Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

Bathalian: Bones vs. Metal challenge

Which one is Bones?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. There are two figures - one is Metal. One is Bones. Which figure in the pictures is the Bones miniature?

• The one on the Left.
    • The one on the Right.
    • I cannot tell.

i cant tell. the figure on the right is more crisp for many of the details, but parts of the robe look more rounded. im ignoring the bendy staff, because i suspect that could go either way. nicely done.

• Like 1

Well, I figure 3 days is enough time.

Left = metal

Right = bones

In any case I think that the quality of the Bones line holds true. Minor differences occur between the materials, but not so significant as to cause much alteration with regards to the quality to which they can be painted.

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 4

Left = metal

Right = bones

If you'd been sneaky about the bending, I'd say more people would have been fooled. It really was a tough call. You're a master artisan, sir, in either material.

Thanks buglips. I did bend the metal staff to match better, but clearly not enough. It's ironic to me how many people used that as their trigger. The ability to paint them up and try to discern that way, was the point. <_<

• Like 1

Left = metal

Right = bones

In any case I think that the quality of the Bones line holds true. Minor differences occur between the materials, but not so significant as to cause much alteration with regards to the quality to which they can be painted.

I ignored the staff (and voted left) but overall, there is no discernible difference between the two and will be more than happy to purchase and paint bones in the future... heck may "rebuild" my lizardman army if enough models are redone (hint hint... more Ben Siens lizardmen!!!!)

• Like 2

Honestly, I don't think there was enough of a difference between the end results to say one was better than the other, different, but not better.

• Like 2

This whole experiment really makes me wish I would have had the opportunity to do this before the Reaper Bones KS. I wonder how many people skeptically held back and something like this could have made it explode even bigger; speaking selfishly as a participant who would have liked even more Bones goodness in my pledge. :wub:

• Like 7

I think you bent the staff enough, because that isn't what I used to determine which was the Bones mini.

You are right a comparison between the two before the KS would have helped, especially seeing how much traffic my blog entry about the Bones I had generated without such a direct comparison.

• Like 1

This whole experiment really makes me wish I would have had the opportunity to do this before the Reaper Bones KS. I wonder how many people skeptically held back and something like this could have made it explode even bigger; speaking selfishly as a participant who would have liked even more Bones goodness in my pledge. :wub:

If/when Reaper decides to do a follow-up Kickstarter, I think the initial pledge levels will explode like crazy.

• Like 1

Oh hands down, with 17,000 people getting an update email saying they are doing a new one? I wouldn't be surprised to see 1mil in the first 2 days on their next kickstarter, with a high of 4-5million if it's the same quality and variety without any double ups.

I definitely think you did a masterful job on both, the only reason I went for the bendy staff was I'm painting up some plastic miniatures with bendy spears. That's just a casting difference, not a quality, painting difference at all.

I'm even more excited for MLOP (Massive Load of Plastic) that's on its way now.

• Like 1

The staff is the biggest giveaway, but more than just the bend. Look at how it connects with the figure. The staff is also has more girth and the finger details are a bit soft on it. The second giant giveaway is the folds of the cloak are a touch larger, and the cloak edges are just a touch softer. Not enough to mater but enough to notice. The pendant is also a touch "gummy bear" looking. Overall good job Adrift.

I actually disagree that the details are tells on this mini. I looked over mine real close, and there's no mar or softness at all to the pendant or trim. It's mindblowingly crisp. And the staff is unbent. So if Adrift had gotten the one I got instead, I don't think people would have been able to so easily guess. In fact, I'm willing to go as far as to say that the fine detail on my Bones Bathalian is actually superior to the detail on some of my DHL metals.

With the Ogre I found him softer in detail, and the differences only hid after paint went on both. But if my Bones experiences hadn't already convinced me, this Bathalian totally would have. I cannot stress enough that even after I went on my Bones painting adventure I didn't think this level of fidelity was remotely possible in Bones.

While that may not be the case for each Bones vs Metal example, this mini I have here definitely and clearly demonstrates that Bones is capable of equalling the quality of detail.

It's only made me more excited to see the KS Bones. I was skeptical about some of them because they looked a bit complicated to translate.

• Like 1

Thanks buglips. I did bend the metal staff to match better, but clearly not enough. It's ironic to me how many people used that as their trigger. The ability to paint them up and try to discern that way, was the point. <_<

The problem with that approach is unless they're 100% the same cast there will always be tells and since plastic does have differences from metal people will look for those tells first if they're aware of them. Paint is paint, in the hands of a good painter they were going to look good on those terms regardless of the material they were made out of. Heck I could cut off half the detail and hand it Darkstar and have him freehand all that detail back in and no one would know just via photos.

The issue with Bones is and always will be how different the plastic behaves compared to other materials and whether or not you, as a hobbyist are fine with those differences. I took a risk on it and may end up throwing out anything that's human sized as so far I've hated how the material holds up for things like weapons and small fiddly bits while I love it for larger sculpts where it's clearly superior to metal, I may find that I don't mind replacing most of the weapons with metal or hard plastic ones, or I may end up not caring (which I doubt because I hate bendy weapons).

I know it's not kosher to speak ill of Bones here but, while it is great for a lot of reasons, they are differences and people that have worked with it can spot that are hard to cover up with paint.