Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

Bathalian: Bones vs. Metal challenge

Which one is Bones?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. There are two figures - one is Metal. One is Bones. Which figure in the pictures is the Bones miniature?

• The one on the Left.
    • The one on the Right.
    • I cannot tell.

I went with the right because of the bend on the staff (although that may well be a red herring as mentioned) but the detail on it is slightly less refined.

Basically I can tell that there is a very minor difference between the figures but I'm not really certain which is which, and that's as good as no difference in end result as far as I'm concerned

I can't tell them apart, but I have a particular reason for saying the one on the left is Bones. But there is another particular reason why I might be wrong. It's not to do with detail, but with machining and material.

There are two detail points where I think there might be a difference but they contradict each other!

• Like 1

I'm on board with the one on the right being Bones as well for the reasons stated by most others. However, I actually think it looks slightly better than the metal one. It may just be a variation in the paint or light, but it seems slightly brighter and more vibrant to me.

I am very impressed with both and now I'm even MORE anxious to get my plethora of minis in the next couple months.

• Like 1

I voted the left one because the right hand looked a little less defined than the other model. Really the more I look at it the less I see *any* difference at all. Man I'm gonna love having all these Bones come March!

I think this was a fantastic experiment, thank you so much for sharing!! Wonderful paint jobs on both and I think it really shows how awesome the Bones stands up to even 'zoomed in' scrutiny. I agree there are tell tales when you look closely at a Bones figure compared to metal, but standalone, it certainly stands up on it's own. Shoot, side by side, it obviously holds it's own too! Fantastic job both by manufacturer and painter.

* an aside, didn't someone post something about using hot water to warm the mini in order to repose a bendy figure? And then cold water to lock it in or something like that? worth a try to get those staffs and swords as straight as possible.

• Like 2

I voted couldn't tell.

The left one's head folds are less refined, the pendent or belt buckle (w/e that is supposed to be) seems to have less detail, the etching in the trim on his sleeves is less crisp, and the etchings for the embroideries on the back of his robes seem less crisp. However, the folds in his robes, front and back seem finer and to flow better, and the staff and his tentacles have more squiggles.

The guy on the right however seems to have crisper etchings on his trims and embroideries, and his head folds are very pronounced where the other's look soft.

The missing squiggles on the staff could be casting defects on either the part of bones or metal, we all know that happens. I've had crisp details and "mushy" details with metals, haven't had the chance to work on bones yet, so I cannot speak to that.

So overall, I think Adrift did a very good job of showing us that bones are of equal quality to metal! ^_^

• Like 1

I think the bottom edge of the robe when viewed from the back is what gave it away for me. I believe the one on the right is the bones mini.

That said, you did an incredible job on it. I would allow you to do my entire bones order based on that show of quality. I wouldn't even charge you to do it!

• Like 2

I'm not sure. It's only been 2 days since I put this up, and I wanted to give it enough time for people to participate or at least get a look.

When would you all like to know?

• Like 1