Adrift

Bathalian: Bones vs. Metal challenge

Which one is Bones?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. There are two figures - one is Metal. One is Bones. Which figure in the pictures is the Bones miniature?

• The one on the Left.
    • The one on the Right.
    • I cannot tell.

The guy on the right is Bones. The first think I looked for was the staff but they both matched (well played!)

I suspect the mini on the left is the bone due to details on the left hand and belt buckle, seems to be sharper on the mini on the right.

Edited by pocketcthulhu

The right, though I did have to size it up for a bit. I went and looked at my Bones Bathalian (who does not, btw, have a bendy staff) and the fine details made my brain leak out. I hadn't looked at him closely until then.

WOW.

Anyway outside of warping, Bones are awful, awful close once painted. You can tell (unless we're all wrong), but you have to look real close to do it.

Fixing the warping is the only hurdle left.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

bones. bendy staff. right. yup.

Otherwise, wow, no difference! And very nice work on the freehand!!! Can't wait to see the WIP!

Thanks again for doing this.

painting WIPs, experiments and sharing of learning= ∆ for the better in hobby community ::):

• Like 1

I love them both.

The carving on the staff seem rougher on the right one, so I'm assuming that is the Bones. But the back of the robe collar seems somewhat better defined on that one.

Overall, I would say that I'm noticing some differences because I see them side by side. If I were to see the two minis at different times, I'm not sure I would realize they are not simply two casts of the same figure.

Edited by briggart
  • Like 1

The carving on the staff seem rougher on the right one, so I'm assuming that is the Bones. But the back of the robe collar seems somewhat better defined on that one.

That's the really interesting bit... I'd have expected slightly less detail on the (I assume)Bones one, but it seems like it just has different detail. The staff isn't quite as crisp, but the fingers on the non-staff hand look better, and so on. Quite surprising.

Edited by Baugi
  • Like 1

I'd like to point out to everyone who says Bones don't have as much detail, that people are fixating on the bendy staff as the key - nobody has said that they think the level of detail is appreciably different (although people have pointed out differences - that's not the same).

It would be devious to bend the metal staff just a bit to sway others toward voting for it as the bones version...

Naw, I am voting that the right one is the bones.

Yeah, I'm wondering if Adrift bent the metal staff to be similar to the Bones staff. They both look a bit wonky. In a good way.

Slow typing failed me/great minds think alike. I guess so do the two of us as well!

Edited by gmpathfinder
  • Like 1

Granted, I similar thought oh Adrift painting 2 bones or 2 metal figs and having us chase our tails so to speak. My guess is the thought of two bones oy

ld have been an evil SOB and either painted two metal or two Bones just to screw with people. :devil:

Qwyk I had a similar thought of Adrift painting two bones or two metals.

• Like 1

I guess bones is on the right. The staff is the only area where I can see differences when zooming the pictures out to actual size. The curve on the right one, and the lack of detail at the top of teh staff in both front and back. On the back it is missing a strong cresent at the top that the other one has, and on the front, it lacks the crisp divide between the interwined links at the top (on the right one it just looks like an S curve rather than intertwined links.) Otherwise, I can't see any difference in the main body of the figures.

On the gaming table, it is more likely the metal one's staff will get inadvertently bent anyway at which point the paint will flake off, whereas the bones one will be able to withstand such bends and keep its paint intact. For you next challenge, I suggest putting both figs in your pocket with your keys for a day and post the picks what they look like at the end of the day.

BTW, both figs look fantastic!

Edited by badocter
  • Like 1

If it had been me, I'd have been all kinds of devious.

Still . . . the thought had crossed my mind that he might have bent the metal staff.

I'd like to point out to everyone who says Bones don't have as much detail, that people are fixating on the bendy staff as the key - nobody has said that they think the level of detail is appreciably different (although people have pointed out differences - that's not the same).

It's a tough call with the details, and while I settled on Right I'll admit I'm expecting Adrift to come along and cackle that everybody who chose Right got it Wrong.

The fine-etched stuff on the Bones Bathalian is mindblowing. I'd never have thought it was possible. As one who voiced early and vocal doubts about the softness of the detail, I must say this is pretty tasty crow.

• Like 1