Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
Last day for October, but still got one in.
I realize this is not a halloween type mini, but the thought was there. I was testing a few things here, but can't believe what came out. I should have been taking photos as i went to articulate this point better, but I'll do my best to explain.
Mistake #1. I thought i grabbed my bottle of black Stynlrez primer, but it turned out to be my black wash. It ended up making a cool effect on the model with highlights being untouched. Since this is a bones USA model, the material takes to paint and primers really well. Mistake turned into a win, but note the paint didn't grab the wash as well.
Mistake #2. Tried to do a contrast paint effect. Didn't work. The contrasted area turned into a great template for me to work with in laying my next colors down, so not all a loss. The model looked muddy and i nearly just put it down.
Mistake #3. I had to keep in mind, it never looks good at the layering point. KEEP GOING. Putting more color down, adding depth, and touching up with highlights makes a big difference.
Now i felt like i was making progress and could see hope. I did the hair, and that made me feel way better. The brightness in the hair made me feel like i had some "pop" to it. Now we're getting somewhere.
Overall, i added more layers, edge highlighted, black lined, and shaded in areas. He came out looking decent. Last model for October and I'm happy with him.
I am planning on running a Savage Worlds Tyrnador campaign. The campaign steals heavily from the new Pathfinder Savage World ruleset.
My son created a hallfing commander and he chose the halfling with the torch from the Dungeon Dwellers set as his character. I modified the mini by adding a banner (after watching several tutorial videos). He selected a green 4-leaf clover on an orange background for the banner. Was a fun little project with some neat freehand.
His friend created a dwarf ranger/smith as his character and choose the Stonehaven Mechanist (SKU 2795) to represent him:
And a third NPC - his day job is boatswain, so I wanted the armor to not be full plate.... he's currently helping the party do a fetch quest for the captain. I'm pretty satisfied with what I got out for what I put in - but I do notice I seem to have forgotten his eyebrows!
By Chris Palmer
I purchased a pair of the Bones 5 The Dwarf King's Crypt Encounter set as I wanted pairs of a number of the set's scenery items, as well as double the number of the Dwarf Zombies and Dwarf Fighters.
One of the scenery items from the set that I was most looking forward to having a pair of, was the tomb; as I wanted to convert one to be the tombs to be for a Dwarf Queen, to go along with the Dwarf King's tomb.
First thing I would need was a suitable Bones Female Dwarf figure to use as the tomb cover's carving; as I did not trust my ability to sculpt one from scratch. I was not sure what figure to use, as so many of the ones I had, or looked at in the online store, were posed somewhat dynamically. Then, as fate would have it, I came across one of the Gwyddis, Dwarf Valkyrie figures, and realized it was perfect.
While I was doing the conversion, I also took the time to drill and magnetize the lid of the tomb, so it will stay in place during storage and transport.
For step by step post on how I did the convserion, please see my blog: http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2021/10/dwarf-queen-and-king-crypts-bones-5.html
I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and looking forward to painting it up.