Edited by Jordan Peacock